IGNORED

2003 r1150rt w/ 84k for 5k?

aih1206

I'm ready to jump in, but I'd love some input from the forum here. High mileage bike, but seems to be well taken care of. Owner was an officer with the local BMW club, all service records with the dealer (I'll take a look tomorrow). Here is the info on the bike:

2003 R1150RT, Piedmont Red, all standard features, also options: heated grips, RCU accessory shelf, J&M CB radio and antenna, J&M integration kit (allows CB, GPS, radar detector, music source, and cell phone to be heard through helmet headset), Valentine One adapter kit, SmarTire pressure monitor, BMW top case, Marsee tank bag, Rick Mayer leather dual seat (stock seat also included), HID low headlight beam. Mileage - 84,000. Dealer maintained with all service records. Always garaged. Some small scratches from parking lot tip-overs.

Thoughts please!!!

853982-BMW021.jpg.d50827a4fa1dd3dcf393dfc18252ab42.jpg

ninermatt

For 5k I wouldn't think twice I would have bought it yesterday! The bike looks great. If you like the bike, and if the records are straight jump on it. Thats a fair price

The reason so many of us ride BMW's is the longevity of the bike. I don't think you could find an asian made sport tourer that made it to 84k. You sure get a lot of motorcycle for the price. You also have forums like this that will help you out with just a few key strokes. It's a proven, long lasting, air cooled, bulletproof design. Look at all the R69, R80, R90, R100, etc, that are still running strong after decades of service.

Go for it and don't look back. (well look back for LEO.s)

Ride it. If you like it; buy it! Very unlikely that you'd ride for ~20 miles and not know what it's like. In other words, I would doubt you'd bring it home and later find out something terribly wrong.

Some BMWs (not all) may "surge" from time to time (usually at constant throttle at ~3500 - 4000 rpm). No worries if you feel a little. Talk to the seller about it if you feel any.

Mine has ~84K and I think it's just about broken in grin.gif

Yeah, She's getting a used 1150r. more of a around town bike i think. She had set this one up for Iron Butt rides.

It was owned by a woman? What are you waiting for? The suspension is probably in great shape for lower poundage in the saddle.

It was owned by a woman? What are you waiting for? The suspension is probably in great shape for lower poundage in the saddle.

Are you saying that men are all lard butts? lurker.gif

Dave_in_TX
The reason so many of us ride BMW's is the longevity of the bike. I don't think you could find an asian made sport tourer that made it to 84k.

I guess you don't consider the ST1100 or ST1300 to be sport tourers. Many of them have well over 84K. eek.gif

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to se an FJR with 84K miles either.

I think you should pass on this one and buy the "great deal" Graff Spee found.

smirk.gif

dopeslap.gif

OK, I'm bad. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Enjoy the bike. wave.gif

The reason so many of us ride BMW's is the longevity of the bike. I don't think you could find an asian made sport tourer that made it to 84k.

I guess you don't consider the ST1100 or ST1300 to be sport tourers. Many of them have well over 84K. eek.gif

Lotsa Connie's which are well over 84K... and still going strong! clap.gif
Dave_in_TX

Lotsa Connie's which are well over 84K... and still going strong! clap.gif

How in the heck did I forget the Connie? dopeslap.gif

Well not to interrupt the discussion concerning the virtuous exceptions to the rare high mileage asian bike comments.. lurker.gif

BUT, I've become the proud owner of a new (to me anyway) '03 r1140rt. clap.gif After the comments here and doing some research on this bike, speaking to the dealer etc.. I've put down the deposit & am anxiously awaiting a chance to go pick her up. Yeah, if anyone caught that, I haven't actual seen her in person much less ridden the bike. I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith here I know. But you know I'm thinking these are folks who are part of a community, and they are going to respect that in terms of being straight about what they are selling. Karma's a bitch. Let the discussion of that assumption ensue.....

I pick up the bike on the 22nd, & will start off my rt ownership with a nice 300 mile ride home. I can't wait.

BTW, thanks to all who have responded to my newbie plea for guidance as I get back to this wanderlust thing I love. See ya out there...

Congratulations on your deposit. You should love the bike. Although I made the comment about asian tourers and the purists here revolted, I doubt many of them would go out and purchase one with 84k. I believe that is +1 for the BMW. It will go much longer than rice burners.

Archived