IGNORED

Windshield Speed Limit?

Boxerdad

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
You should not adjust an 1100RT windscreen above 135 mph.

lmao.gif

Ditto that!

lmao.gif

Does anyone know if there is a speed above which one should not adjust the RT windshield?

Boxerdad, in my opinion it depends on the type of helmet you are wearing.. At speeds greater than 125 mph ( GPS) if I lower my windshield it will blow my shorty helmet off my head & over on my back with the chin strap choking my neck.. On the other hand if wearing a full face shield I can lower it at any speed with no problems what-so-ever.. As a matter of fact if the windshield on my 1150RT is lowered slightly I can coax a couple of more miles an hour out of the top speed (all the way down on the windshield will start to slow it down again)..

If you are referring to mechanism potential damage.. Obviously the faster you go the more load that is placed on both the windshield & power mechanism so adjusting the windshield at very high speeds will probably accelerate the parts wear slightly but for normal speeds & normal adjustment intervals I seriously doubt you could tell the difference..

I would think the greatest potential for damage & mechanism problems would come from using some of those large oversized aftermarket wind screens as they would place a very heavy load on the power adj parts at brisk road speeds.

Remember that bike was designed for the Autobahn so I’m sure it has been well tested for reasonable windshield position changes at or near top speed..

Twisty

As far as damaging the mechanism, I don't think moving the windshield has any noticeable increase on the wear. Just guessing that the motor moves the windshield at 1/2 foot per second. That translates to about 0.4mph. The additional load placed on the mechanism by the added windforce of raising the windshield at 0.4mph when the windshield is already withstanding a 120mph load would be insignificant.

Jerry Johnston

I remember reading a speed limit when I first got the bike but don't remember if it was in the manual. At the time it seemed to be really low - wqs either 60 or 80mph. I've had the bike for 11 yrs. now and haven't paid much attention to it. The only time I've worried about it was when I was in strong gusty head winds, then I lower the windshield to its lowest position unless it's raining also. It's not too often I get in that situation.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I remember reading a speed limit when I first got the bike but don't remember if it was in the manual. At the time it seemed to be really low - wqs either 60 or 80mph.

There's an official 80-MPH limit for the sidecases and trunk, but I don't recall any limit for windscreen movement. It's not uncommon for me to rocket down an on-ramp, merge at 80-90, and then put the windscreen up after my situation has stabilized. No problems yet.

I remember reading a speed limit when I first got the bike but don't remember if it was in the manual. At the time it seemed to be really low - wqs either 60 or 80mph.

There's an official 80-MPH limit for the sidecases and trunk, but I don't recall any limit for windscreen movement. It's not uncommon for me to rocket down an on-ramp, merge at 80-90, and then put the windscreen up after my situation has stabilized. No problems yet.

And here I thought my side cases were tilted down

in front to create down force above 80mph. The things

you learn on this forum. smirk.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

There's an official 80-MPH limit for the sidecases and trunk

Ooops! ooo.gif How much of a concern is this?

Joe Frickin' Friday

I didn't say anything bad would happen, just that there's an official 80-MPH limit in the operator's manual. Many here routinely exceed that speed, by a wide margin, with sidecases on the bike, and no ill effects.

I didn't say anything bad would happen, just that there's an official 80-MPH limit in the operator's manual. Many here routinely exceed that speed, by a wide margin, with sidecases on the bike, and no ill effects.
I can't believe that's true. That would be against the law. I don't think there's anywhere in the States that 80mph is legal. grin.gif
As far as damaging the mechanism, I don't think moving the windshield has any noticeable increase on the wear. Just guessing that the motor moves the windshield at 1/2 foot per second. That translates to about 0.4mph. The additional load placed on the mechanism by the added windforce of raising the windshield at 0.4mph when the windshield is already withstanding a 120mph load would be insignificant.

You missed the point entirely, I think. The potential problem is that high speeds cause a large force on the windshield, which in turn may make the motor work a lot harder to overcome. The risk is potential overloading of the electric motor and gear train.

St_Louis_Don

I read it once. I'm thinking it was like 35 mph. I remember thinking;

"this isn't meant to be adjusted on the fly. Well hell, you almost need to be stopped to adjust it. What good is that?"

I’ll try and remember to look in the manual and get back to you. I do remember it was a very low speed.

The gear train that moves the windshield is the same gear train that holds the windshield in position. So if the force of the wind at speed isn't enough to strip the teeth off the gear or rotate the gear on the shaft, the additional force of moving the windshield isn't likely to cause a gear train failure.

I "read somewhere" about my bike with the side cases on doing 138mph and no ill effects . I never though about speed with the side cases ,oh well ignorance is bliss I guess.

The gear train that moves the windshield is the same gear train that holds the windshield in position. So if the force of the wind at speed isn't enough to strip the teeth off the gear or rotate the gear on the shaft, the additional force of moving the windshield isn't likely to cause a gear train failure.

Point taken. But it will casue the motor to possibly work a lot harder.

Charles Elms

I can't believe that's true. That would be against the law. I don't think there's anywhere in the States that 80mph is legal

West Texas on I10 speed limit is 80 MPH from El Paso to west of San Antonio.

Agent_Orange

If you are that worried about the motor, gears, etc, just pull over, stop, adjust windshield and resume motoring. tongue.gif

No probleeeemo. grin.giflmao.gif

Agent_Orange

I was gonna say ............... but no. Let me just say that I have adjusted my 'shield at various speeds. tongue.gif

Archived