IGNORED

Stupid is as stupid does...

outpost22

O.K., so I KNOW better than to take my RT off the bike lift without my GF handy to make sure I don't lose my balance and drop it on it's right side. Well, yep, you guessed it. The bike only suffered very minor cosmetic blems, but when I went to start it, it smokes like one of Saddam Husseins torched oil wells. I shut it down after just 30-45 seconds with it still smoking heavily. Is this oil burn temporary, or could I have done someting terminal??? bncry.gif

As a side light, my Aeroflow was literally bent 90 degrees when it fell on my boat fender. Surprisingly, it displayed no damage at all (yet) when I righted the bike . crazy.gif

It will continue to smoke until all the oil that seeped into the cylinder is burned off. I would think that it would have burned off within that 45 seconds.

I am assuming that you hear no 'bad' engine noises.

I am assuming that you hear no 'bad' engine noises.

The engine had no "bad" sounds, only a little rough running. I assume the oil was inhibiting the combustion process from being totally smooth in the right cylinder. I am surprised my neighbors didn't call 911 and report me to the EPA crazy.gif

Theophilus

Outpost,

Not so stupid, but you may want to look carefully again at that windshield. Do it while sitting on the bike. Are the top and bottom outlines of the screen still symmetric with respect to the bike's centerplane? Are the left and right bottom portions equidistant from the tupperware in a slightly raised configuration? I dropped my RT on its right side against a gas pump this March, also wadding up the Aeroflow, and it miraculously came back to shape when I got the bike righted, or so I thought.

The screen is not badly misshapen, but on close investigation, the windshield is somewhat deformed. It does not allow me to answer in the affirmative to the questions I posed above. After querying this group, I am pretty sure that if I detached it from the raising/lowering linkage it would spring back to its proper shape and that my right linkage is slightly bent. When I get some time, I am going to systematically and gently bend it back and see how that goes. Another telltale sign that something is not quite right is that there is some very slight noise coming from the mechanism upon raising and lowering the screen. I am pretty sure it did not make that noise before the mishap.

YMMV

Archived