IGNORED

News Release: Hopz Buys BMW R1100R

hopz

For Immediate Release

Usually reliable sources have reported that Hopz, aka Bob, has completed the purchase and is in posession of a Dark Metallic 1995 R1100R Roadster BMW.

Scientists have been checking on unusual seismic activity, abnormal sun spots, and global warming, but so far no one can find reliable reasoning behind Hopz's actions. Historically Hopz has been a rider since 1991 of only Harley-Davidson brand motorcycles, and there is no rational explanation for this purchase. One can only assume that given his advanced age, some slip has occured in his normally rational behavior.

The R11R as it is called was advertised on Craig's list in his hometown and after several weeks of fruitless attempts at contact- the unit was finally inspected last Sunday, and on Monday negotiations began in earnest.

While the unit was considerably dirty, investigations revealed that the unit had been last serviced by Motorcycle R and R. MR&R is a highly respected independent shop of the highest caliber of workmanship. The leaders of that fine establishment were able to confirm many points of the units history and even a list was generated of its defects. Hopz, after considerable search was able to make monetary offers that encompassed the necessary work, and after some thought the seller "saw the light" and conceded to Hopz's final, all-in offer.

Both parties seemed pleased at the conclusion of the talks, and The grin on Hopz's face was estimated at 100watts, minimum.

It is expected that in the near future intensive cleaning and inspection will occupy his time and reports of the findings will be issued periodically. An early bulletin revealed the presence of ABS brakes and heated grips, neither of which showed up on the bill of particulars made by the seller. In addition, the BMW system cases appeared to be in fine shape showing only normal signs of useage.

The H-D community was not entirely despondent as it was confirmed that the new unit was to be stable mate and not a replacement. Sighs of relief were noted from the Salt Lake area, as well as in the locations of his recent past buddies in Houston, and Florida.

Stay tuned for reports... we now return you to your previously scheduled program.

_________________ clap.gif

Good for you thumbsup.gif

Remember, resistance is futile lmao.gif

Don't like to think you grew up to beemers, but NOW U see the light tongue.gif

You will all get to see the baby, but first we have to finish the labor pains.... lmao.gif

She's a 95 w/55k miles. Used as a college commuter by a young man who apparently inherited it from his father. Looks like he did not have access wash station nor desire to clean it up. Relocated cross country and left bike for a friend to sell.

Circumstances created a situation where the need to sell influenced the price. My good fortune. Purchase price was somewhat lower than I feel comfortable in revealing- lest I damage my karma, but lets just say it was considerably less than $2k.

Everything checks out good. No damage, but some lack of care in certain areas, like needs alternator belt, and probably throttle cable.

Bonus was that it has ABS/Heated Grips/System cases which were not listed when the negotiating began. On ride home yesterday grips were getting hot, and I did a WTF? before I noticed the icon on the dash...GRIPS!

ABS needs some attention. Still flashing- something wrong in there somewhere.

OBTW after all this chatter about seat height- the old and ratty Corbin seat was set to HIGH position and I dealt with it fine. About a 50 mile ride home, and I learned that I need bar backs and lower seat- but otherwise it is a comfortable ride.

I like the peg position and esentially the lower body is perfect position, but need to get some weight off my wrists.

It has the original BMW windscreen and it performed pretty darn good at interstate speeds. Has some scratches that I need to learn about removing.

Details to follow. Thanks for all you input and support.

Did I do good?

Bob

It runs......"Less than 2K".........You're liable to be brought down to the station for questioning by the robbery detail !!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.giflmao.giflmao.gif

lurker.gif

We need proof smirk.gif.....Pictures; before and after.....

Phil..........Redbrick

lets just say it was considerably less than $2k.

I hate you Bob!!! grin.gif

Like it was said......it runs, and at highway speed. For that price its an absolute steal. Hell, I've been shopping for a wrecked and/or neglected 10+ yr old japanese crotch rocket and still can't find one for a price like that.

Like I said... I sort of feel bad, but it was a deal we both agreed to.

Here are the baby Pictures- Warts and All. Sorry but they got out of sequence on the way to the photo site- and please excuse the bum who wandered into the picture- the old fart with the red hat...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNXDlm2bNWYD

Let me know what you detect in the photos that is of special interest... clap.gif

Congrats on the new bike. That's the one I've got -- even the color. I looked through your photos, and the optional items I spotted are:

-- clock and tach

-- rear rack

-- Corbin saddle (duh)

-- windscreen and mounts

-- cylinder head protectors

-- saddlebags

-- push pins (???)

You got the bike for a steal, but it looks like its had a hard life, so the price seems appropriate.

My bike is at 62k and I put another 700 miles on it last weekend. It's a good runner. Not that I haven't had to repair it, but it comes back from the shop and wants to go.

Your problem with the ABS might be as simple as a battery that's not fully charged. If the computer doesn't see enough voltage at start up, the ABS won't operate.

If you've got any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

-- Larry

Congrats! A great deal.

Larry is right as far as the ABS goes. Check for a tired battery first.

Larry (Hbgbln) Welcome to the board!

Shawnee Bill
Like I said... I sort of feel bad, but it was a deal we both agreed to.

Here are the baby Pictures- Warts and All. Sorry but they got out of sequence on the way to the photo site- and please excuse the bum who wandered into the picture- the old fart with the red hat...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNXDlm2bNWYD

Let me know what you detect in the photos that is of special interest... clap.gif

Wonder if I could get that guy to come clean my bike, it hasn't been that clean in a long time dopeslap.gif serious bncry.gif

Looks like either the valve cover protectors were put on after the fact or they didn't work so well. Those valve covers are almost in as bad a shape as mine.

That turn signal stem costs about $11 and 10 minutes to change out, however that repair job may very well last many 1,000s of miles grin.gif.

Other than that ride it like you almost stole it .... Oh, you almost did lmao.giflmao.gifeek.gif

Great Bike!!! clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Sounds like a great deal. I just came back from a round trip Santa Barbara CA to Corvallis OR last week. What with side trips etc did about 3K. My R1100R 1999 model did not skip a beat and has 55K on the odo. Be sure to flush your brakes and check the alternator belt. If you plan to ride aggressively (yes, I think it can be done on this bike) consider new shocks.

Good luck,

Dave

If you plan to ride aggressively (yes, I KNOW it can be done on this bike) consider new shocks.

Good luck,

Dave

Fixed it for you Dave wave.gifgrin.gif

You guys are great. Thanks for the support and encouragement all these months. I went for a little spin late this afternoon- up one of the canyons I live in. It ran so well, and felt so good. I love it.

Just have to get this seat thing sorted out. the worn out old Corbin is too slick and I'm sliding all around. the previous guy must have had a, well, large ass. Since I can't find the pocket. I have a lead on a custom seat builder here in town who is supposed to do great work. Will let you all know how it goes.

I still have the Harley. That's called Sweeet Silver. The new one is going to be dubbed... "The Silver Beast". So ugly I love it already.

When we were just married we got a Pug puppy. My Mother cried- said it was the ugliest thing she ever saw, but she loved that dog. I now know how she felt.

Thanks again,

Bob

mikeR1100R

Looks like you got some nice extras with the bike. I have a 98 R1100R and I wish I had an icon or idiot light to tell me my grip heaters were on! Good luck with her.

Mike.

Archived