IGNORED

Safe to dismount 12RT using left peg?

velomoto

Has anyone had their 12RT tip over while dismounting and using the left peg to stand on? eek.gif I've been told, and observed, the 12RT is very stable when on the center stand, but I've yet to find a method to get the bike onto the centerstand while I'm over the bike.

Cheers,

Greg

I'm confused. confused.gif I just deploy the side stand, lay the bike over on the stand, put my left foot down, hold the handlebars, with one finger on the brake, and swing my leg over the seat towards the back. The only time I lift and kick my leg straight over the riders seat is if I have my duffel bag strapped to the back. Then I just hold the left handlebar for balance.

I do step on the left peg when the bike is on the center stand, to mount the bike because it's too tall to throw a leg over. But I make sure I don't pull on the handlebars etc. and make sure my weight is well over the center of the bike, then just step up onto the left peg.

Not sure that I understand what you're trying to do. If it's standing on the left peg to mount the bike, I don't think I would endorse that. I can see the peg bending, breaking pretty easily when asked to support (in my case) an extra 200lbs.

I've dismounted using the peg while on the side stand a few times. I mount using the left peg, while on the side/center stands several times a day.

However, I always pay attention the ground I am parking on too. I put the sidestand down and drag the bike back on it a bit too check the surface and make sure the sidestand is down and "locked".

Got that habit the hard way, the bike dismounted me (once) dopeslap.gif

I think the only way to put the bike on the centerstand is to dismount first. Put your right foot on the centerstand, left hand on the left grip, then pull it up with the right hand using the rear grab rail. You would have to be pretty tall to do it while straddling the bike. I always straddle the bike to take it off the centerstand though. My R12RT is much more stable on the centerstand than my previous R1150RT. The R12RT always rests on the front wheel where my R1150RT used to teeter back and forth off the front and rear wheel.

Johnv

velomoto,

I have been mounting and dismounting mine by standing on the left peg since I got it 13,600 miles ago in July of 2005. No incidents and no side stand bending yet. I weight about 180 lbs.

I was concerned that my boot would hit the panniers and wanted the extra height when mounting/dismounting to reduce that possibility. It has worked out fine. I do have a fat-foot (photo attached) on my side stand and I do make sure the stand is on solid ground before I do this.

YMMV

thumbsup.gif

856943-IMG_0800.jpg.8e521b60630e2df9334530b0b3fa1430.jpg

Unless your legs are very short, I cannot understand why you would bother to get off standing on the peg.

Seems to me it is a lot easier to just plant your left foot on the ground and just get off. After all, you had to put your left foot on the ground to tip the bike over on the side stand anyway, so, since while you have tour foot already on the ground, why not just swing your right leg over and get off? Maybe I'm missing something here?

I will routinely stand on the left peg to mount/dismount, especially with a duffle bag or the top case installed, while the bike is on the side stand. I also do the same thing when it is on the center stand. I weigh at least 200 lbs. in full gear and helmet.

Since I also routinely stand or "post" on the pegs while riding over bumps and obstacles, I'd hate to think that they won't support my weight plus a lot more. I've looked at the pegs and their mounting brackets and I don't think their strength is an issue. If you consider the vertical force they are subjected to, by a 200 lb. plus rider standing on them, with the acceleration forces imposed by hitting a dip or bump at speed, they have to be strong.

I stand my 160 lbs on the left peg, and lift my leg over the seat, like the post above I need the extra height, and it looks kinda cool in the parking lots. crazy.gif

I dismount the same way. My issue is not reaching the ground with my left leg, but kinda hard for me to swing my right leg over without hitting anything. When I'm standing on the peg, I just lift my rt. leg over the seat, so I don't have to swing it around.

I never once thought about bending the peg??? And not had a problem in 35,000 miles, and probably 5,000 on/offs.

bobanddianne

I held off on buying a 1200RT because of the height factor. I use the side stand almost exclusively and the following is a charming solution.

A method that works quite well for when the bike is on the side stand is to mount/dismount using the RIGHT peg.

For dismounting, grip the handlebars and lift your body straight up over the bike, swing your left leg over (while your body is still OVER the bike), then smoothly and continuously lower yourself to the ground.

For mounting using the right peg, lean over the bike, and while gripping the handlebars with your right foot on the peg, give a hop/jump/catapult up and across so your body is over the bike. Then swing your left leg over and lower yourself onto the bike.

This really works well for someone as inseam challanged as I. And it puts less strain on the side stand than getting on and off with the left peg. smile.gif

Once you've done it this way a time or two, you will have every confidence in it.

thumbsup.gif

I never once thought about bending the peg??? And not had a problem in 35,000 miles, and probably 5,000 on/offs.

Using generally accepted design principles, the peg should be able to comfortably handle at least 1000 lbs. A rider, standing up, going through a sharp dip would have more force on one peg than the same rider putting all his weight on one peg to dismount. My wild guess is that if you measured the components and calculated the yield point, it would be more than 2,000 lbs.

The really interesting thing about this discussion, is that pages 73 & 77 of the (2005) manual, caution against leaning, or sitting, on the motorcycle with either stand extended!

I don't think the issue here is whether the peg will hold you, of course it will. To me the issue is the side stand and whether it's design factors in the additional weight of climbing on/off the bike.

Jim VonBaden

On a 12GS mind you, but myself and many of my friends use the sidestand/left pag method often, and several ALWAYS use it, with no failures or issues of any kind.

I often site on my bike on the sidestand for several minutes or more, again with no issues.

My friend Kermit, and 260 always mounts his bike on the sidestand using the peg over method because of his bad knee.

Jim cool.gif

I completely missed the issue of the sidestand being able to handle a rider bouncing around on the peg while the bike is leaning on the sidestand. That is a very good point and seems more likely to be a problem than the footpeg.

I occassionally "post" with the left foot peg to clear gear lashed to the pillion. I highly doubt there is any undue stress to the foot peg associated with this even if done regularly. I think that the MOM warning not to do so has more to do with a potential associated weight shift causing the bike to move forward and off the stands (either one), particularly if the bike is pointed downhill. All the more reason to stop the bike in-gear, or follow that ole MSF advice to always squeeze the brake lever when mounting/dismounting. It's a force of habit for me, but I see quite a few riders just hoping off/on bikes with no thought to the effects of Mr. Newton's invisible force. wink.gif

I'm confused. confused.gif

Not sure that I understand what you're trying to do. If it's standing on the left peg to mount the bike, I don't think I would endorse that. I can see the peg bending, breaking pretty easily when asked to support (in my case) an extra 200lbs.

Sorry for not being more clear - my bad... The problem I am trying to fix is kicking the top or side cases when mounting/dismounting. I've got rather large feet, long legs and limited flexibility (coordination?) and on several occasions have found the cases with a boot. Without the topcase there's not a problem as I can easily swing a leg over. Similarly when mounting the bike on the centerstand I'll step on the left peg and it's easy to swing the right leg around and inside the topcase.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! thumbsup.gif

Greg

You guys are worried about boot scuffs! Go ride the darn thing. They rub off with your finger if they really bug you. ;-) Sorry I thought it was a motorcycle not an ornament in a glass case. confused.gifeek.gif

Well, actually, I do park it on my lawn as a "lawn ornament" for all to admire and enjoy when I'm not riding. lmao.giflmao.gif

I have the Bakup rider's back rest. I have short legs (29.5" inseam) and simply cannot get on the bike easily with the sidestand, because of the Bakup. Thus, I use the sidestand only to dismount (easier to clear the seat when dismounting than when mounting...), which I do by sliding my left foot to the ground, then (barely) clearing the seat with my right leg. Then I put the bike on the center stand. I use the left peg as the first step in my climb onto the bike when it is on the center stand, easily clearing the Bakup rest.

Yes, I know, you can fold and hold the Bakup back rest down. Every try doing that with one hand while gliding the opposite foot over it?

If you can bend a foot peg,,Its time to call Jenny Craig,, lmao.gif

Nobody's talking about the foot peg people, some of us are just wondering if the side stand is up to it. eek.gif

Yankee_Dog

Lots of people on lots of different motorcycles use the sidestand down, stand on the peg to technique of getting on an off. Lots of reason why as well. My point is that I have never heard of a side stand not being up to the task on any sort of bike. I am sure the BMW side stand is up to the task. It is not exactly made out of alluminium conduit.

Yankee Dog

Archived