Will the Techlusion help this issue?

red102

I have a 2001 R1100RT and must say it is the best bike I have owned. I love it!

I do a very, very thorough valve adjustment, tb synch. Change/adjust plugs as needed. Surging is a non issue.

The issue I am having is hard to describe but here goes.

When going from on throttle to off throttle as I might do entering a sharp curve in the road is a very abrupt transition.

That transition is abrupt enough to disrupt handling of the bike. Not dangerous, just very unsettling.

Do you guys think I might be able to tune out this abrupt on/off throttle transition with the Techlusion?

Thanks guys, I will appreciate any help/input you can offer.

You may be able to alleviate this without a Techlusion. When you do a TB synch, you usually shoot for balance at idle and at a certain RPM figure, like 3000, right? Do another synch, do the idle balance in the usual way, but instead of a high-RPM balance do an off-idle balance adjustment. By that I mean shoot for optimum balance just as the throttle butterflies are starting to open. You want the TwinMax needle to stay centered, or the manometer columns to stay equal, as the butterflies start to open. The last time I did a TB synch like that, my R1150R has never been more civilized in the off-on throttle transition. Good luck! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Red,

Your problem is most likely related to the setting of your TPS and, unfortunately, your right wrist. The fuel injection computer is programmed to shut off the fuel if the engine is above 2500 RPM and throttle position sensor voltage is below 400 millivolts. If you back off the throttle just a little less than all the way, you'll find the transition to be much smoother. Setting the TPS voltage, with the throttle closed all the way, as high as possible can often help with this.

I'm over in Lenoir City today and tomorrow, and have a meter and tools with me, drop me a PM if you like and I can ride over there and help. 321 ain't a bad way to get places.

I have a 2001 R1100RT and must say it is the best bike I have owned. I love it!

I do a very, very thorough valve adjustment, tb synch. Change/adjust plugs as needed. Surging is a non issue.

The issue I am having is hard to describe but here goes.

When going from on throttle to off throttle as I might do entering a sharp curve in the road is a very abrupt transition.

That transition is abrupt enough to disrupt handling of the bike. Not dangerous, just very unsettling.

Do you guys think I might be able to tune out this abrupt on/off throttle transition with the Techlusion?

Thanks guys, I will appreciate any help/input you can offer.

Red, I doubt that the Techlusion will help your problem,, the later units only add fuel based on load not RPM & don’t add any fuel on decreasing throttle.. There is a base across the board fuel add pot but if turned up very much it will flat out kill fuel economy & even that won’t add any fuel below 1500 RPM’s..

It would help if you defined at what engine RPM the abrupt throttle action is happening at.. If at about 1500-2000 RPM’s that will be a hard nut to crack as the motorcycle computer shuts off the fuel injectors at about that RPM on closed throttle decel to allow engine idle & also keep the mixture from going rich to protect the cat. converter..

The other thing you are fighting is rather large throttle bodies.. Those flow a lot of air at small throttle plate openings so are difficult to modulate in the -just off idle zone..

It’s possible you just need to ride that bike some more so you can get a better feel for the throttle action in the off idle almost closed throttle range..

I have learned to not roll the throttle completely off in lower gears while leaned over in a corner or tight sweeper.. Smooth throttle control will go a long way towards eliminating that abrupt decel at lower gear abrupt dropped throttle conditions..

Another thing that will (might) work is to move the fast idle lever up when riding like you want as that keeps the engine RPM’s up at dropped throttle so you won’t feel that abrupt decel on dropped throttle.. I do that on my 1150RT when riding extremely slippery roads in the lower gears (like slimy mud or on snow/ice).. With those large pistons, high compression, & only 2 cylinders you have one hack of a vacuum pump when the throttle plates are closed..

Twisty

Archived