IGNORED

R1200RT Gearbox oil leak

vincentbob

vincentbob

I noticed a few weeks back whilst cleaning the bike that the underside of the gearbox was wet with oil. Not knowing how much of a leak it was I cleaned it off and rechecked today, about five hundred miles later.

Again the underside is covered in oil, there seems to be a few drips forming, but I haven't found any on the garage floor. The oil is starting from the engine to gearbox joint and is being blown to the back as I ride. I have smelt the oil and it is definately gearbox oil.

My question is, having heard of other people having this problem, how bad does it have to be to get fixed under warranty? The bike is 2 years old (the warranty runs out) in Novemeber this year, and it has done 10,000 miles.

If I am riding quickly I can get the clutch slipping for a few seconds when changing up from 4th to 5th, and from 5th to 6th, but it won't slip if you just crack open the throttle at any time, nor does it judder on take up.

Anyones experiences of this would be greatly appreciated. many thanks.

ShovelStrokeEd

Take it in to the dealer, post haste. It is not going to get any better. Probably the seal on the input shaft, a not uncommon failure. They might try to argue that the clutch is a wear item and not covered, in which case, seize a large spanner and hit the service writer smartly just behind the right ear then ask him to repeat.

Does it look kind of like this?....

R1200LeakySeal002.jpg

My 1200RT and my friends with about 10M miles on each had to have leaky trans seals and clutch plate replaced...Warranty item....Looks pretty common and heard GS's have a problem too..........

If you have an R12 keep an eye on the trans area....

Phil...........Redbrick

vincentbob

Hi Redbrick, mine looks a lot worse than that. I will check the gearbox oil level next weekend and see how much the level has dropped, I have spoken to the dealer I use for servicing and they have told me to let them know what I find. They tell me that it is a £500 ($1000) job so make sure I get it done before the warranty expres.

They didn't conceed that it was a known problem with these seals though, and therefore did not mention if there are revised parts to stop it happening again. I had planned on keeping the bike beyond its warranty, but I don't fancy picking up a bill for that much another year or so down the line.

Hi Redbrick, mine looks a lot worse than that. I will check the gearbox oil level next weekend and see how much the level has dropped, I have spoken to the dealer I use for servicing and they have told me to let them know what I find. They tell me that it is a £500 ($1000) job so make sure I get it done before the warranty expres.

They didn't concede that it was a known problem with these seals though, and therefore did not mention if there are revised parts to stop it happening again. I had planned on keeping the bike beyond its warranty, but I don't fancy picking up a bill for that much another year or so down the line.

It is a "known problem".....Many posts here regarding it....Our local dealer admits to many replacements of this seal and said they had more GS's than RT's......Service rep took one look at mine and asked when I could let him have it.....

If your's is really bad I'm wondering why the dealer didn't just say to make an appointment and let them fix it on warranty?.....The oil is coming from somewhere and with a bike with only 10M miles on it there obviously is a problem... confused.gif

Phil..........Redbrick

Jim VonBaden
Anyone know an approximate date when the factory started to install upgraded seals in hexhead engines?

According to Morton's BMW, who have done dozens of these seals, around the time the modified center/shidestand on thew 12GS came out, the seal leak issues nearly completely stopped with those bikes.

My dealer isn't sure if it was an issue with poor seals, or poor installation of seals, but has had none come back after the new seals were installed.

Jim cool.gif

• 1 month later...

R1200LeakySeal002.jpg

My 1200RT and my friends with about 10M miles on each had to have leaky trans seals and clutch plate replaced...Warranty item....Looks pretty common and heard GS's have a problem too..........

Phil...........Redbrick

I look under my bike today after washing it and it looked just like the picture above. I own a 07 RT with 9,700 miles on it. I guess BMW hasn't fixed the problem yet confused.gif The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping yet, will they replace it anyway?

Jim VonBaden

Phil...........Redbrick

I look under my bike today after washing it and it looked just like the picture above. I own a 07 RT with 9,700 miles on it. I guess BMW hasn't fixed the problem yet confused.gif The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping yet, will they replace it anyway?

It does happen occasionally on the late 06 and 07 bikes. They wont replace the clutch disc unless there is contamination on it.

Jim cool.gif

As Ed said take it to the dealer right away. I noticed mine leaking in Jan. 06 at 18K miles. Looked at it again in April with 20K miles on it and it was noticeably wetter. I took the bike in to be inspected and they replaced the seals and the entire clutch because the plates were contaminated.

My 05 RT is in surgery as we speak, under warrenty thankfully, at 11,700 miles. Getting new clutch and have been authorized a new pressure plate as well due to hot spots in the plate according to my surgeon.

Fran

My 05 RT is in surgery as we speak, under warrenty thankfully, at 11,700 miles. Getting new clutch and have been authorized a new pressure plate as well due to hot spots in the plate according to my surgeon.

Fran

What a pain. I hope it's a rare occurrence. dopeslap.gif

Jim VonBaden

Fran

What a pain. I hope it's a rare occurrence. dopeslap.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

NOT

Jim cool.gif

I've got an appointment at Severs BMW for July 6th to get it looked at. I hope they don't give me a bad time about fixing it.

It looks like I might have this leak as well, but I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. If this is a seal problem, that would tell me that gearbox oil is leaking out of the transmission, hence the oil under the bike. How does this lead to clutch plate contamination and problems with the pressure plate?

Jim

Jim VonBaden
It looks like I might have this leak as well, but I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. If this is a seal problem, that would tell me that gearbox oil is leaking out of the transmission, hence the oil under the bike. How does this lead to clutch plate contamination and problems with the pressure plate?

Jim

If the front seal is leaking it simply follows the input shaft forward to the clutch, or runs down the bellhousing and never touches the clutch. It normally will drip straight down, but it can also get on the disc.

If it is the rear seal, my understanding is that it contaminates the clutch slave cylinder causing it to begin leaking, and that get's the clutch.

Mine, and my GF's had to have both seals replaced, and the clutch slave cylinder. Mine also needed a clutch disc.

Check out this site: http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/oil-leak.html

24K-7.jpg

24K-6.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Archived