IGNORED

Nav III GPS

Crank

I just talked to Garmin tech support and they said that the BMW Navi III does not support ANY XM products. What? End of conversation, I guess. I knew it didn't support music, but the manual talks of traffic and weather. Has anyone climbed this tree previously?

I just bought a used 2006 1200rt and the system was with it. Has anyone hooked up XM weather/traffic to the NAV III?

If you can't, then the Nav III is an overpriced AND misleading piece of *#@*ing equipment. Glad I didn't pay for it. At least the GPS works.

Thanks,

Crank

Hi,

If you like the size of the Nav,then get the Garmin 2820,it's the basis for the Nav and does support XM and music downloads.

Even better look at the 2730 at amazon.com,it comes with the XM30 antenna,that you have to buy extra on the other units.It's under $500.

The Zumo is a nice unit,supports XM and MP3's,but you still have to buy the xm30 antenna if you want XM.The Zumo also comes with mounting hardware in the box,something you pay extra for on the other units.

JR356

I have a NavIII and it uses the other traffic receiver system. I think it uses Clear Channel info, but it works great. I've actially made it through Atlanta without sitting in traffic.

No weather though.

NAV. III & 2820 are same base model. The issue is BMW Corp. has an exclusive agreement with SIRIUS so when they do the special BMW Nav III eprom they add the BMW Logo, dealer list, and disable the XM capability. dopeslap.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
NAV. III & 2820 are same base model. The issue is BMW Corp. has an exclusive agreement with SIRIUS so when they do the special BMW Nav III eprom they add the BMW Logo, dealer list, and disable the XM capability. dopeslap.gif

Garmin doesn't just disable the XM capability, they disable ALL the music capability ... MP3, audio books, and XM.

When I questioned Garmin about the Nav III, they told me it was technically a 2720 with bluetooth added, and not a disabled 2820 ... but either way it's got limited functionality.

Archived