IGNORED

Has anyone here "Hotrodded" an 1100 or 1150?

Willie

After reading the thread about the dual spark conversion and seeing that that would be a good starting point before you would build up a motor for maximum performance, I was wondering of anyone here has ever built up an 1100 or 1150 to wring out it's maximum potential. I really have no plans on doing anything to mine, but am curious as to how many people have done this. Living in the land of HD, almost every bike I see around here has something done to it the owners are always ready to tell you how fast it is. BTW, it's amazing how nicely my stock "quiet" RT can smoke the HD's that I ride with, even with their aftermarket goodies thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The 1100S seems to get a bit more hot rod attention than the other BMW's.

Guys have gone with cylinder head porting, higher compression pistons, different cam grinds, and all the usual stuff, pipes, improved intake flow and, of course, custom chips for the Motronic.

San Jose BMW would be the place for almost all of this stuff. They have even gone so far as to supercharge an 1100S. RB Racing has a turbo kit available for R bikes and they had quite a bit of success with it. Bob Baine is the owner and he really did all the development and fabrication on the Luftmeister turbo 1100RS that made quite a splash in the magazines back in the mid 90's.

Wunderich do a range of tuning goodies for the R1150RT which they claim to get you an extra 14hp - quite a good boost over the standard 95. The cost/performance ratio though is quite high. here is the overview of the changes.

This is the main catalogue for the R1100/1150/850 R and RT

Tuning starts on page 271 - there are some neat wave disc on page 269.

The US distributor is BMW of Santa Cruz.

Enjoy tweaking your bike thumbsup.gif

Andy

BTW, it's amazing how nicely my stock "quiet" RT can smoke the HD's that I ride with, even with their aftermarket goodies
And it's amazing how any stock quiet 600cc sportbike will smoke an oilhead, even with any amount of aftermarket goodies. grin.gif
BTW, it's amazing how nicely my stock "quiet" RT can smoke the HD's that I ride with, even with their aftermarket goodies
And it's amazing how any stock quiet 600cc sportbike will smoke an oilhead, even with any amount of aftermarket goodies. grin.gif

No kidding. It's a little dangerous to get cocky, here, when most 600c bikes would get to 100 mph in second gear, easy. smile.gif

And it's amazing how any stock quiet 600cc sportbike will smoke an oilhead, even with any amount of aftermarket goodies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding. It's a little dangerous to get cocky, here, when most 600c bikes would get to 100 mph in second gear, easy.

That is why, when riding in the land of R1s, I am reminded that I have a sporty touring bike and not touring sport bike.

Regards,

So...I gather you believe his was an unfair comparison (comparing Apples to Apples?) i.e. Big heavy twin vs Big heavy twin wink.gif

lurker.giflurker.gif

Naw, I was just hinting that if you want a performance bike, buy a performance bike. Even if you want to retain sport touring capabilities there are a number of bikes that will do this well and a switch to one of them will probably end up costing less and performing better than even a heavily-modified RT. The RT has many strong points but power just isn't one of them, and there really aren't any cost-effective ways of making it run with the likes of an FJR1300 or even the older GT K-bikes, not to mention a real sportbike. If that's what you want then you need another bike.

russell_bynum

No kidding. It's a little dangerous to get cocky, here, when most 600c bikes would get to 100 mph in second gear, easy. smile.gif

Bah. Most 600cc sportbikes will power wheelie though 100mph in 2nd gear.

Hmm... but I'll bet I can still get from San Diego to Maine quicker on an RT than a guy on a sport bike, or at least, be able to stand up when I'm done. clap.gifgrin.gifclap.gif

harleyjohn45
So...I gather you believe his was an unfair comparison (comparing Apples to Apples?) i.e. Big heavy twin vs Big heavy twin wink.gif

lurker.giflurker.gif

you could say so, i believe the v rod is 1100 cc and it might keep up with an rt. a buell might keep up with a bmw, but we all know a fl series makes 80 hp and weighs 850 lbs. that seems to be where all the comparisons are made. as long as we are on the same page.

Naw, I was just hinting that if you want a performance bike, buy a performance bike. Even if you want to retain sport touring capabilities there are a number of bikes that will do this well and a switch to one of them will probably end up costing less and performing better than even a heavily-modified RT. The RT has many strong points but power just isn't one of them, and there really aren't any cost-effective ways of making it run with the likes of an FJR1300 or even the older GT K-bikes, not to mention a real sportbike. If that's what you want then you need another bike.

I didn't get the impression that the original poster was really interested in hotrodding his RT. It sounded to me like he was just asking what people do to them, in light of all the hotrodded Harleys he sees. At the risk of overly generalizing (alway a risky endeavor), Harley riders like to tinker with engines whether it is polishing and porting or chroming. RT riders generally seem more interested in additions aimed at comfort, usability or ticket avoidance.

russell_bynum
Hmm... but I'll bet I can still get from San Diego to Maine quicker on an RT than a guy on a sport bike, or at least, be able to stand up when I'm done. clap.gifgrin.gifclap.gif

Don't be so sure. (I know...it's a literbike, not a 600.)

motoguy128

What I hate most about aftermarket exhausts, air filter and so on... is that afterwards, you've gained little performance, but sacrified mileage, it usually is running a little rich so you riding gear and passenger smell like exhaust, and you often have drivebility and starting problems. The bike becomes more temperamental.

Even with a passenger, the 1150 motor has more than enough power to haul you quickly up to 90mph. Above that who cares... this isn't a race bike. Maybe I've just gotten the craving for fire breathing sportbike performance out of my system when I bought my BMW. All that power is wasted on the street where you can't use it. And 1/2 of it is wasted by anoyone that's not at least a amature level road racer. I worked my way up to the "Advanced" group at some local track riding clubs, but I was barely tapping inot the potential of the bike.... yet I was still passing 1000cc bikes on hte entry into turns on my 600. An extra 30HP didn't help them much, so I don't see how 3 or 4 will help a BMW.

I recommend putting any money your willing to spend into suspension upgrades and tires... or just buy a used 1000cc bike to have on the side to get your speed fix.

russell_bynum
What I hate most about aftermarket exhausts, air filter and so on... is that afterwards, you've gained little performance, but sacrified mileage, it usually is running a little rich so you riding gear and passenger smell like exhaust, and you often have drivebility and starting problems. The bike becomes more temperamental.

Even with a passenger, the 1150 motor has more than enough power to haul you quickly up to 90mph. Above that who cares... this isn't a race bike. Maybe I've just gotten the craving for fire breathing sportbike performance out of my system when I bought my BMW. All that power is wasted on the street where you can't use it. And 1/2 of it is wasted by anoyone that's not at least a amature level road racer. I worked my way up to the "Advanced" group at some local track riding clubs, but I was barely tapping inot the potential of the bike.... yet I was still passing 1000cc bikes on hte entry into turns on my 600. An extra 30HP didn't help them much, so I don't see how 3 or 4 will help a BMW.

I recommend putting any money your willing to spend into suspension upgrades and tires... or just buy a used 1000cc bike to have on the side to get your speed fix.

Good advice.

About the only performance mod on a boxer than makes sense is the GS tube swap. That doesn't give you any extra power, it just gives you a little more midrange torque, which is nice to have.

Your return on investment just isn't there for the other mods...unless you just like fiddling around with your bike...in which case: go nuts. smile.gif

Nice to see I'm not stuck in the land of HD all by myself....LOL.

I'm just over in Wrightsville

Hey, what color is your RT. I've probably passed you down along the river before. Yeah, I would never think of doing anything to my RT myself, but waqs just wondering how many guys on here have done it. I'm not looking for anymore power. If I was, I never would have sold my CBR. It was fun, but I have more fun riding my KLR and RT.

Nice to see I'm not stuck in the land of HD all by myself....LOL.

I'm just over in Wrightsville

I'm in Honey Brook...Oh, and a Silver RT .. We Amish country folk should meet up some time

Ron Schmidt at Motorcycle Repair and Rendezvous in SLC, UT put a turbo on his R1150GS. I understand he is yet to run it on the dino to find out what it actually did performance wise, but he claims that you can definitely feel the diffence. He did a very clean, good looking job on all of it.

TWEETY BYRD

I THINK SOME ARE MISSING A POINT. I DID TWO PLUG,STAYINTUNE AND POWER COMMANDER.NO MORE SURGE, SMOOTHER THROUGHOUT ENTIRE REV RANGE AND SOME POWER INCREASE. THE BIKE RAN LIKE CRAP, WHEN NEW ,COMPARED TO MANY OTHERS I HAVE OWNED.IT IS NOW A PLEASURE TO RIDE WITH NICE THROTTLE RESPONCE ON AND OFF THE POWER.CORNERING IS THEREFORE MUCH BETTER AND THE REMOVED ABS MAKES THIS A NICE SPORT TOURER. THE OLINS HELPED A BUNCH TOO. BOB clap.gif

Archived