IGNORED

Down not Out - lineareagle - clipped wings responds.

Lineareagle

Lineareagle

Well, here is the report of the accident and ensuing story line to complete the thread.

I left Ely NV at about 6:30 and progressed on the next stage of the journey which would have

seen me transitioning from high desert to the Sierras and on into the foothills of California, perhaps

as far as Redding, although that would have precluded any major sight seeing on the route.

My first fuel stop was to be Austin, NV and 24 miles outside the town I was climbing the hills

on sweepers and running between 55 and 65 mph.

I was well into the turn on a good sight line, I always try to stay on my side of the lane line out of habit

and I believe safe motorcycling.

Of course I have no actual knowledge of what my speed actually was just that it was comfortable

and I was ready to start accelerating out of the corner, when I noticed a covering of light sand on the

road surface and my line degrading significantly.

Salvation was in straightening out and riding into a hill, or holding the line and hoping for traction.

I chose the latter.

It wasn't working and I saw heavy windrows of sand on the edge of the road and knew I was done for.

The bike went down quickly, I felt my leg snap, took a good solid whack on the right rear of my helmet

and next thing I knew I was rolling onto my knees and hands doing a self check on all systems.

Hope springs eternal and I felt good until I flexed my left calf and something was not right, broken for sure, shit.

Rolled back onto my back and waited. About 3 minutes until I heard someone ask if I was all right.

Nope, broken leg.

Can I help?

Sure could you gather up my bags and bring me my tank bag?

Several minutes of instruction resulted in my bags arranged around me.

I took out my camera and took this picture of the bike when I heard a laugh.

149464100-M.jpg

The local sheriff had just arrived, asked how I was and asked if I wanted him to take some pics.

Sure.

Here are his photos.

149464252-M.jpg

149464415-M.jpg

He asked what happened and I told him and he said he was a rider and if we didn't get my suit off

EMS would cut it off, so he helped me out of my suit.

When EMS arrived the main man was also a rider and after checking me out told me he would try and save my boots

and so was able to gently remove them.

They loaded me, all my gear into the ambulance and off we went.

2 hours later we arrived in Fallon NV and were greeted by very competent staff.

After x-rays, catheter, sissors cutting off pants the surgeon called the air ambulance to take me to Reno as he said

he could not help me.

All my gear was left in Fallon except my cell phone and laptop - which I hoped had survived.

30 minutes in the air brought me to Renown Medical Center.

More CT scans, and assessment.

One of the nurses, a heavily tattoed fairly rough looking dude asked where my bike and gear were.

I explained that I had no idea were the bike was but someone gave me the name of the towing company.

Off he went, pretty soon he was back. "Its in Battle Mountain."

"I am going to give you some pain meds", he said, "but first i want to ask, do you want me to pick it up and keep it at my place?"

OK, tattoo's, etc etc, vulnerable patient, soon to be drugged. Hmmm

But I had watched his interaction with the other staff, he was respected, he was asked for advise. Good enough for me. Sure.

Well to make a fascinating story short.

Tim T RN in the ER of the Renown Medical Center, a 'Harley' rider to boot!

Arranged for the payment of the towing fee, arranged to pick up the bike, arranged to pick up my gear at the other hospital, twice.

Delivered the bike to Sierra, after talking to John and brought all my gear up to my room.

What a neat guy. Thanks Tim T.

Of course we know my wife, knowing only the tales I told of how great the board was, posted on the MOA, not knowing that I was more active on the ST.

But our own intrepid 'boney' saw it and passed on to you all.

Very shortly I was indeed being helped in so many ways by all, see this thread.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...1&fpart=1

John and Jean, Mike came and visited as did my nephew from San Jose

149472531-M.jpg

I am afraid I was not up for partying, but I was enjoying the company immensely!

149472714-M.jpg

THE REST of THE STORY

1. Absolutely nothing was missing from my gear.

2. Here's the bike at Sierra.

149472426-M.jpg

Anybody think it is worth 12.6 K - the repair estimate?

3. The members of the board are awsome. Thanks to everyone who called, helped and just thought about my families and my sitution.

Keep the rubber side down, take nothing for granted, enjoy the ride and smile in the wind for me!

It will be awhile before I'll be up in the saddle again.

Firefight911

What an awesome story!!! Well, all excepting the broken leg part!!

Get better soon Bruce. Looking forward to hearing, in the great words of Paul Harvey, "the rest of the story."

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

SageRider

True biker...

Leg's broke, but got to have photos...

Glad you were not more seriously injured.

Hope to see you back on a bike soon.

wave.gif

(and yea, the bike's definitely twisted!)

Wow.

You got a lot of great help all the way around the entire event. That's fantastic.

I really hate seeing rider and bike separated especially after being there myself way too many times.

Heal up good and sound now you hear! thumbsup.gif

outpost22

Your accident description has always been my nightmare (gravel/sand on the road).

Glad you survived with "only" a broken leg. Sorry about the bike, but there are a lot more of them out there than there are of you, so defintely replaceable.

Can you tell us how well your gear held up and what you were wearing?

Lineareagle
Your accident description has always been my nightmare (gravel/sand on the road).

Mine Too! We are right!

Glad you survived with "only" a broken leg. Sorry about the bike, but there are a lot more of them out there than there are of you, so defintely replaceable.

Can you tell us how well your gear held up and what you were wearing?

I was wearing and Aerostich full suit with back protection, Shuberth helmet, leather gloves and Sid touring boots.

The suit looks used, the helmet took a good hit and is scratched, boots and gloves are used well as well.

Interesting that the auto insurance company - State Farm immediately told me, "Your helmet is replaced by us, other gear repaired if possible or replaced."

Nice to see recognition that a helmet is a use once and throw away item.

Except for the rotational fracture of the lower leg and a bruise on the inside of my thigh, I have NO other injuries.

Personally glad that the bones broke and the knee and ankle were spared.

The bike must have flipped as the major damage is on the right side not the left.

Oh there was talk before about lap tops and bikes. I am happy to say that I am right now typing on my IBM T40 which was in the top box in a BMW bag wrapped in a pair of jeans and a towel.

True there are a few dead pixels but nothing else and that case was basically destroyed in the crash! grin.gif

AdventurePoser

Bruce,

What an amazing story of people coming together to help! I am so glad you are reasonably OK. I hope you are back on the road sooner rather than later...

Steve

BTW, were you WB on US 50 when this happened? Jennifer and I went through there in our Honda Odyssey and we both commented on how much sand was in the apexes... blush.gif

Lineareagle

That would be the highway alright.

The LEO said that three bikes had gone down on that stretch so far this year!

It had snowed the night before and they had sanded the curves.Of course by 10AM everything LOOKed OK and dry.

Well it was dry. Very dry.

Louise and I really enjoyed meetin you.

I'm glad your gonna be okay.

This board is a great place to be while your healing.

Don't be afraid to start a few thread to help pass the time...

Some suggestions...

Gun Laws in Canada vs US.

Radar detector laws...Canada vs US

Health care in Canada vs US...

Why Killer won't visit Canada???????????

Why Canadian oil is better for your bike than the stuff we buy in the US.

French people vs normal people......just kidding I love crepes lmao.gif

Whip

Carnadero

Ugh. I'm barely getting over a bug I caught last week, but after seeing those pics, I genuinely feel ill again. Hearing that fellow rider went down is always a difficult thing, but seeing the evidence....

Good to see that you came out of it with minimal bodily damage.

Bob Palin

Glad you are recovering, pity about those new tyres...

I'm going to be riding US50 across that route on Monday, think I may be a little careful.

Ben_Ricci

This is a wonderful story brought about by a bad situation: (1) Glad you're rebounding with a recoverable physical setback and with a great, great attitude; and (2), the folks here (and the MOA board) have blown me away with their desire, generosity and ability to rapidly help a fellow rider--and now I'll include the sheriff and hospital staff. But sorry to see your bike in such bad shape.

If more of the world behaved like this...

Glad it wasn't worse.

I may be riding in that area this summer.

Hopefully the snow treatment will have ended by then.

That is truly something I have no frame of reference for and would not be thinking of. dopeslap.gif

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. wave.gif

flyingreg

Speaking with you in the hospital and knowing you had plenty of help there making things easier for you was good. I'll now have to wait to meet you in person. Mend well and mend quickly. See you at one of our gatherings, I'm sure. And, no, the bike doesn't look worth 12.6K to repair. tongue.gif Time for a 12RT, eh? thumbsup.gif

roydog007

Bruce, Wish your ride tale had a better ending.

After crap my leg is broken, "Where's my Camera" might not have been my next thought.

Nice ride tale, Heal up soon thumbsup.gif

Man, those photos are hard to look at....hate to hear let alone see photos of any one that has gone down. So glad that your on the mend. Years ago, my grandpa said; "girl, you get right back up in that saddle" after getting kicked off my green-broke mare. Years later had the same experience after totaling my week old bike (high-side). Hope your able to get back in that saddle as soon as ya can and keep enjoying the ride.

BereIsland

Your very brave, don't know if I would have been thinking of my camera, hope everything turns out good for you

Steve

Slyder_Steve

Bruce,

Glad you're okay--tough to see photos like that. Reminds me of a certain Texas Hill Country road.

Slyder

marcopolo

Great story about the nurse arranging to get your bike etc. One helluva guy, I'd say.

Mend well. You'll know you're on the road to recovery when you start thinking about your next bike.

Thanks for sharing. In so many ways this type of post is beneficial to me.

It's a reminder:

That life happens only once.

To wear gear.

There are good people out there

Ride with passion, but don't take it for granted.

At the end of the day it's only a bike.

Those who are "bikers" are a community among themselves.

No amount of experience or preparation can prevent an accident.

Glad to read that you're on the mend.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Wooster

BTW photography immeadiately after crashing says lots about COOL.

Great story about the nurse arranging to get your bike etc. One helluva guy, I'd say.

Mend well. You'll know you're on the road to recovery when you start thinking about your next bike.

That nurse ought to get a special invite to Torrey..Maybe in September when, hopefully, Lineareagle will be there on his new (insert bike of choice)...He deserves a logoed t-shirt at least...... thumbsup.gif

Great story.........

Phil............Redbrick

Francois_Dumas

French people vs normal people......just kidding I love crepes lmao.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark !! tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Wow, scary accident.... and great response.

Actually, it is what made me decide to try and set up some sort of 'help network' in Europe, just for cases like these...

Hope you'll be back riding soon !! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Volfan615

Get well quick! It's great to hear the stories of people like Tim T and the others from this board that stepped up to help you out. thumbsup.gif

Wow, I got sweaty palms reading your tale.

As a Canuck heading for Torrey next week, I'm intersted in what extra medical insurance you carried, and how they treated you.

Take care,

Hey Bruce, glad you made out as well as you did. Thanks for the report and pictures. Shows something about your frame of mind to take pictures, gotta remember that next "adventure".

"Adventures really suck at the time".

When I saw the post last weekend, I figured the only one I could help was your wife (since I was in Vancouver at the time).

Heal up, come visit on 4 wheels if you have to. Maybe I'll let you ride pillon over the Highwood Pass next month when it opens wink.gif

Mike Cassidy

BeniciaRT_GT

Great write up, and thanks for thinking about the rest of us in the middle of a painful (emotional and physical) incident, and and taking pictures to share a potential educational opportunity with the rest of us.

Glad all is well on its way to healing and thanks for giving us a reminder of how many good folks are out there that really do take care of "their own."

Great story. Sorry about your leg. In a few months you'll be back riding and time erases pain and bad memory. I've been there.

Thank Tim T, the ridin' RN, for taking care of our buddy. Nice to know we really are taking care of each other

Bruce, I cannot comment much more than the others already have. We are so glad you are OK. I have been following all the posts since your accident and am thoroughly amazed at the out pouring of our fellow riders. I know your wife must have been frantic due to the distance and her action to post on the board brought fantastic results.

Get better soon and start thinking about the new ride.

All the best. wave.gif

Very glad your OK. Was thru that area almost 2 years ago. You need to send that RN a nice card for taking care of your bike and stuff. Isn't it funny how bikers take care of each other. Don't think that would be the case if it were cages. Heal fast.

Paul_Burkett

It is good to hear that you are OK, other than the leg injury, and the wrecked bike. Things happen, and you seem to be rolling along with the punches quite well, heal quickly and before you know it you'll be back on a bike riding to your hearts content.

John Ferris

Hello Bruce, I E-mailed and sent you a PM.

I have some of your stuff, PM me with your E-mail.

Archived