K1200R seat is killing me

LeoS

Anybody do anything to replace the stock K1200R seat? I went on a 130 mile drive yesterday and couldn't do more than 50 miles without stopping. The seat is killing me.

Was hoping to make the drive to the RA rally in Asheville next month, an 850 mile trip for me (each way). No way I'd be able to do it on this seat.

Leo

Last spring I took my KS to Rocky Mayer and had a seat built. They did a nice job, and I've been happy with it.

I doubt you are going to get a custom done from one of the more popular firms within your time frame, but if you have anyone local, you might give that a try.

Ride more.

MYRP.

Sheepskin.

Sheepskin w/gel.

Airhawk.

Bicycle shorts w/gel chamois.

Any of these will help.

I doubt you are going to get a custom done from one of the more popular firms within your time frame, but if you have anyone local, you might give that a try.

I'm afraid that's probably correct. You might be able to find a local automotive upholstery shop that will work with you, though--I'd take them a couple of photos and see what they can do. Failing that, I'd start with a sheepskin seat cover and the bike shorts. Those two items will help a lot.

Another option that's worth exploring is the Verholen seat from A&S. If they have one in stock, you're in luck. Otherwise, their website indicates it may take up to a month to get one from Germany. I don't have any experience with these seats, I've seen one or two good reviews.

Don_Eilenberger

If it's hot-spots that are doing you in - these are because of reduced blood flow to areas of your butt, caused by pressure points from the seat, and perhaps what you're wearing. There is a company that makes underwear for bikers - that have no seams in the butt area except one right up the center. These help me - forget the name of the place that makes them - but they primarily make wrestling shorts - these are a lot like those - same stretchy material.

Some people find relief with beaded seat covers - cheap enough to try and see if it helps. I found these converted about 5 big pain areas into 100 medium pain areas. It was a change in pain - not a real improvement.

What worked for me was a Freedom-Air cushion. http://www.rehabmart.com/product/17184.htm

Same idea as the AirHawk - but a better design IMHO. Aside from having left and right chambers (which avoids the side to side rocking sensation I had on the AirHawk) - the relief in the front of the cushion keeps other parts of my body from getting painfully pinched. I tried the AirHawk - and it relieved my butt pain, but caused me awful pain elsewhere. The FreedomAir doesn't cause that pain.

HTH,

Archived