IGNORED

A side story from a recent rally trip

beemerboy

I attended a K-bike rally in Texas Hill Country late last month and had a great time. I and settled in at the motel where the rally was headquartered and ventured into the nearby town to pick up some provisions (each motel unit had a kitchen) and barley pop.

As I was loading said provisions on my bike another customer comes out of the store and strikes up a conversation about motorcycles in general. After some discussion I learned that he owns a newly opened bar and restaurant in Hill Country and wanted to get the word out about his establishment.

He told me he'd put up banners around town advertising free beer and munchies for his grand opening but didn't get many takers. He seem perplexed that "bikers" wouldn't be attracted to free beer.

I looked at him with complete astonishment, something he picked up on, and then asked him why he thought offering free alcoholic beverages to people on two wheeled machines was a good idea. After a few moments I could see the light go on and he agreed that he might be able to attract more business by offering free water, tea, or soft drinks.

Well, DUH! dopeslap.gif

I like beer as much as the next guy but when it comes to riding and drinking my riding day ends when the adult beverages come out.

I rode away shaking my head but pleased that I'd given him something to consider as an alternative to what seemed to be a bad idea.

BeniciaRT_GT

uhhhhh, I really hate to say this...but having ridden with MANY folks on cruisers back in the day:

He should continue with the free beer to attract another type of motorcycling crowd that will take him up on it.

It seems stereotypes do fit some in a crowd. I've never met anyone here that would chase free beer on a BMW, or at least admit to it among this circle of people.

uhhhhh, I really hate to say this...but having ridden with MANY folks on cruisers back in the day:

He should continue with the free beer to attract another type of motorcycling crowd that will take him up on it.

It seems stereotypes do fit some in a crowd. I've never met anyone here that would chase free beer on a BMW, or at least admit to it among this circle of people.

It's hard to deny the "stereotype" angle here. I tried my best not to come off as a holier than thou motorcyclist as I explained that drinking and driving, or in this case riding, isn't a smart thing to do.

Based on the look on his face and the fact that the notion of free beer didn't get me excited, I think he decided to stop pushing his promotion and depart. Did he notice I was wearing riding gear? Did he notice I wasn't on a cruiser? Yes to both questions as I didn't fit his stereotypical image of a biker. More than anything though I sure hope he rethought his idea of offering free booze to motorists whether they be on two OR four wheels.

Matts_12GS

Would chase a free beer or two on my BMW.... That's why I sold it, the ABS was making me complacent when I had one or two. grin.gif

Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone!

Archived