IGNORED

How to open BMW cases

bmurphypdx

bmurphypdx

I can't believe I have to ask but . . . I just received the side cases and top case for my R1200ST. The lock cylinders are not installed while I wait to rekey them to my ignition key. Using a screwdriver, I can "release" the bags but I can't open them?????!!!! ?What gives? I rotate the slot at the bottom of the key cylinder hole to align with "Open" but the latches don't operate. What am I missing here? THANKS!!!

Not sure if your bags are the same as the ones I have on my RT, but there's two sets of handles. The main carry handle and then a very thin handle underneath that. It's the thin handle that unlatches the bag so it can open.

Also, the seal on the bags is pretty tight. Sometimes, it takes a little extra umph to actually get the top and bottom to separate.

Paul Mihalka

When the lock is in the bag, this is how it works: With the lock in the open position, it can be without the key, you push down/in on the lock. This makes a black lever on the side of the handle to pop up. You fully lift up that black lever and the bag opens.

Paul accurately described the procedure, but on mine, it is difficult most times just to push on the lock - I find I need to push down first on the black lever while pushing down on the lock, then the lever will easily pop up (I guess it takes the pressure off the release mechanism).

bmurphypdx

Thanks. Using a screwdriver in the empty lock hole while waiting to recode the lock did not work. I inserted the key cylinder and the mechanism works fine. I'll just have to remove the lock cylinder from the case when I am ready to recode it. A PITA but at least I can use the case now and will just have to deal with multiple keys for a while.

JustKrusen

The screw driver just locks, unlocks and releases the mounting system. To open just unlock and press the ring around where the key lock fits into.

In a previous post I said: Not sure if your bags are the same as the ones I have on my RT, but there's two sets of handles. The main carry handle and then a very thin handle underneath that. It's the thin handle that unlatches the bag so it can open.

Also, the seal on the bags is pretty tight. Sometimes, it takes a little extra umph to actually get the top and bottom to separate.

Obviously different bags. Sorry 'bout that. Glad you got the information you needed.

Archived