IGNORED

5 Freeway Wheelie

Bonkorama

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, according to the 2006 census, your a little off.

Miami/Dade county - 2431 sq miles 2.2 million people

Los Angeles county 4060 sq miles 9.9 million people.

Couple of major differences in terms of distribution as well although the cities are more or less similar in that there is a big influx during the day and a corresponding outflow at night from the surrounding counties. Biggest difference is the number of freeways and the directions the folks come from. There is basically nothing south and nothing east in Miami. Just like nothing west of LA. All the traffic is coming from the west or north and there are very few freeways, basically one the size of the 5 and a few like the 101.

Traffic density is similar between the two with the major difference, which you have to experience here to believe, is that in comparison, LA drivers are far better. And yes, I have driven/ridden out there many times and for extended periods. When it comes to drivers, I'll take any part of California over any part of south eastern Florida, any day.

I also grew up in New York City, so you can't pull the heavy traffic card on me, you have no idea. I lived an worked in Hoboken, NJ for about 30 years. In case you didn't know, it has the highest population density of any city in North America with 55K people in 1 square mile. Don't talk to me about crowding.

Bonk, I ride the 5 almost every day (including the stretch through Burbank last night) so I think I know what YOUR traffic is like. I still don't know what you mean by "heavy but loose." Density and speed are two things that everybody is familiar with, so maybe putting it in those terms would help? I also think of traffic as being "choppy" or "smooth" -- think of wind over water -- choppy traffic is when there's a lot of lateral movement; smooth is when everybody basically stays in their lane.

Ed - Pardon my numbers discrepancy, i found a site that reports different numbers than yours.

That you think what the kid did was fine, I get that.

I think it was wreckless.

If he was out on the freeway between Barstow and Vegas where its nothing but tumbleweeds and cars every 2 miles, I got no problems. He can crash and kill himself and maybe his stupid friends tailgating as well and I really couldn't care less. But putting innocent people at additional risk from doing these stunts in prime time 5 freeway traffic is not my idea of fun.

I think its kinda lame.

Better(?) traffic description: specifically the traffic was heavy and fast (and a wee bit more space between cars than normal it seemed). Thats what I meant by loose. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, this is a fun one.

I know that, when I was a wee bit younger, I might have tried some intellectually questionable things on a motorcycle - but I didn't have one. I relagated to drag-racing and too-fast driving in the grandpa-mobile (1970 Impala, 2 door so it was sporty). I just didn't have the resources for a bike.

If I attempted to keep up with Ed or Dave as they were attacking turns in North Georgia, I would be an idiot - not riding withing my capabilities. I'm certain Ed has better skills and I personally know Dave to have greater skills than I on a bike. Because it would be idiotic for me to do a thing does not automatically make it so for another.

As for the I-5 wheelie-guy - don't be fooled by his lack of gear, he obviously had skills for executing the maneuver. It is not wise but he managed not to harm people or property - he might not be evil incarnate.

I have been known to fracture or operate in selective ignorance of certain traffic laws, but I do so within my risk tolerance. I accept that, once out in the wide open asphalt, that others are not as careful and some are moreso.

The miracle of freedom is having the ability to make all these wonderful choices; the cost of freedom is living with the consequence. I hope that the cost of my decision to ride isn't being t-boned by a cement truck - but it is a risk I take and mitigate. I don't expect cement trucks to be restricted, nor cement truck drivers to be held in contempt. I expect only that people, including myself, be culpable for their actions.

Regards,

Im glad you asked actually. I ve been thinking about it alot. It has made me think about the things that we do WHILE part of a group.

Like would it be ok for a nitroglycerin expert to walk carefully thru the mall with small bottles of nitro regularly, while his buddies circled him yelling praises? I dunno. Maybe no one would ever get hurt. Do I have a choice to be present if I dont know hes going to do it? Nope. That part sucks, as Id really rather not be there.

But I've watched enough Christian Pfeiffer videos to learn some people have more control over their motorcycles than would seem to be humanly possible. Although I have no proof as I've never spoken to Mr. Pfeiffer, I would think his risk assessment skills are extremely sharp, and he actually INCLUDES those around him in his risk assessment, like having spectators around him at a safe distance so if something goes horribly wrong, he doesnt endanger anyone else.

An adult and professional way to perform the amazing things he does.

Are wheelies cool? You betcha they are. A billion downloads of wheelies videos at youtube.com cant be wrong. (sorry about my demographics again, as you can see I make up numbers to suit my purposes all the time lmao.gif)

So I still think they are cool, and those who do them on freeways in traffic are lame. But I sure have enjoyed everyones opinions. I get alot of mileage out of everyones views, as It helps me figure out if Im being an idiot, or wreckless or responsible or whatever. Thanks to all for the help.

wrestleantares

The miracle of freedom is having the ability to make all these wonderful choices; the cost of freedom is living with the consequence. I hope that the cost of my decision to ride isn't being t-boned by a cement truck - but it is a risk I take and mitigate. I don't expect cement trucks to be restricted, nor cement truck drivers to be held in contempt. I expect only that people, including myself, be culpable for their actions.

What about cement trucks doing wheelies on the freeway?

I'd be ok with cement trucks doing wheelies, but if some motorcycles were following it doing wheelies, you can be SURE id be shaking my fist at them as they rode by on 1 wheel laughing exhubertantly at me.

Did you know I read somewhere on the internet that wheeliepoppers are the main cause of global warming?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

wrestleantares
I'd be ok with cement trucks doing wheelies, but if some motorcycles were following it doing wheelies, you can be SURE id be shaking my fist at them as they rode by on 1 wheel laughing exhubertantly at me.

Did you know I read somewhere on the internet that wheeliepoppers are the main cause of global warming?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Well if that's true they get a plus one from this cold natured biker.

2wheelterry

20+ years ago, I recall a guy at a stoplight telling me I was riding like an idiot and that my helmet clipped to the side of my bike should be on my head. In those days if I had a bike that would do 90 MPH wheelies, I am pretty sure I would have been doing them. Maybe not too smart, but oh-boy would that have been fun at that no-fear age.

Maybe a few years down the road, they'll "mature" into one of us. grin.gif

Archived