IGNORED

'98 RT noise?

kiwiaudio

'98 R1100Rt 69000K & well cared for !

Ok, I've had this bike for a week now, and have ironed out most of the strange noises, which admittedly I have always been overly sensitive to ! (bumps, bangs, creaks and groans - this is my first experience with a tupperware laden bike - crazy stuff) but the noise I am most concerned about is what sounds like ignition pinging on moderate to hard accelleration. It has the techlusion box, but i have not played with it yet. I rarely let the revs get to 4 grand as this bothers me !

Is Ignition timing adjustable, or is it ever an issue ?

How do I check it?

Valve clearance is spot on and recent synchronisation has cleared up a lot of vibration and driveability.

I'm tossing up between pinging and gearbox whine actually, after having read all about this Getrag gearbox! My box seems to shift ok, -at least in comparison to all the problematic issues & complaints ! -and this from an old dirt bike maniac !!

Love to hear what you guys have to say about this. Please don't say this is normal confused.gif

Kiwi.

silverhornet

Has the bike had the upgraded cam chain tensioner on the left side ?

Easy to spot as the old one has a 17 mm head, and the new upgrade has 15mm.

Makes the engine really smooth and quiet............ (for a boxer)

I would be willing to say that the #1 problem is that you are riding the bike under 4 grand. My bike does the exact same thing........say 4th gear, 70mph, if I get on the throttle hard it pops, cracks, and carries on like hell. I was SO freaked out by it that I stopped riding the bike until I figured out what the problem was. I believe the advise I recieved from a nice gentleman on this forum was......and I quote "stop riding it like a pussy"

Its not a Harley, and isn't designed to run at low RPM. Now I use premium gas (which helps a bit).....but most importantly, I NEVER try to accelerate in a higher gear with the RPM under 4K. It blows me away how well these bikes run when you keep the RPMs up. I owned nothing but 4 cylinder Japanese bikes before I bought my R1100RT, and I DEFINITLY needed to adjust my riding style to fit the bike. It took awhile for me to get used it, but after two years of owning the bike.....I love it.

Hope that helps

Interesting ? I'll have to check that. I've not heard of this tensioner mod. but when I was in there last week adjusting the valves, I did think there was way too much slack in the left side chain, but i could not hear a problem revving it on the center stand. Is this what the modified tensioner is about? Where do I get one?

Kiwi.

"Stop riding it like a pussy" LOVE IT !!!!

Actually, you may not be far from the truth!

Most every bike I've ever ridden or owned was a screamer, apart from an old Yamaha TT500, and this RT just does not seem like it belongs in that category.

I'll try getting on it, but if she blows, I'm mailing all the busted parts to you ! lmao.gif

"Stop riding it like a pussy" LOVE IT !!!!

Actually, you may not be far from the truth!

Most every bike I've ever ridden or owned was a screamer, apart from an old Yamaha TT500, and this RT just does not seem like it belongs in that category.

I'll try getting on it, but if she blows, I'm mailing all the busted parts to you ! lmao.gif

lmao.gif hmmmm......deal......I think eek.gif

Seriously though....I was in the same boat. My last 2 bikes were a

'93 Suzuki Katana 750

'97 Suzuki GSXR1100

Both bikes had so much power everywhere that it didn't matter what gear you were in. The RT is a completely different animal. You definitly can't lug the motor. I commute on the highway everyday at 70-80 mph and still barely ever use 5th gear. The highway I drive has a fair number of ups and downs. 5th gear would be fine on the flat or down hill, but going up hill at 70-75 mph........if I would twist the throttle enough to pass a car it would ping and pop to beat the band. Now I get down into 3rd or 4th to get the RPMs up before I whack the throttle. I've been happy ever since.

The real treat is if/when you master riding with the RPMs up, go back to an inline 4 sport bike sometime. It will scare the hell out of you when you realize how well they perform when you ride them the same way. In fact, that realization has me quitely searching for an old crotch rocket that could be used exlusivly for track duty.

Their website says that they cannot supply to the USA. Anyone know where these tensioners are available ?

You know the funny thing about that tensioner issue. BMW had the exact same problem with the M50 motors that were installed the 325i and 525i cars of the '90s. They had to come out with an "upgraded" tensioner. The "problem" with them was that every once in awhile you would hear a slight rattle from the motor when sitting at idle. It didn't cause any damage, its just that people didn't like the occational rattle from from the motor. All that after people complaining about the maintaince of having to replace the completely silent timing belt on the previous M20 motors. LOL.....guess they can never win.

I agree with OoPEZoO that you can not lug these motors and expect them to pull cleanly without pinging and carring on if you try to accelerate below 4000 RPM in higher (4-6th)gears. These motors DO like to rev which also helps keep them cleaner of carbon build up. I also have had large 4 cyclinder bikes for many years and it took me a while to get used to the RT and managing the revs. It is also a noiser engine/trans and vibrates more than my other bikes but it doesn't mind (nor do I any more) and once you get used to it and run it like it was designed it's a fantastic sporty touring bike! Good Luck!

OK guys, I tried it to 6 grand with full gas and you are right - she was flying, but sounded bent on destruction too! It is going to take me a while to get used to that, if that is how it is supposed to be, but I've been a mechanic all my life, and something sure sounds amiss to me - all that mechanical noise just cannot be right !!

I'll be dispersing all my speeding tickets amongst all you 4000 rpm dudes grin.gif

By the way, how am I going to enjoy all that surging if I'm going to be 4 granding all day ?

OK guys, I tried it to 6 grand with full gas and you are right - she was flying, but sounded bent on destruction too! It is going to take me a while to get used to that, if that is how it is supposed to be, but I've been a mechanic all my life, and something sure sounds amiss to me - all that mechanical noise just cannot be right !!

I'll be dispersing all my speeding tickets amongst all you 4000 rpm dudes grin.gif

By the way, how am I going to enjoy all that surging if I'm going to be 4 granding all day ?

No one ever said that the boxer motors were an engineering marvel when it came it smoothness and quietness....LOL.

I thought mine sounded like someone was shaking a bucket of bolts under my fairing when I first started riding it. Now I just turn the music up a little louder. And yes, speeding tickets very well could be in your near future. I find myself comfortably riding down backroads on my way home from work when I look down and realize I'm doing a good 85mph. I also find myself tapping my handlebar impatiently when I get stuck behind someone poking along.......then I realize they are doing 60mph or so and are already exceeding the speed limit. Thats when it its time to just back off and enjoy the ride. You can still ride the oilheads with the RPMs down, just don't crack the throttle wide open and expect to go anywhere.....unless you get those RPMS up first.....then hang on.

Just to be sure......the pinging and popping DID go away once you got the RPMs up right? All joking aside, I don't want to feel responsible if there is something actually wrong with your motor.

No one ever said that the boxer motors were an engineering marvel when it came it smoothness and quietness....LOL.

I thought mine sounded like someone was shaking a bucket of bolts under my fairing when I first started riding it. Now I just turn the music up a little louder. And yes, speeding tickets very well could be in your near future. I find myself comfortably riding down backroads on my way home from work when I look down and realize I'm doing a good 85mph. I also find myself tapping my handlebar impatiently when I get stuck behind someone poking along.......then I realize they are doing 60mph or so and are already exceeding the speed limit. Thats when it its time to just back off and enjoy the ride. You can still ride the oilheads with the RPMs down, just don't crack the throttle wide open and expect to go anywhere.....unless you get those RPMS up first.....then hang on.

Just to be sure......the pinging and popping DID go away once you got the RPMs up right? All joking aside, I don't want to feel responsible if there is something actually wrong with your motor.

Too late you own his motor now ! grin.gif

silverhornet

Now you are making me curious. What noises are being heard that made these guys swap out their tensioners. I don't think anything sounds strange or rattle like on my bike, but then again......I don't think a lot of people hear things until they are told about them... lmao.gif

I thought mine sounded like someone was shaking a bucket of bolts under my fairing when I first started riding it. Now I just turn the music up a little louder. lmao.gif

Archived