IGNORED

Alternative to Pilot Road?

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I ride two-up 99 percent of the time. My current tire has about 5,000 miles on it, and, while still showing some tread, is pretty squared off. I imagine I can get another thousand miles out of it. Is this typical for a two-up situation? I was used to replacing the rear on the Goldwing in about that many miles.

So my question: is there a longer-lived tire for my application? Front is fine, so the secondary question is, is there a good reason NOT to mix tire brands?

I should probably add that no, I don't ride in a straight line on the freeway all the time, but neither do I ride on the street like I do on the track...er, did on the track, until I taught my track bike to somersault one day. Actually, the main reason I'm curious about a "better" tire is that the square profile I've created causes vague cornering feel, and makes it a bit difficult to hold a smooth line through a corner. I've no problem with the Roads' traction at street-level riding.

TIA,

M

John Bentall

The longer lived tyres would be the Metztler Z6, Michelin Pilot Road 2CT, & Pirelli Diablo Strada according to a recent (German) magazine test.

Hope this helps.

John

beemer_me_up

I average at least 12,000 miles per rear tire, and one time 20,000 miles. I do ride solo most of the time though. I have been using Michelins sence 1996 with one exception. My 1150 RT came with Bridgestones and I but 15,000 on them, but I didn't feel as comfortable in the cornors as with the Michelins. Just my 2 cents thumbsup.gif

I average at least 12,000 miles per rear tire, and one time 20,000 miles. I do ride solo most of the time though. I have been using Michelins sence 1996 with one exception. My 1150 RT came with Bridgestones and I but 15,000 on them, but I didn't feel as comfortable in the cornors as with the Michelins. Just my 2 cents thumbsup.gif

What pressures do you use?

markgoodrich

Thanks, John, apparently the Pilot Road 2CT is not yet available in the States. Sure looks like the hot setup.

Archived