IGNORED

Is there a "best year" for the R1200RT?

ridesmith

ridesmith

I'm looking at used R1200RTs and wondering if there were any changes made since the 2005 model? Is one year preferred over others for any reason? Thanks for your help.

The servo/power/whatever brakes finally met their demise with the 2007 model. That's a pretty big improvement in my book.

About the only difference in the early 05 and 06 are the addition of reflectors on the side bags.(DOT wanted them) They switched in 05 and all 06. 2007 added tire pressure monitors. They are all about the same.

Rocket_Cowboy

Hazard light button changed between 05 and 06, horns changed between 05 and 06, at some point they stopped providing two keys with the bike ... but I get conflicting info on whether that was mid-05 or 06.

The 07s dropped the servo brakes, add TPM, and also the option for ASC.

John in VA

The 07 is the best year, simply because of the non-power brakes. BMW finally saw the engineering light that simpler can be better, and I'm guessing that their bean-counters are happy, too. The 07 brakes are excellent, but I recently picked up an ultra-low-mileage 06. The 06's R2D2 brake noises and dimming headlight are annoying, but for the $4800 purchase difference I decided I can live with it for a couple of years until a used 07 comes along. The motor is definitely sweet.

Did the bike lose some unsprung weight when it lost the servo brakes? Are the non-servo brakes linked? (Rear brake pedal controls both wheels.)

You can always add an aftermarket TPM. Moreover, the aftermarket models have a display that shows how much air-pressure there is, as well as some other data. (temp etc.)

So... put on your own reflective tape and get a spare key. and then it pretty much boils down to the breaks and ASC.

What is ASC?

ASC is the automatic stability control. It is isn't out yet but can be retro-fitted to existing 2007 RTs. The will retard the power to the rear wheel if you begin to spin it. At least that is what the dealer told us this morning.

Best Year? IMHO Not Yet! The R1200 line is still in the time honored BMW "consumer testing phase". Still too many ongoing problems: final drive, the key security immobilizer, battery drain, linked brakes, can-bus issues, etc. I'll keep watching the "boards" for the fixes. Untill the best year is made I'll stick with the eleven-fity. Yea, I know a little slower but it still starts every time, and the final drive hasn't caught on fire yet. To me that's worth a lot. wave.gif

Cheers

Steve (01 GS)

The biggest difference since 05 is the brakes were improved for 07. That was a good move and if I was looking right now, I would go for the 07 for that reason. However, the R1200RT is WELL put together and it is a great bike! No reason really to wait for anything. I have hit the brakes on my 06 hard enough for the ABS to kick in and it worked just fine for me......The bike is so much fun and has so many aspects that are worth the investment that BMW has not much to do to make it better. I've used the ESA many times and it is a blast to hit the corners and switch to the sport setting and take on the twisties, the gear indicator is great to have, the cruise control is very nice, the wind protection is good, there are absolutely no engine heat issues, the bike is well balanced, not so heavy that the weight is not an issue and it is realitively low on the bike, the low seat is nice for us that are 5'7", the looks of the bike are great with or without the bags, and I could go on and on, but this bike is so well put together that it amazes me that anyone would think that it needs to have the bugs worked out. There aren't any of any significance IMHO. I have owned a bunch of bikes, Harleys, Hondas, Kawis, and this Beemer is the best bike that I have had yet. No bike is perfect and perfect is personal preference. I will take the RT every time! wave.gif

lawnchairboy

oh well, 23k on my nov 05 build, 06 model. None of the above mentioned problems and all fun (except for learning how to do tire changes myself). Dammit, my final drive will probably grenade tomorrow... tongue.gif

Archived