IGNORED

Took the Plunge!

Old_Corps

So, after many months of thinking about breaking into the world of BMW cycles, I finally took the plunge. Up until this past week my sole ride was a '06 Harley Softail Deuce (quit your snickerin'). I was looking for a BMW bike that would be used primarily for around town use with an occasional longer weekend trip. My first attraction was the R1200R. I thought that with added panniers it would fit the bill. I finally got around to a test drive a couple of weeks ago but discovered that at 6'4" tall the seating and overall fitment was not quite right. Okay, after my initial letdown I returned to the dealership a week later for a subsequent test ride on the 1200 RT. I was sold. The bags can come off around town and now the prospects of taking longer rides in comfort loom on my radar screen.

First reactions after five days of ownership: un-(insert favorite expletive)-believable! Outstanding performance, comfort and features in one great package. The color is Titan Silver Metallic and I equipped her with ESA, cruise and heated surfaces. I’m twitching to get beyond the break-in period and get a truer picture of her performance characteristics.

So, you're wondering about the Harley, eh? She stays. I want the best of both worlds. Now at age 57, I can ride my Harley and enjoy what I consider the equivalent of a '57 Buick - chrome, class, Pax Americana. And now I also have my share of Teutonic BMW engineering, technology, and performance. It just doesn't get any better than this!

I've tried to post a picture but get scolded for exceeding the maximum file size. Any tips?

By the way, I've viewed and placed a few posts on this site for a number of months and have always enjoyed my visits. Terrific info, great contributors and wonderful spirit.

lawnchairboy

hi, welcome...

if you are ever out at the havelock/morehead city end of 70, shoot me some mail...

chris

Wow, seems like a lot of North Carolinians buying/owning BMW's these days. I go to test ride one on Tuesday and will probably end up with it. Hope to see you out on the road sometime thumbsup.gif

Glad to have you aboard.

Now for the images.

Try to post them to Photobucket or some server.

Copy the link from there and click on the image button below your posts or replys to this website.

Click paste and the image will appear here.

Like my trailer...

Now lets see some of your new bike.

Picture022.jpg

Howdy Old Corps. I too was impressed with the 12RT and will be an owner within the next few weeks or so. I will be keeping my K12R to satisfy my thirst for speed and general around town riding. Hope you enjoy your new RT.

Welcome Old Corps

I lived in Wake Co. for 7 yrs. Darn nice place to live. Congratulations on the RT. It is one fine machine. Just wait till you get some miles on it. It is fantastic in the mountains in 3rd or 4th gear with the rpm's at 5K-6K. It will pull like a son of a gun. You will love it for touring. 400-500 mile days are not a problem. Chances are the seat will not work for you. It is pretty uncomfortable for most of us. There are several places you can go to get a comfortable seat. I wish I could see the smile on your face when you get it in the twisties. You are going to love it. Have fun.

KB

I just traded my k1200lt in on one,Sounds like the same bike i got,,LOVE IT,,Check out Russel all day seat,They look funny but your butt will love it..Torrey ride is next weekend..That well brake it in,and you can met a lot of nice people,and some <HOONS>,Injoy,PS dont for get to ride the HD at least once a year, lmao.gif

Les is more

The bags can come off around town and now the prospects of taking longer rides in comfort loom on my radar screen.

Speaking of radar...time for a Valentine One smile.gif Trust me, it will pay for itself many times over. crazy.gif

Welcome and don't forget to check Ride Planning. For instance, our big annual get together is not too far away from you. Especially as you learn how comfy that bike is.

lawnchairboy

Speaking of radar...time for a Valentine One Trust me, it will pay for itself many times over.

gospel truth my brothers and sisters.

Excellent......welcome aboard. I was at the dealership on Friday checking out a new 1200 RT/GS (haven't decided yet)........I refuse to ride one yet. I promised myself (and my Girlfriend) that I would get my current R1100RT to 100k miles before I started shopping for a new bike.........of course at the rate I'm going its only going to be another 1-2 years...... grin.gif.

Bheckel169

Look at those virgin pipes! Congrats! I'm moving to the Asheville area in a month. I'll PM you and let's see how we can connect.

Bruce

<So, you're wondering about the Harley, eh? She stays. I want the best of both worlds. Now at age 57, I can ride my Harley and enjoy what I consider the equivalent of a '57 Buick - chrome, class, Pax Americana.>

I'll give you about 6 weeks and the Harley will be in Cycle Trader. I said the same thing you did--but after looking at the beautiful blue E-Glide Classic sitting there collecting dust, I put her out of her misery. Now I'm doing the same thing with wifes Dyna Super Glide--she won't ride it any more! Maybe I'll take part of the proceeds and check out a GS smile.gif

Good job on posting the links Old_Corps, next step to insert them into a posting here is to click the word "Image" in the "Instant UBB Code" area below the text box. Paste the link into the little window that opens and Voila!

100_3384.jpg

Your pic shows up! smile.gif

WyreNut

I love your new bike. Not as much as you tho. Try to bear in mind that it can take as many as 20k miles to get these boxer engines properly worn in. With miles, they just keep getting better and smoother.

Welcome to the mad house! Ride safe.

Very nice looking bike. Congratulations...!! To be honest, I really didn't like the new 1200RT's when they first came out. However, they've really grown on me and I'd love to have one. At 38,000 miles, my 1150RT is still young. Maybe next year. Sigh....

tom collins

OK, where are the Harley pics?

Nice RT though.

Greetings from a fellow HD/BMW guy, there are a few of us here and some still in the closet.

Tom Collins

04 RT

06 FXDWGLI

Great looking bike. Welcome to the board, the next

step is making one of those pictures into your

avatar. Enjoy the ride thumbsup.gif

If you like it now, you'll love it once the engine is broken in and you can use the powerband. This is my 2nd hexhead, the GS was sweet, the RT is sweet with sprinkles added!

Archived