Back in the saddle

soboy

I ruptured my left achilles tendon March 17 of this year playing tennis. This is not a fun thing to do, I don't recommend it. Had the surgery March 26, and started physical therapy April 12. The surgeon said if my recovery went perfect, I could walk again the end of June, ride street bikes in July, and maybe dirt riding and tennis in the late fall.

For the last two weeks, my tendon has felt measurably stronger so I decided to put on a pair of running shoes with lots of cushioning and see if I could walk. No problem, but with a limp - much better than using the crutches.

On Mother's Day morning, I took the DR650 out of the garage and fired it up, rode it around the neighborhood - shifting wasn't too bad. I'm a fairly short guy and the DR is kinda tall, so I decided that all stops will be done by putting my good foot down (but the DR is so light compared to the street bikes I have owned lately, that I can hold it and me up at a stop with my "bad" foot if necessary).

Right after I did my test run in the neighborhood, two of my riding pals came by to ride with me. We had two "get back to riding" routes planned - a short 30 mile loop in case the foot gave out on me and a longer 60 mile loop if I was feeling up to it. I chose the 60 mile loop.

It felt great to be on the bike after 2 months off. When we got to the 30 mile point, we decided to keep going. Ended up having lunch in Dahlonega, then taking the long way home via Burnt Mountain and the great twisties of 136.

Total miles for the day - 140. And about ten thousand grins. It's good to be back.

Just be careful. You don't want to set yourself back, Dr. soboy.

Thanks. I was a bit surprised to find that riding the DR and shifting gears was much easier on my tendon than walking. My dirt bike riding chiropractor buddy told me that yesterday's ride was 3 hours of physical therapy for my tendon with all that shifting.

Seriously, I intend to take it easy and get completely healed before I attempt any dualsport riding - I could tell that the tendon is not quite ready for extended standing on the pegs or handling any rough terrain yet. Still, I am just pleased as can be that I can ride on the street without any complications or problems, so that will keep me happy until I can ride in the dirt again.

The moral of the story?

Give up tennis as its a dangerous sport.

Motorcycle riding is WAY safer grin.gif

Congrats on getting back in the saddle but don't overdo it thumbsup.gif

The moral of the story?

Give up tennis as its a dangerous sport.

Motorcycle riding is WAY safer grin.gif

Congrats on getting back in the saddle but don't overdo it thumbsup.gif

So true! I went on a 4 day, 1000 mile Blue Ridge Parkway tour on my Transalp in September - the day after I came back, I almost cut off my right index finger with the hedge trimmer. The ER doc, after hearing where I had been all week, pronounced that motorcycling = good, yard work = bad. Great doc!

Archived