Fitted ear plugs

Jon_M

As part of my annual physical I got a hearing test and let myself be talked into a set of custom fitted ear plugs for $110. I've been using the Leight foam reusables that give 33db reduction. The audiologist persuaded me that 33db was overkill, in effect simulating deafness, when all I really want to accomplish is a noise reduction into the safe range. The ones I bought are recommended for motorcyclists and some construction workers (not the really heavy duty stuff) and provide 15db reduction. They just arrived and fit perfectly. So far they seem comfortable and I can still hear most stuff, just at an attenuated level. If they still feel good under the helmet, I think they are going to be a welcome change.

(I will still use the Leights on the light rail to work because it takes that much reduction to block out the cell phones. Teenagers discussing their love interests and lawyers discussing their cases are worse than Harleys.)

As part of my annual physical I got a hearing test and let myself be talked into a set of custom fitted ear plugs for $110. I've been using the Leight foam reusables that give 33db reduction. The audiologist persuaded me that 33db was overkill, in effect simulating deafness, when all I really want to accomplish is a noise reduction into the safe range. The ones I bought are recommended for motorcyclists and some construction workers (not the really heavy duty stuff) and provide 15db reduction. They just arrived and fit perfectly. So far they seem comfortable and I can still hear most stuff, just at an attenuated level. If they still feel good under the helmet, I think they are going to be a welcome change.

(I will still use the Leights on the light rail to work because it takes that much reduction to block out the cell phones. Teenagers discussing their love interests and lawyers discussing their cases are worse than Harleys.)

I think your audiologist just made a little more profit from you. I wear Leights (33 db) and can tell fine what's going on around me while wearing them. I can also hear fine without them. No change in order for me.

I think your audiologist just made a little more profit from you. I wear Leights (33 db) and can tell fine what's going on around me while wearing them. I can also hear fine without them. No change in order for me.

I have normal hearing and a 33db noise reduction radically alters what I hear. Why else wear them? With the plugs in and the helmet on, normal conversation is very difficult and I hear almost no engine or wind noise on the bike. On the train, cell phone conversations to the right and left of me are almost totally inaudible. As the plugs expand, the chatter gets softer and softer until it practically disappears. I can hear the station stops announced on the PA system, but that's about it.

Wear what works for you; maybe you have astonishingly acute hearing.

tom collins

i sprang for a pair of custom fitted plugs a few years ago. they are great, you will love them. if you are like me, you will use them all the time when running power equipment such as weed trimmers and mowers as well as on the bike so you will easily get your money's worth.

tom collins

I got some several years ago in Sturgis.. never have liked them to much, just hurt my ears after about 20 min…

My .02 cents…

I've used them for years, and love them, but it was not love at first. I found them painful after a few hours, until I discovered that they need to be lubricated. Buy a little bottle of OtoEase at your drugstore, and put a single drop on the plug before insertion. It makes a better seal, and keeps them comfy for hours. Best $4 you can spend on protecting you ears.

Buy a little bottle of OtoEase at your drugstore, and put a single drop on the plug before insertion.

Good advice. Otherwise the temptation is to use spit, which I understand is not wise.

I have normal hearing and a 33db noise reduction radically alters what I hear. Why else wear them? With the plugs in and the helmet on, normal conversation is very difficult and I hear almost no engine or wind noise on the bike. On the train, cell phone conversations to the right and left of me are almost totally inaudible. As the plugs expand, the chatter gets softer and softer until it practically disappears. I can hear the station stops announced on the PA system, but that's about it.

Wear what works for you; maybe you have astonishingly acute hearing.

Apparently, you're correct. I wonder why?

• 2 weeks later...
bootylicious

I was asked to wear one but spent my money on a sleek pair of BMW leather boots.

Annabelle

BMW Leather Boots - Get the BMW Riders Apparel Catalog by BMW Motorrad

Archived