IGNORED

Only 2 non-esa K1200GTs in USA?

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

My dealer just told me there are only 2 non-esa equiped 2007 K1200GT bimmers in the USA - Florida and Jersey. I am stuck paying the $800 for the ESA, meaning I ain't gonna spend $1300 on Ohlins replacments - bummer - hope the stock shocks don't wear out too fast!

russell_bynum
My dealer just told me there are only 2 non-esa equiped 2007 K1200GT bimmers in the USA - Florida and Jersey. I am stuck paying the $800 for the ESA, meaning I ain't gonna spend $1300 on Ohlins replacments - bummer - hope the stock shocks don't wear out too fast!

The other option: Wait until they have what you want.

Nobody needs a new K1200GT...there's no reason to buy something that isn't what you want. If you're spending that much money, you might as well get what you want.

Ran into this same problem as I didn't want an ESA bike. However they don't seem to order them for the dealers without ESA so good luck finding one. You can always place an order to have a bike built your way, it just means waiting 2+ months to get it. I wanted mine for Torrey and knew I needed a bit of time to get it broke in as well before the trip so I settled on taking one with ESA. However after hagling with the dealer over not wanting ESA he offered to reduce the price of the bike by the cost of that option. So basically i got ESA for free. That is if you don't count the 3k it's gonna cost when it needs new shocks. dopeslap.gif

I'm hoping at some point in time the manufacturer of the shocks, WP, will eventually be allowed to sell them at their price and not the standard overpriced BMW cost. I'm guessing they have a no compete clause or something for the time being as they don't offer them for sale yet, just produce them for BMW.

Their website http://www.wp.nl/index.php shows an after market ESA system you can buy from them to put on R1200GS, R1150RT that did not have an ESA option. So there is hope. (Crosses fingers)

I test rode a K1200GT two weeks ago here in Chicago and to my knowledge it did not have "esa".

Call Chi-BMW and ask for Mike.

My dealer just told me there are only 2 non-esa equiped 2007 K1200GT bimmers in the USA
I would take that with a grain of salt.

The two options I would consider are listed above... negotiate the cost of the ESA out of the deal or find a non-ESA bike elsewhere. You can probably find a dealer who would be happy to have a bike all set up with Ohlins for you when you pick it up. What's a few more weeks if it means getting exactly what you want?

That is if you don't count the 3k it's gonna cost when it needs new shocks. dopeslap.gif

Am I missing something? Why couldn't you put Ohlins on an ESA bike? Sure, you'd lose the ESA functionality, but I have to believe that it is possible to put standard shocks on the bike, since the bike is available configured that way. Your ESA was free and you didn't want it to begin with, so why not just ditch it if and when the shocks wear out? Also, is it not possible that ESA shocks are actually rebuildable, unlike traditional BMW shocks?

--sam

My dealer just told me there are only 2 non-esa equiped 2007 K1200GT bimmers in the USA
I would take that with a grain of salt.

The two options I would consider are listed above... negotiate the cost of the ESA out of the deal or find a non-ESA bike elsewhere. You can probably find a dealer who would be happy to have a bike all set up with Ohlins for you when you pick it up. What's a few more weeks if it means getting exactly what you want?

There's not many in the US, there's only 2 in the state of California. Here's the issue that your dealer is backed up against - BMW no longer supports dealer trades, which means the your dealer has to buy that bike from the other dealer and pay to have it shipped.

If you're serious about having a non-esa, make it very clear so that the dealer doesn't feel as though they'll be out $20,000 if you were to bail on the bike.

Or, as Brian mentioned, you can special order the bike. There's no guarantee when the special order will be built, that all depends upon the dealer's earned share for that model.

GOOD LUCK!!

kris

Call another dealer. Stealers will tell you / promise you anything to sell the bike on their floor. That bike on the floor is costing them money everyday it sits there. The dealer will balk on ordering you a "special" bike. He really wants to get that bike off his floor. He's got a bite and hopes to reel it in. Get another opinion.

Steve wave.gif

If you're in L.A., we've got one sitting on the floor in Pomona. You could be riding it this evening. I'll PM you with the particulars.

What..? Where are all these non-ESA bikes coming from? I thought that there were only two in the US, in Florida an NJ? wink.gif

Why couldn't you put Ohlins on an ESA bike? Sure, you'd lose the ESA functionality, but I have to believe that it is possible to put standard shocks on the bike, since the bike is available configured that way. Your ESA was free and you didn't want it to begin with, so why not just ditch it if and when the shocks wear out? Also, is it not possible that ESA shocks are actually rebuildable, unlike traditional BMW shocks?

--sam

That is what I will do if it's still 3k when these are shot. You can put them on but the dealer needs to fool the bike computer into ignoring the shocks otherwise you get an error. I don't know the specifics, but it can be done.

As for rebuildable, normally WP shocks are rebuildable. The information from one of the WP rep's was that BMW specified that the shocks built for them be nonrebuildable. Now if WP were to sell their own replacement part for the bike I don't see why they couldn't make it rebuildable. I'll cross this bridge when I come to it and hope there are more options when I do eventually need shocks. I don't see me paying 3k for shocks when I do eventually need them.

russell_bynum

You can put them on but the dealer needs to fool the bike computer into ignoring the shocks otherwise you get an error.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the place on the instrument cluster over the error. Bingo...no more error.

eyesurgeon

2 in the US seems unlikely since I saw one in Fresno a few weeks ago. Can't imagine they received 50% the the country's allotment of non ESA bikes.

Put a piece of electrical tape over the place on the instrument cluster over the error. Bingo...no more error.

Nice try but then I don't get any other errors either, such as low tire pressure, low oil pressure, low battery charge, overheat, etc.

2 in the US seems unlikely since I saw one in Fresno a few weeks ago. Can't imagine they received 50% the the country's allotment of non ESA bikes.

Never know......

lurker.giflurker.gif

BTW- Welcome to the board..... thumbsup.gif

A friend wanted a 1200 without ESA and the dealers in the surrounding area didn't have any. The dealer that got one from another dealer out of state got my friends business and he got the bike he wanted.

russell_bynum

Nice try but then I don't get any other errors either, such as low tire pressure, low oil pressure, low battery charge, overheat, etc.

Less stuff to worry about...sounds like a good thing to me.

smile.gif

Call another dealer. Stealers will tell you / promise you anything to sell the bike on their floor. That bike on the floor is costing them money everyday it sits there. The dealer will balk on ordering you a "special" bike. He really wants to get that bike off his floor. He's got a bite and hopes to reel it in. Get another opinion.

Steve wave.gif

Hijack

post deleted, you're not worth it

frown.gif

End Hijack

Archived