IGNORED

Helmet or boots?

Miriam

As you may know we have some pretty rigorous training to get through here before getting a motorcycle licence. What it does not include though is swimming with ATTGATT. Crossing so many rivers on just about every bike ride here and given the fact that most of this riding is done below sea level, I ended up wondering what the first thing is you should try to take off if ferry sinks? My guess would be gloves, but then what? Helmet or boots?

If I were to remove anything (which I probably wouldn't) it would be boots next - the polystyrene lining of the helmet is bouyant and is less of an issue in the water. Also, if you are on a sinking ferry the last thing you need is concussion from hitting your head as it rolls over. I would keep on ATGATT until I got onto a flotation device, then think about removing things.

Another thought - the bike gear would help you to maintain body heat. If you are unprotected in the North Sea, in deep water, in summer you can expect to live for 15-20 minutes before exposure kills you - ladies live a little longer than men. The bike gear could extend that to an hour or two.

Andy

Pete Darby

As a former collegiate swimmer, class 5 whitewater canoer, scuba diver and deep water ship driver I know a bit about the water including cold water. If you go in keep everything on since as stated it keeps you warm. Clothes, even ATGATT don't weigh much and weigh even less in the water. The key is to keep everything but your mouth in the water. When you swim don't try to lift your arms out of the water but move slowly and gently under the surface with your arms. As long as you relax you should be all right. Your helmet you can leave on or off, It shouldn't soak up much water so will not gain much weight in the air. If you take it off keep air in it and use is as a floatation device if it will hold air

So no danger of boots/jacket/helmet filling up with water and pulling you down? You'd actually float in ATTGATT?

wrestleantares
So no danger of boots/jacket/helmet filling up with water and pulling you down? You'd actually float in ATTGATT?

I don't float with water wings attached, so I guess I'm pretty much screwed. I do know how to make my pants into a flotation device though.

So no danger of boots/jacket/helmet filling up with water and pulling you down?

Water is neutrally buoyant in water. Water won't make you sink in water, not matter how much is in your boots. It's only the boot material itself (leather, plastic) that could be heavier than water.

Your foam helmet and foam armor should be a big help in keeping you afloat.

Miriam,

If this is an issue that you are worried about, I'd buy one of the inflatable motorcycle safety vests, or jackets with a built in system.

These connect to the bike by wire and inflate if you rapidly dismount protecting your neck and core.

Pulling the wire would activate the CO2 cartridges and inflate them providing a PFD.

Just a thought. wave.gif

http://www.hitairaustralia.com/jackets.htm

Standingman.jpg

Thanks Tim.

I saw a demonstration of such a jacket. Pretty impressive. On the down side, they're quite heavy and expensive at the moment. If they can make them lighter, cheaper and slightly simpler to use I'll get one for sure. Instead off doing impressions just of future motor bikes maybe someone should do an impression of a future biker too. ooo.gif

Anyway, I really was wondering if the ATTGATT would sink a biker when in water. I would not have thought it would float so well as has been suggested. Just remembering Jeff Buckly walking into the Mississippi with his boots on.

Just remember fat floats better than muscle. When my body fat got down to 14%, I could barely swim, and sunk like a rock.

Lesson learned: Eat lots of twinkies, ho-ho's, and Ding Dongs and keep your gear on if you're going down with the ship! thumbsup.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

I am not so sure that works (fat floats) as I am about 100 pounds overweight and sink like a stone in water. blush.gif

Archived