IGNORED

R1200RT vs K1200GT

iBMUR

I am assuming some of you have previously chimed in on the joy of owning/riding a R1200RT vs the K1200GT. So before I plunk down $20k, I wanted to get your input, biased or otherwise, as to why you like the RT, or the GT for that matter.

I am hoping to demo both models next weekend, which will be the real test for me. After sitting on both bikes this weekend, the RT felt more comfortable to me. Although, the technology of the GT is also very compelling to me. I suspect that I will mostly be a weekend warrior enjoying rides, both short and long. I have read some recent posts where the GT knocks you around pretty good, due to the limited wind protection vs the RT.

I also keep reading posts that the GT's are experiencing some growing pains, with several quirky issues regarding performance. Is the RT going through the same growing pains??

Your input is greatly appreciated

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

My RT is not in the shop all the time,, lmao.gifK Bike have a lot of problems,,I think they are on up date 8 for fuel mapping,

My history; '89 R100RT rode for 4k miles, '97 R11RT, rode for 82K miles, '05 R12RT rode for 24k.

I traded the '05 for a'07 K12GT. I thought I wanted the power and the new engine. After about 3k on the GT I wanted to get back to the R12. My wife said she would ride the GT so I got a '07 R12RT. Seems she really likes the RT now.

The GT has power that I'll never use. It's fun to play with, it's smoothing out and the gas mileage is getting a little bit better (47mgp). It has a little too much forward lean for me and I've got the bar backs on it. I've not had any issues with the bike. Just gas it up and go. Oh, I when thru the rear tire in 5700 miles. I never have liked the B-stone 020's.

The RT is more to my liking. You can feel the engine, the vibes don't bother me. The ergo's are better for me on the RT.

Overall, both are great bikes. I'm going to ride the GT this season and if I don't fall for it, I'll sale it and get another RT.

HTH,

My history; '89 R100RT rode for 4k miles, '97 R11RT, rode for 82K miles, '05 R12RT rode for 24k.

I traded the '05 for a'07 K12GT. I thought I wanted the power and the new engine. After about 3k on the GT I wanted to get back to the R12. My wife said she would ride the GT so I got a '07 R12RT. Seems she really likes the RT now.

The GT has power that I'll never use. It's fun to play with, it's smoothing out and the gas mileage is getting a little bit better (47mgp). It has a little too much forward lean for me and I've got the bar backs on it. I've not had any issues with the bike. Just gas it up and go. Oh, I when thru the rear tire in 5700 miles. I never have liked the B-stone 020's.

The RT is more to my liking. You can feel the engine, the vibes don't bother me. The ergo's are better for me on the RT.

Overall, both are great bikes. I'm going to ride the GT this season and if I don't fall for it, I'll sale it and get another RT.

HTH,

Thanks for the perspective. I am not sure I need/want the extra power. Ergos are, however, important to me; it sounds like the RT would be a solid choice.

K Bike have a lot of problems,,I think they are on up date 8 for fuel mapping,
Hopefully that's been sorted now, but there's a whole new ECU to go with the latest map, and getting a warranty retrofit can be an issue, discussed here.
Dave McReynolds

My BMW history: '98 R1100R, '03 K1200GT and '04 R1150RT (ownerships overlapped), and new '07 K1200GT. Put about 15,000-20,000 miles on each one of them, except for the brand new GT, of course. Why did I pay more to get the '07 GT than I would have had to pay for a new RT?

Well, I actually owned the '04 RT before I bought the '03 GT, which was on closeout and a really good deal. I figured I would ride both for a while, and sell the one I didn't like as well, which ended up being the '04 RT. It just seemed too tame compared with the GT. Learning to ride the GT was a challenge compared with the RT, because it doesn't perform well unless you use good technique. But after having learned good cornering technique, I believe it corners better than the RT, in part because of the more aggressive riding position. Touring long distances leaned over was a challenge, but I came to believe that you weren't any more tired at the end of the day than if you were sitting more upright, just tired in different places. The leaned over posture is easier on your spine, I think, than a more upright position. It's definitely harder on your hands and arms, and you have to remember to get your weight off the bars when you enter a turn. You're not supposed to tour with your weight on your arms either, but I never could get the knack of supporting myself for long distances with my back and stomach muscles. I also got pretty good at no-hands riding when the roads were straight and traffic was light. I guess if all I wanted to do was tour, I would have stayed with the RT.

But blipping the throttle and zipping around cars in a fraction of the time I could in the RT is addictive, and is what tipped the balance for me.

And when they addressed all my major concerns, including adjustable handlebars so I can have, for me, a perfect lean position in between that of an RT and the old GT, made it zippier, lighter, sexier, and even easier to corner, I did what I would have sworn I wouldn't do a year ago and traded the old GT for a new one.

My BMW history: '98 R1100R, '03 K1200GT and '04 R1150RT (ownerships overlapped), and new '07 K1200GT. Put about 15,000-20,000 miles on each one of them, except for the brand new GT, of course. Why did I pay more to get the '07 GT than I would have had to pay for a new RT?

Well, I actually owned the '04 RT before I bought the '03 GT, which was on closeout and a really good deal. I figured I would ride both for a while, and sell the one I didn't like as well, which ended up being the '04 RT. It just seemed too tame compared with the GT. Learning to ride the GT was a challenge compared with the RT, because it doesn't perform well unless you use good technique. But after having learned good cornering technique, I believe it corners better than the RT, in part because of the more aggressive riding position. Touring long distances leaned over was a challenge, but I came to believe that you weren't any more tired at the end of the day than if you were sitting more upright, just tired in different places. The leaned over posture is easier on your spine, I think, than a more upright position. It's definitely harder on your hands and arms, and you have to remember to get your weight off the bars when you enter a turn. You're not supposed to tour with your weight on your arms either, but I never could get the knack of supporting myself for long distances with my back and stomach muscles. I also got pretty good at no-hands riding when the roads were straight and traffic was light. I guess if all I wanted to do was tour, I would have stayed with the RT.

But blipping the throttle and zipping around cars in a fraction of the time I could in the RT is addictive, and is what tipped the balance for me.

And when they addressed all my major concerns, including adjustable handlebars so I can have, for me, a perfect lean position in between that of an RT and the old GT, made it zippier, lighter, sexier, and even easier to corner, I did what I would have sworn I wouldn't do a year ago and traded the old GT for a new one.

Well said. It's good to get a balanced point of view and it makes a good case for the GT, as well.

Lets_Play_Two

In December I went from an '03 RT to the '07 GT. I test rode both the RT and the GT. I did not find the seating position all that different between the two rides. Since I bought the GT I have not had any sense that I get battered around more by the wind than on the RT, but I certainly don't miss the vibrations of the old RT. I have about 4500 miles on the GT and have had none of the alleged GT problems. Time will tell I guess? On the test rides I decided I liked the extra power more than losing the surge and my girlfriend who is 5" 11" said she liked the back of the GT better than the RT (since then she bought her own bike but we still do some rides together). As Dave said, being able to twist the throttle and quickly get around or past traffic is very nice...the RT doe not come close to this. grin.gif

BiggerTwin

I have previously owned a K1100LT, R1100RT, K1200RS and now have an R1200RT. I simply prefer the feel of a twin cylinder motor to that of a four banger. Both are excellent motorcycles and as you said, the demo rides will be the real test for you. Good luck.

Alan

If you happen to be at Americade this year and in the BMW line EARLY in the morning, you can probably ride both bikes, back to back if you are lucky, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday! grin.gif

If you are there, you will probably see me as well. grin.gifgrin.gif

Try to take an extended test ride on both. The GT's motor is so awesome that its easy to get completely taken in by this bike. The handling is outstanding and it has pretty good wind protection - not as good as the RT - but still pretty decent. The GT's big negatives are: BMW is still playing with the engine management software and still doesn't have it sorted out completely (you may get a good bike and have no problems but if you get a bad one you are screwed), the transmission is the clunkiest thing you have ever ridden - it works just fine but is noisy and unpleasant to use, the intermittent high RPM idle problem is still around, the bike has an annoying on/off throttle jerkiness that is a real hassle in traffic, and there have been quite a few blown rear ends already reported.

All in all, in my opinion, the GT still a beta test bike - whereas the RT is pretty much all sorted out and works great.

BUT, that said, the GT motor is simply awesome.

I ride a 1200 RT 2006. This is a very nice ride especially for 2 up riding. Good power and very comfortable for both of us. Its not the most powerfull but is powerfull enough.

I rode a GT last week. BMW demo bike all to myself for 2 hours. What a machine ! This thing is MUCH more powerfull than my RT. That engine is fabulous (from 5000 rpm on it sounds and feels like a sport bike)but comfort is not as good. More wind on arms, legs bent too much, more heat, seat not really good, gearing too short in 6th gear, windscreen to low etc. Bike needs a bit of work.

So it boils down to the GT for SPORT touring and RT for sport TOURING. Your choice.

PS I was about to trade in the RT but after that ride I decided to keep it a few years.

Although, the technology of the GT is also very compelling to me.
There will likely be a cost for all that new technology though, and I don't mean just the purchase price.

I have an R1200RT, after 2x R1150RTs. It's a great bike. Comfortable, fast (enough!), handles well.

I had also considered a K1200GT as an alternative, prior to me purchasing the RT.

A couple of months ago, I had a K1200GT for a day, while the RT was being serviced. AWESOME BIKE!..............but............not as comfortable as the RT, VERY fast, handled well. I suspect that once the novelty of the performance has worn off, I'd be left with a bike that was very quick, but overall not as good a 'package' as the RT.

As a fast, 'hooning' bike, the GT is waaaaay quicker than the RT. But as an all-round, user-friendly bike, the RT is the better choice for me. It ain't no slouch, and it's a much better bike to live with than the GT.

Ideally, I'd have both! smile.gif

Well I wrote a long answer, and hit something wrong and it disappeared. I'm still pretty new to this forum. Going to keep it short and sweet now. Others have told you the K bike has more motor, more forward riding position, less wind protection. R Bike has more wind protection, more upright ride, and less motor.

I rented R bike for a day, got test drive on K bike for ten miles... less than ten minutes ooo.gif. Felt great after 300 miles of mtn. twisties on R bike. Felt hand sore, hand fatigue, shoulder and neck stress after ten minutes on K bike. Both bikes are great fun to ride, but I'm middle aged, overweight, and have an old neck injury. Many people can ride the K comfortably, but K bike is not for me.

I think the summary is they are both great sport tourers: K more sport, R more tour. If you are comfortable on K and want the sport, then go for it. My Sand Beige Metallic RT is due to be delivered tommorrow, and it is right for me.

RichEdwards

I'm with Dave on this one. My GT blows away my '03 RT. Yes, the weather protection is not as good. And the GT is not as easy to service at home. But the power is awesome.

Long distance? I ran the GT 600+ miles home on I-75 to FL from El Paseo and it was just as comfortable as my old RT. And zooming around three 18-wheelers in about 3 seconds is something no RT could ever do. 70 mph to 100 mph in an eye-blink. thumbsup.gif

The twisties? Well, my GS is far better on those than either the RT or the GT. grin.gif

And for some of the concerns expressed here:

1) Transmission - the smoothest BMW transmission I have ever experienced.

2) Engine - mine is fabulously smooth from 1000 rmp to 9000 rpm. I have the latest software version and that may be the reason why.

Some of the comments about comfort crack me up.

So much depends on the rider, riding experience (type of bike and seating MYRP, etc) and your size.

The RT is too dang SMALL

I don't have enough room, sit on the tank, hit my knees, the weight it puts on my tail bone is uncomfortable and unhealthy.

The power is anemic, the fairing is too big, for 8-9 months a year you roast behind it due to lack of air flow.

The GT has a better sitting position, but still too upright.

The power is fabulous.

The airflow much better.

Now, for most people.... smirk.gif

both bikes are excellent choices with great amenities and fun to ride.

Enjoy your new bike, whichever you choose.

I finally test rode the RT and the GT today. While they both have their distinct features and both are fun to ride, I was more smitten by the RT. I will be using the bike primarily on weekends to tour, as well as, just loping around town. I just need to buy the RT... soon. cool.gif

Yeah, the RT and GT are very different animals. Had you preferred the GT I'd have suggested trying some of the other SPORTtouring bikes such as the ST1300, FJR, or hanging on for the new Connie... Have fun shopping for your RT - yer gonna LOVE it! thumbsup.gif

I think the RT will do me right. Your pic of Lance Armstrong is sweet! It will be years before people look back and realize what an amazing athlete Lance was in his prime. But what really made him special was his mental toughness and determination. He is one of a kind.

Velomoto said: Yeah, the RT and GT are very different animals. Had you preferred the GT I'd have suggested trying some of the other SPORTtouring bikes such as the ST1300, FJR, or hanging on for the new Connie... Have fun shopping for your RT - yer gonna LOVE it! thumbsup.gif

You mean my RT isn't a SPORTtouring bike? confused.gifbncry.gif

Well, you could take that $20k and buy a low milage R1150RT AND a Yamaha FJR and have the best of both worlds.

Cheers clap.gif

Steve

Well, you could take that $20k and buy a low milage R1150RT AND a Yamaha FJR and have the best of both worlds.

I am having a difficult time, as it is, convincing my wife that cycling is not as dangerous as she leads me and my 2 girls to believe. Even when I am surfig on one of the BMW sites, she tells me to be very careful. Two bikes might put her over the edge.eek.gif

You mean my RT isn't a SPORTtouring bike? confused.gifbncry.gif
Sorry Sam, I just think the position makes the RT more of sportTOURING. Not that there isn't plenty of sport in the RT, but the comfort & ergo's just seem to say more TOURING than sport... Which is exactly why I got one! thumbsup.gifwave.gif
the position makes the RT more of sportTOURING. Not that there isn't plenty of sport in the RT, but the comfort & ergo's just seem to say more TOURING than sport... Which is exactly why I got one! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

I'm happy. Yea! I like that perspective much better. Thanks. clap.gif

Archived