IGNORED

Will this now be part of your ATGATT?

gottabmw

I am in no doubt that riders the world over will put safety first and welcome the benefits this protective equipment offers.

mx rider use a similar less advanced neck roll currently. looks to be well thought out. with the new 450 bmw enduro, my guess is they'll have a complete mx clothing line.

I swore I would never ever wear a neck brace in my race car, BUT, I finally tried one and now I feel naked with out it.

I don't move my head around much in the race car as compared to a bike so I will have wait to pass judgment on such a device for a motorcycle rider.

ShovelStrokeEd

Probably a significant safety advance.

I probably won't get one.

I am at the point now where it takes me quite some time to gear up for a ride and I don't even wear all the gear I have. Most of the time, it is jeans, a jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet. I do wear my riding pants on a trip. I wear even less gear when commuting to work. Then it is just a helmet and gloves. 4.4 miles from my house on city streets. Yeah, I know, crap can happen any time or any where. Blah, blah, blah. It's friggin' hot in Florida and I don't feel like changing when I arrive/leave work so its a golf shirt, loafers and dress pants along with helmet and gloves.

I would strongly consider one of those for a day's ride when I planned to really push things or a track day. I kinda wonder about this though. A helmet doesn't offer much traction on pavement, how much force is gonna get transmitted to your neck? OK, a high side could land you on your noggin but that thing isn't going to do much about compression injuries. I also kinda wonder about helmet compatability. My RF1000 is cut much higher than my Quantum used to be. Since the axes isn't very far from the edge of the helmet that would have a big effect on the degree of movement allowed.

Hopefully this item will be made mandatory in all states for motorcyclists. I don't want to be financially responsible for careless riders who are injured simply because they wanted the 'freedom' of not wearing one.

russell_bynum
Hopefully this item will be made mandatory in all states for motorcyclists. I don't want to be financially responsible for careless riders who are injured simply because they wanted the 'freedom' of not wearing one.

<snicker>

The video of a Gold-wing doing a crash test that came out several months ago convinced me that neck injuries will kill you if you T-bone a minivan at a typical street speed.

So I think neck restraint might make sense for street riding. If it fits with typical armored street jackets, and if it doesn't interfere with head checks, and so on.

Lineareagle

Hmmm well I used to wear a brace when I played at full back, and unless this is a WHOLE lot better designed and integrated with the helmet and suit, I wouldn't touch it.

A lot of this stuff just makes for more injuries, after all when you come off a bike how are you going to hit the ground or objects?

They can't possibly predict all the senarios, unlike say a car where they can strap you into the cage and pretty well predict the forces that are going to be exerted on you.

I think I'll wait for this to be more available.

Body Armour

151848031-M.jpg

I feel the same way as Ed, quite honestly if people are this obsessed about getting hurt they should stop riding and remove the risk altogether.

I feel the same way as Ed, quite honestly if people are this obsessed about getting hurt they should stop riding and remove the risk altogether.

exactly.....There's a point where ATGATT means driving a car.

steve.foote

Swimming against the grain here, I happen to be very interested in them. Leatt makes the model for BMW, KTM and undoubtedly others in three models. The "club" is $395, the "sport" is $595 and the "pro" is fully carbon fiber coming in at a healthy $995. The difference between the models is the weight of the material used to make them.

While riding the dirt bike, I've not felt overwhelmed by the protective gear I wear, including MX boots, hardened knee braces, body armor w/chest and back protection and a race collar. I'll probably replace the race collar with a Leatt neck brace in the next few weeks.

On the street, I'm likely to stick to the traditional riders suit, boots, gloves and helmet. But, on dirt, I'm much more likely to take a fall. In my mind, there is no question that a race collar, and particularly the Leatt neck brace, can significantly reduce the risk of a serious neck injury.

Archived