How do I clean out a corroded accessory socket?

AlanBrown

I recently used one of the two external accessory sockets to re-charge a rather flat battery, and noticed as I was about to plug the charger in that there was a fair amount of green corrosion-type deposit deep inside the socket. Given that it's a pretty small opening, and I don't want to risk the component failing on me, how do I go about cleaning it? Or is it toast?

I recently used one of the two external accessory sockets to re-charge a rather flat battery, and noticed as I was about to plug the charger in that there was a fair amount of green corrosion-type deposit deep inside the socket. Given that it's a pretty small opening, and I don't want to risk the component failing on me, how do I go about cleaning it? Or is it toast?

Alan, that greenish corrosion is called verdigris.. There are any number of commercial products that will remove it but most have some side issues..

Over the years I have had some luck using vinegar & Q-tips,, Lemmon or Lime Juice will sometimes work (adding salt to the mixture sometimes helps but I don’t recommend using that inside a power connector).. When it (the verdigris) is removed to your liking follow up with a mild solution of baking soda to neutralize the acidic cleaning product you used..

DO NOT use anything abrasive or anything that contains steel/iron (like steel wool) or you will have all kinds of future problems..

Also, try not to scratch the brass contacts inside that connector or your problem will return faster & in spades..

Twisty

Archived