IGNORED

Top box painting

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

I have an 06RT with BMW 49L top box and am looking to source a paint shop that can paint the box piedmont red. Any suggestions?

Not hard to do yourself. I e-mailed you pictures of the results. It cost me $50 U.S. for the materials. Use the $200 for Beer. grin.gif

I have an 06RT with BMW 49L top box and am looking to source a paint shop that can paint the box piedmont red. Any suggestions?

Bob

The paint code you require is 912.

Ian thumbsup.gif

You don't have to remove the liner, and you can't anyway.

And forget about getting paint # 912...been there, yada,yada. I even went to BMW Canada to try and source the original paint. It is one of the only colors BMW doesn't provide in quantities greater than the rattle can touch up size. Something about the color only being availabe for a short period of time.

I also hit up a couple of BMW automotive parts dept's but no luck there...

Finally had it 'scanned' at a well known paint repair facility and they hit it smack on. The paint tech said it lined up with an older BMW car color perfectly. And after seeing the results I have to agree. It is perfect.

I simply removed the backrest, the BMW roundel, and seperated the top from the bottom, ( 4 hinge screws from inside...) and gave them the top. No problem.

Cost: $150.00 plus 20.00 tip. Happy,happy,happy.

Jim W.

John Diakonis

Thanks VonDawg for the compliment. Piedmont Red IS available in any quantity you need in a urethane system ( basecoat/ clearcoat) and not only in spray cans. When I paint BMWs I only use Glasutrit.

You don't have to remove the liner, and you can't anyway.

And forget about getting paint # 912...been there, yada,yada. I even went to BMW Canada to try and source the original paint. It is one of the only colors BMW doesn't provide in quantities greater than the rattle can touch up size. Something about the color only being availabe for a short period of time.

I also hit up a couple of BMW automotive parts dept's but no luck there...

Finally had it 'scanned' at a well known paint repair facility and they hit it smack on. The paint tech said it lined up with an older BMW car color perfectly. And after seeing the results I have to agree. It is perfect.

I simply removed the backrest, the BMW roundel, and seperated the top from the bottom, ( 4 hinge screws from inside...) and gave them the top. No problem.

Cost: $150.00 plus 20.00 tip. Happy,happy,happy.

Jim W.

www.colorrite.com sells piedmount red BMW # 912 in Large rattle cans or Qts. One large can of #912 and a large can of clear coat will do 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear on the 49L. lid. Came out great, perfect match. Prep sol. and a tack rag as well as 600 wet sand paper came from a local auto store. I am a machinist by trade and not a painter. $50 and an afternoon . " So easy a caveman could do it." lmao.gif see attachment.

859633-0501071649.jpg.2a97cc64417fa81c71da8f13879b5c2a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
bootylicious

Bob's BMW-- the guys there did a pretty job on my custom top box that also matched my pair of BMW leather boots.

Annabelle

BMW Leather Boots - Get the BMW Riders Apparel Catalog by BMW Motorrad

RichEdwards

I had my large topbox for the K1200GT painted by a local paint shop that was recommended by my dealer. Fantastic job. $194. thumbsup.gif

Archived