IGNORED

New Roadrunner Magazine: Article on Cody Wyoming

TonyM315

Have you seen this relatively new magazine called Roadrunner? OK maybe it isn't that new - but it's new to me.

I got my first issue yesterday, and even with the big Yellow Goldwing on the cover wink.gif I was impressed with it. Great pictures great motorcycle tours, articles, and in the new issue, they even give you some tankbag maps for different trips.

Anyways - in this new issue, there is a write-up on a ride around the Northwestern / Cody Wymonig area - and since the upcoming UNRally is there.... smile.gif

Their website is www.rrmotorcycling.com

Tony,

I just got the same issue, and really like the layout/format.

The articles are great, just trip reports. Not much other crap.

It looks like a winner runnin' around Cody, huh?

This is one of the few mags you can read cover-to-cover and not find

too much "fill". Lotta meat. I like how articles aren't between the ads

but the ads are between the articles.

Oh, and that guy Christian? I want his job smile.gif

Ian

Looks interesting. Anyone have a club code number? It asks for it when you subscribe. I belong to BMWOA.

You get a discount with the club code.Something like 10% or so.I e-mailed customer support and they told me the BMWOA discount code(I am a BMWOA member).I don't remember what the code is.I subscribed last fall, have received 3 issues, and it is a real nice magazine,IMO.

For those of you who don't know, the tour you speak of is run by one of our own, member Skip....Steven Schippers.

He started GAMT's a couple years ago,and his website is

http://www.greatamericantouring.com/

Thanks Tony: Looks like a good mag and I want to read the review of the FJR1300 in this month's issue. I've contacted them for a club code since I belong to BMWMOA, AMA and BMWRA and when I get it I'll subscribe. Subscription is a little pricey at $24.95 for 6 issues. From what everyone is saying there are less ads than stories which is good.

Production-wise it's the nicest U.S. Motorcycling magazine I've ever read. The photography in particular is remarkable. Wish I would have had a promo code when I subscribed frown.gif

Only real 'beef' I have after reading this latest issue (the K1200GT/ Kawasaki Comparo), and reading exerpts from the K12LT-Goldwing Comparo in the previous issue - is the editor's reporting - at times - seems to have a touch of a harsh undertone towards BMW's.

Again - just a gut observation and feeling I got from the tone of his writing. Not saying that's right or wrong - he just doesn't sound totally objective all the time. Borderline sarcastic at times. Then again, I'm a bit biased. I'd be anxious to hear what others think.

All the other stories, though... about the FJR... and the amazing tours with a breakdown of where to stop and where to stay is really great. I found myself reading the entire issue cover-to-cover.

Yeeha! Stephen

After Cody & the National, I'm gonna make a run up to Glacier NP. I'm using Kalispell MT as base. How timely! There's a story on that town too, along with the Cody article. And, with those neat little tankbag maps.

Oooooooo...... those photos of the Going to the Sun Highway! Oooooooooo!!! Never been, can't wait.

They just got back to me with the club code which saves $5.00 per subscription so I signed up. I'm looking forward to the magazine, looks like a good publication. Thanks again.

Going-to-the-Sun Highway? Like this?

Mt_Oberlin_GTTS.jpg

Mt Oberlin from the west side of Logan Pass

and this?

GardenPath-GTTS.jpg

The Garden Wall - Glacier National Park.

Although the GTTS Highway is impressive, and the scenery awesome, it isn't a very good "ride" unless you can go in off peak hours. Way too much traffic. But don't worry, you'll understand why everyone is stopping so often smile.gif

Mike Cassidy

Yeeha! Stephen

Hey Mike,

What are the off peak hours?

Miss Vicki and I are only going to have one day to ride through the park, so do we need to get there early in the AM or wait till late in the evening? We're riding in to Kalispell one day, overnighting, have the next day to ride through the park, back to K and overnighting and then back to Cody to put Miss Vicki on a plane. We're going for the scenery, so does it matter? I like sunrises better than I like sunsets. Never been farther North than Yellowstone, so advice will be taken... tongue.gif

TIA

Stephen:

Mid July sunrise is at 05:30 and sunset 21:00. Sunrise over Lake MacDonald would be quite something, and it would probably be climbing over the mountains to the east between 6 and 7. Of course the morning color would be on the east side of Logan Pass, especially in the St Mary Lake or Swiftcurrent Lake valleys. Maybe you should stay on the east side the night before instead? Imagine looking out your window from the Many Glacier Hotel and seeing the sunrise on this view of Swiftcurrent Lake .

Anyway, the traffic crawls along starting when the campgrounds empty out at 9am and goes until the supper hour. If you are staying in Kalispell, I would probably try to leave by 7am and head more or less straight up to Logan Pass. Dress well, because it will be around 40F at that time of day at Logan Pass. Take the short walk (1.5 miles and 460ft elevation gain) to the Hidden Lake viewpoint from the Logan Pass parking lot. Then get back on the bike and head east to the viewpoints for Jackson Glacier and Wild Goose Island / St Mary Lake from the overlook marked on the road. Then I would head to either the Many Glacier Hotel or Glacier Park Lodge for lunch. Don't be in a hurry to get back, because the traffic will be pretty heavy at this point - you may not even be able to find a parking spot at the Logan Pass Visitor Center. Wander back, enjoying the views from the other direction. If you then want to catch sunset at Lake MacDonald, go all the way to Apgar and kick around there for a while. There are smaller, very casual places to eat or grab a beer in Apgar and West Glacier.

Then, you only have the 30 minute ride to get back to Kalispell - but watch for deer and drunks 'cause everyone is on holiday and out to enjoy themselves.

Mike Cassidy

Jim VonBaden
Have you seen this relatively new magazine called Roadrunner? OK maybe it isn't that new - but it's new to me.

I got my first issue yesterday, and even with the big Yellow Goldwing on the cover wink.gif I was impressed with it. Great pictures great motorcycle tours, articles, and in the new issue, they even give you some tankbag maps for different trips.

Anyways - in this new issue, there is a write-up on a ride around the Northwestern / Cody Wymonig area - and since the upcoming UNRally is there.... smile.gif

Their website is www.rrmotorcycling.com

I have been getting it since the first issue last year. I love the writing in it, and the pictures are incredible. They cover some great riding areas as well. It is definitely my favorite magazine!

I never noticed a bias towards, or against, and make of motorcycle.

Jim cool.gif

Archived