IGNORED

Can my tire be fixed???

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

New Michelin Pilots, less than 300 miles. Today the rear tire picked up a piece of wire & went flat. frown.gif

What are my options? What is the correct fix?

Thanks,

Stephen

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I would go to a shop that can dismount the tire, inspect it for damage and if OK then install a Mushroom-type plug. I think you'll be good for the long term. I've had three flats--2 on tube type, one on tubeless--all on the rear tire.

harleyjohn45

i've thrown away some new tires in my lifetime. i would not be able to forget the plug in that rear tire.

The tire can be patched, the challenge is in finding someone to do it for you. I just replaced a rear Pilot Road that had a mushroom patch installed from the inside out. I had 4000 mi on the tire w/patch and never a hint of a problem.

It is however a very personal decision, whether to patch or replace.

Has anyone actually had a proper professional patch job go bad ? I dont mean plugging the tire in any way . I mean a professionally installed vulcanizing patch . I was in the auto business for a number of years and did a lot of automotive tire patching that way and never had one leak ,and there were some pretty nasty ones . I did my motorcycle tire no problem and I know I had done a few others for friends ,again never a problem .I'm just asking not trying to change anyones mind into doing it . I don't think I would have a problem doing it again on my bike . I would never ride on a plug unless it was just to get home and install a proper patch . Dave

Agent_Orange

Nooo to plug. Wire cord has been known to cut stem of plug with resulting failure of plug. blush.gif

What Flyer5 said. +1 thumbsup.gif

Has anyone actually had a proper professional patch job go bad ? I dont mean plugging the tire in any way . I mean a professionally installed vulcanizing patch . I was in the auto business for a number of years and did a lot of automotive tire patching that way and never had one leak ,and there were some pretty nasty ones . I did my motorcycle tire no problem and I know I had done a few others for friends ,again never a problem .I'm just asking not trying to change anyones mind into doing it . I don't think I would have a problem doing it again on my bike . I would never ride on a plug unless it was just to get home and install a proper patch . Dave

I managed a Goodyear tire center for 3 years. We patched a lot of tires from the inside. Of course, never on the sidewall.

Stephen_Chase

Hi All. Here is the upshot of my tire misfortune. I bought new today because nobody would fix the tire on the weekend and for peace of mind. I can ride without second guessing the tire. clap.gif

The damage is hard to find with the staple gone and it is not on the side wall. So, I will find a good vulcanizer and use the "old" tire as a spare, or sell it . Only 300 miles on it. Still has the rubber "tips" on it.

Thanks for all the well considered advice!! wave.gifThis is a great site.

Stephen

As the above posts show, you can go either way on this problem.

When you get on your bike for that first ride tomorrow morning I bet you have a warm fuzzy feeling instead of that wondering in the back of your mind, "Is that plug gonna hold"? That, my friend is a priceless feeling. IMHO you made the right choice.

harleyjohn45

good decision, i'll ride on anything to get home or to a motorcycle shop, but riding 6 or 8 k miles on a plug. i would prefer a new cheng shin tire to a plug. actually i know a lot of people who run cheng's and i use them on all my antique bikes. lol

I picked up a wire in my rear tire a few years ago while on a tour. I was able to add air enough times to get to a dealer in NH. He wouldn't plug the almost new tire because of liability issues. Ended up having to get a new tire! bncry.gif

You made the safest choice. I've been there a couple of times. Patched the first one, and never trusted it. The second time went new for peace at mind.

I've mushroom patched a Pirelli and a Dunlop rear tire and rode both of them over 10,000 miles after the repair. No problem.

Hi All. Here is the upshot of my tire misfortune. I bought new today because nobody would fix the tire on the weekend and for peace of mind. I can ride without second guessing the tire. clap.gif

The damage is hard to find with the staple gone and it is not on the side wall. So, I will find a good vulcanizer and use the "old" tire as a spare, or sell it . Only 300 miles on it. Still has the rubber "tips" on it.

Thanks for all the well considered advice!! wave.gifThis is a great site.

Stephen

I'm sure you will tell the prospective buyer that the tire is damage. thumbsup.gif

If people are just throwing away there new tires because of a staple, wire or nail hole in them ,send them to me as long as they have not been plugged or side wall damage . I will gladly pay shipping and even sign a waiver if needed . I hate to see a good tire go to waste .

Stephen_Chase

I'm sure you will tell the prospective buyer that the tire is damage. thumbsup.gif

I'll let you consider the liklihood that the prospective buyer would either quickly discover:

(a) If fixed, the fact that a vulcanized patch is present or,

(b) If not fixed, that the tire won't hold air.............

Archived