IGNORED

12V on an R1150RT

pabeemer

I've read where other members get the 12V for their toys smile.gif from the Accessories fuse, or the unused Radio fuse ... My question is; are most people putting a spade tap on the fuse, or removing the fuse box and tapping the wires underneath...I need a feed for an Autocom, iPod, Garmin GPS, and a Cellphone.

If you're going to power all the toys....you may want to consider putting in a fuse block. Many here have used the Centech or the Blue Sea. It gets connected to the battery and gives you 6 fused circuits and a good common ground. You can wire it so that it's switched or always powered.

My question is; are most people putting a spade tap on the fuse

If that is the device that goes on the fuse and gets jammed into the fuse slot, DO NOT use that. These are pure junk that can screw up your fuse box (they spread the contacts in the box and can cause them to break).

You may want to consider hot wiring the GPS. I had mine switched, but rewired it after the first trip. I did not like needing the key on while using the GPS (reviewing a route, etc)

I hooked the GPS up to the 'radio connector' near the glovebox. I cut the hot wire and soldered the GPS lead to it.

All of my other electronics, like the autocom, are connected to a switched fuse box.

I hooked the GPS up to the 'radio connector' near the glovebox. I cut the hot wire and soldered the GPS lead to it.

Which wire did you use?..I recently bought the mating connector...I heard there are multiple wires you can use dependent upon how you want the device to work...(ie...with the key, 30 sec delay...etc)

If you want to use the fuse-box, buy an "Add-a-Circuit" at Advance Auto Parts or others, and F4 is the the horn circuit if I remember correctly.

If you pull the left side tupperware, you will find a blue male 4-connector (2x12V and 2-GND) which is unused if you don't have the factory radio. This is an easy direct run to the dash area.

Be Bold!

-RickP.

St_Louis_Don

I did the Add-a Circuit off the horn fuse. I used that lead to power a rely which directed power off the battery directly to a Blue Sea fuse block. Then ran my toys off the Blue Sea, each with their own fuse. GPS, XM, Autocom, Heated Jacket, Aux Lights

A lot of this depends on how many toys you have and how fastidious you want to be about it all.

Which wire did you use?..I recently bought the mating connector...I heard there are multiple wires you can use dependent upon how you want the device to work...(ie...with the key, 30 sec delay...etc)

I used the wire that was constant 12V. I did not know about the wire with a 30 sec delay.

Again, this was only used for my GPS. My other electronics are connected using a switched mini fuse block.

I spliced into the radio wires near the "glove box" or radio box. Used the brown for ground, the red-with-white stripe (which is always on) for my GPS, and the purple-with-black stipe (which is off when the handlebar is locked) for my SIRIUS radio. This last wire has its own 4 amp fuse in the fuse box. I also installed a standard cigarette lighter style outlet in the glove box so I can charge my cell phone or PDA while going down the road. All works fine.

Which wire did you use?..I recently bought the mating connector...

Where did you purchase the mating connector and do you have a name and part#?

I would like to use this plug but really don't want to cut into the wiring harness.

Found it on eBay...."BMW 88-01 car stereo harness M5 Z3 M3 bwh470" It comes with 4 little tabs on each corner of the connector...I filed them down and the connector fit real well...The connector was a whole $0.99 , $4.50 for shipping. I hooked the connector up over the weekend, and hooked the power to the wire that cuts-out when you turn the key all the way to off (lock the front end)...Very pleased with the results....Thanks to all of you for your input...Am now going to put a fuse block (from Advanced Auto) under the seat and tied to the battery for the rest of the toys...

Found it on eBay...."BMW 88-01 car stereo harness M5 Z3 M3 bwh470"

Thanks Pabeemer, just what I was looking for!!

Slyder_Steve

Is this for bikes with the radio prep? I looked at the plug on ebay, but it looks nothing like to 4-pin plug I've got on my 04 RT.

Archived