IGNORED

Newbie Wannabe Needs Help

Twisties

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new R1200 RT from a dealer. The bike will be ordered from the distributor, but will be one already in the country (USA). The dealer is asking MSRP plus a doc fee (179 USD) and a handling/assembly fee (459 USD).

What are people's experiences in buying? Should I try to negotiate for less than MSRP, should I pay these fees. When we bought our Suzuki's we got them without fees and for about $600 below MSRP by shopping dealers, but there is only one BMW dealer in Utah.

I would consider going as far as Reno, Las Vegas, Denver, or Idaho. This adds a number of dealers, but if it's going to be the same everywhere it's not worth my time calling around.

Any advice appreciated.

bakerzdosen

Try calling Grand Junction (the next closest dealer to me, though it could be a toss up for you if you're in SLC). They have an RT in stock right now (well, OK, last week) and it didn't seem to be MSRP - but possibly because it's an '06. The parts guy in GJ asked me flat out why so many people from Utah seem to be coming their way as of late. He said that it used to be that people from GJ would go to SLC because they're just a small town BMW shop, but apparently, that has reversed.

I think I'm one of the few that likes Accolade as they really haven't messed anything up for me and were pretty accommodating in the sales process. (Of course, I was taking a bike off their hands that they didn't want any more.)

Generally, unless you're willing to travel to Chicago or L.A., you're gonna be pretty close to MSRP. Not many dealers (apparently) are willing to make deals. Your best bet is probably to negotiate "extras" from Accolade such as the 600 mile service. (In addition to the $500 you get until the end of the month for an '07.)

I don't know anyone on this board who really likes Accolade, so I'm probably their biggest fan here... though all the horror stories are starting to wear on me. But with that said, Ren and Jamie both bent over backwards to help me out, so I personally have had nothing but good experiences with them. Just don't expect them to not make any money from the deal.

AdventurePoser

Welcome to the DB, Twisties! Best of luck on the purchase of your new RT.

I've bought several new BMW motorcycles over the past seven years and my experience has been that the dealer always discounted a bit, or gave me some free goodies. And I suppose the number of new bikes on the local market will make a difference as well.

For me, the other thing was this-why drive all over looking to shave a few dollars off an already exhorbitantly priced machine? For me, building a good relationship with my local dealer was more important than the absolute, rock bottom price.

Just as a side note, I decided last November that the price of a new RT, with T&L and other fees was absolutely more than I wanted to spend. So, I gathered up my patience, which wasn't an easy thing to do, and waited for a great deal on a used one.

I found this one for $13200 with 1,000 miles on it. The dealer gave me a break on my first major service as well.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and the bike.

Good luck.

Steve in So Cal

135788591-M.jpg

Thanks bakerzdosen,

I haven't tried negotiating w/ Accolade yet, and certainly have no bad feelings towards them, but I think I'll cal GJ. We used to live in Durango and love getting back W.CO. whenever we can, I can definitely see a breakin ride through Paonia and back up to Glenwood in the works if I go that way. I'm just looking for some general advice.

Sorry, but I refuse to pay MSRP and adding the other fees on is just adding insult to injury. I offered a fair price for my bike and got several goodies plus the topcase thrown in. Maybe times were harder for the dealers back then, I don't know. Besides, trying to get on the good side of the dealer by paying MSRP doesn't work. THe dealer is still going to charge $75 or more an hour and will be happy to schedule you in for any maintenance you need. If this dealer won't negotiate, I would recommend finding another dealer or buying used. A low mileage bike is the way to go as was mentioned in one of the previous posts.

Steves1150plus50 Thanks for the advice! I agree building a relationship with the local dealer is important, but I think they're going to be very happy to take my service and parts orders for the next several years whether I buy from them or not.

I'm really just interested if people pay all these fees which amount to MSRP+.

To contrast from our Suzuki C-50 purchase, in SLC all the dealers wanted MSRP plus fees, we went 45 miles out of town and got $600 less than MSRP with only a doc fee, a savings of over a thousand, and since we bought his and hers (and are planning to do so again this time although I didn't mention that in the original post) it was a over $2000 dollars, or almost 20%... since C-50's are not exorbinately priced cool.gif

Oh forgot, in your post you mention $500 off... I've looked all over BMW website for incentives and didn't find any. What can you tell me about that?

Thanks!

I haven't been able to find a used bike (R 1200 RT w/ cruise control) within 500 miles of here for the last three weeks (that's how long I've been looking). I did see one in this forum in Illinois and am thinking about that too, but that is pretty far. I can do the surrounding States on a weekend, but to go to Illinois would take more time, or I'd have to have it shipped. I'd really like to find a used one nearby, but I think I'll go new if I can't.

Try Little Rock.. I heard 17,800 for the full boat. Well no radio,who would want one anyway.. Also in Ill. big savings. problem no dealer "friends"

bakerzdosen
Oh forgot, in your post you mention $500 off... I've looked all over BMW website for incentives and didn't find any. What can you tell me about that?

Thanks!

Nope, not $500 off. $500 towards additional "farkles" (aka stuff).

See here.

Firefight911

A little birdie has just shared with me that 4.9% BMW finaning is now available to all bikes.

Don't ask and I won't tell!!! thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
I agree building a relationship with the local dealer is important, but I think they're going to be very happy to take my service and parts orders for the next several years whether I buy from them or not.
For warranty work... sure. For service, either do your own (sorry you just missed our SLC Tech Daze a few weeks ago) or take it to Motorcycle R&R

Ohhhhh, I hadn't heard of them, but my wife says she has been thinking of sending her R-26 there for restoration. Her dad had a BMW shop and they restored it together when she was a teenager. She rode it all through high school and college, but now it has been sitting for a good long while and needs another go at sprucing up, and a bit more. The engine that's in runs, but she has the original serial number engine too and wants to rebuild that... on top of stripping it to the frame and repainting/rechroming, all new rubber, recondition tank, etc. If we buy R 1200 RTs though I think the R26 may need to wait a while.

We do all our maintianance on our Suzukis, and we may do so on the Beemers after warranty. But we are not up for major mechanical.

AdventurePoser
Steves1150plus50 Thanks for the advice! I agree building a relationship with the local dealer is important, but I think they're going to be very happy to take my service and parts orders for the next several years whether I buy from them or not.

I'm really just interested if people pay all these fees which amount to MSRP+.

To contrast from our Suzuki C-50 purchase, in SLC all the dealers wanted MSRP plus fees, we went 45 miles out of town and got $600 less than MSRP with only a doc fee, a savings of over a thousand, and since we bought his and hers (and are planning to do so again this time although I didn't mention that in the original post) it was a over $2000 dollars, or almost 20%... since C-50's are not exorbinately priced cool.gif

As I recall, on my last new RT the dealer took off the fees and gave me a top case.

Steve in So Cal

Twisties.

New and Used bike prices are negotiable, tell the dealer what you what your goals are and see if they can get you there... and be reasonable with your goal.

Steve makes an awesome point. I'd first try establishing a relationship with your local dealer and see what they're willing to do to earn your business. Believe me, buying your bike through them and then continuing your patronage with them will actually benefit you in the end. Sure, you can buy your bike elsewhere and take it local for your service... but sometimes you end up losing an edge of 'priority' or 'extra special service' that happens when you're known from the front of the dealership to the back.

As a former BMW Motorcycle sales manager - I know it's much easier for a Sales Manager to walk into service and help you get through a tough problem... if I know who you are and that you've bought a bike from me. My closing line to all customers, after they bought the bike, and after I've spend an hour reviewing everything with them... they're ready to hop on their new machine and I say, "Now, this is the beginning of our relationship... it does not end here, like in many other industries, you've paid for your bike, and I'm motivated to make sure you're happy and come back for more". Selling the bikes is the easy part, making sure they're happy with each visit is key and after I've earned their business is when I put more work into that customer.

Just remember - they are a business that you want to be able to rely upon in the years to come. Every area, region, city has different costs to make the business work - in addition to the regular "industry costs" that are attached to every sale, service, etc. Your sale will help your local employees, helping through the good times (spring/summer) helps them get through the bad times easier (winter). Every year we lose dealers... it's not an easy business - but it's an easy business to lose in a very short amount of time. I don't know your dealer well, so everything I say is in my general terms.

When a customer comes in and needs special help and they've bought a bike from me... you know I'm there to get you through the process quickly.

NOW... if you've provided your local dealer the opportunity to "EARN" your business and they didn't engage you... then all the things I said above are null and void.

Hope this helps... and most of all... have a great time on your new ride.

Keep MAC's cycle in mind here Lewiston Idaho..they're a good dealer and occaisonally gets used stuff in..I bought my R1100RT there and i felt I got a good deal ..it's not really too far for ya either.

Cheers

strat

Thanks for all of your help. We bought his and hers R 1200 RT's today! His beige, hers blue.

We think we did ok, but then doesn't everyone that buys a new vehicle? grin.gif

We paid MSRP plus a moderate doc fee, but they included 600 mile services, waived their "handling" fee, swapped out the high heated seat for a low heated seat on hers, and of course we still get the $500 in free accessories from BMW. Got engine guards so far.

Perhaps we could have gotten them down a bit more, we really didn't try for more. Based on all your responses we felt the deal was "reasonable".

So far the dealer, Accolade in SLC was easy to work with.

My wife rode the F 800 S (she was interested in the F 800 ST, but their demo bike was the S. Similar enough to get the feel), and I rode a K 1200 GT. I really preferred the RT for the more upright ride, less whiny sound, and it seems (maybe I'm crazy) less busy to ride. Seems like I don't shift as much on the RT. I also thought the clutch was even harder on the GT than RT, and the RT already is much harder than on my Suzuki. On the other hand, much better rear view mirrors on the GT. The GT is clearly more racy, maybe the engine has less mass, or maybe it's the difference in engine form factor, but it sure revs up fast. Still, just not what I was looking for, wanted more tour and less sport.

My wife, 5'2", was a little nervous of the RT. She rode both bikes with the low seat (men may want to watch out for the low seats, particularly on the F bike ooo.gif). Although the RT is something like a half an inch lower than F with the low seats on each, the RT forces a wider stance and she was actually able to put more foot down on the F, and also of course it is 20% lighter.

After we had her sit on the RT for a while, showed her she could scootch over a bit, to get a foot down flat, and tried to shake her off of it to show her she really could control it, she finally took it out. Mostly I think because she really wanted it bad. Once she rode it, there was no question at all, none.

She should have hers within a week, me in a couple of weeks. Memorial Day weekend is sounding like a ride!

bakerzdosen

Congrats!

I'm glad everything worked out well with Accolade (BMW of SLC for those not "in the know").

Wow... 5'2" on an RT. That is impressive.

As to your first real ride... You are aware of the Torrey event coming up in two weeks - right? If you guys can make it down there for that, (even if you just have one of the bikes by then) you won't regret it. Just go over to the Ride Planning part of the site and look at the Torrey threads for more info. It's one of the most popular events we have. It's not a rally per se, but just a gathering in a great place to ride. You'll probably want to get the 600 miler done before then if you can, but beyond that... come on down.

Again, congrats.

bakersdozen,

Thanks for the invite! We had indeed found the event board and the immense Torrey threads on the forum.

We've taken our cruisers down to Torrey before, and even stayed in the Chuckwagon, so we were pretty amazed and excited to see you folks do a twice a year ride there.

I don't think we'll make May. We'll try if we get the bikes in time to break them in and have the 600 mile service done, but I think that is a long shot. I suppose we could ride the cruisers, but we have them all cleaned up for sale, and frankly you get pretty beat up on a ride that long on them. Also, they won't hang with sport tourers. We proved that last weekend when I rented an RT from Eaglerider, and my wife followed on her Suzuki. I had to keep stopping and waiting for her.

We're thinking about September, unfortunately (did I just say unfortunately?crazy.gif) we have tickets to Italy for the following week. It will be our first time in Europe. We may still be able to make the Torrey ride then, but it will be tight. I'd hate to wait until next May, but realistically, that's how it's looking.

My wife is talking shaved/modified seats, maybe thicker soles on her shoes. She's talking, but so far as I can tell she plans to be riding before any of that is done.

bakerzdosen

Too bad. We'll to "Oh and Ah" about your bikes some other time then. smile.gif

This page gives a couple of helpful hints on "riding while vertically challenged." Dunno if it'll help or not, but hey... (Sounds like she's got most of the bases covered.)

Good luck. Post back with ride tales.

My wife is talking shaved/modified seats, maybe thicker soles on her shoes. She's talking, but so far as I can tell she plans to be riding before any of that is done.

Attached pic is of the boots I wear so I can flat foot my 07 RT. smile.gif

854997-boots.JPG.f76e65e33a92feb73619bd1e0a9949e3.JPG

Attached pic is of the boots I wear so I can flat foot my 07 RT.

Sweeeet!! But my wife is 5'2", not 2'5", sorry, couldn't resist. wink.gif. Those are some monster shoes and it is very helpful to see them since my wife is concerned about being able to use the shift peg and brake with a lift added on. Apparently you are making them work! Way to go!

Attached pic is of the boots I wear so I can flat foot my 07 RT.

Sweeeet!! But my wife is 5'2", not 2'5", sorry, couldn't resist. wink.gif. Those are some monster shoes and it is very helpful to see them since my wife is concerned about being able to use the shift peg and brake with a lift added on. Apparently you are making them work! Way to go!

Hey now! I'm 5'2.5" but claim 5'3". I shift with the side of the boot. Works like a charm. I'm about to order a mayer seat so will likely be on my toes again when I get that. A girl hasta do what a girl has to do.

Oh, I already have my sand beige. neener, neener lmao.gif

Yes, yes, you do have your '07 Sand Beige, but mine will be newer forever and ever and ever.....lmao.gif

Yeah, all right, I had noticed that yours was the same year and color and that you already had it. I fully admit to being duly jealous, completely envious, and entirely depressed even before you so deservedly rubbed it in.

I have about two weeks to wait for mine, and the weather is getting nice. bncry.gif

When did you get yours, and I guess I needn't ask if you are enjoying it?

I had one on rental for a day and found that I accidentally shifted with the side of my foot fairly often. I wondered why the peg was so short (compared to my Suzuki, the only other bike I've had). Now that you mention it, I wonder if it isn't intended to be used that way. It certainly works well enough.

I've had mine for a couple of months but haven't had much time to ride due to school. Of course now that I'm getting a break between semesters (also working full time) we're getting monsoon rains. I did get an awesome ride out to big bend in. It was a totally different bike once I got beyond the break in limitations. I love it. The big bend trip was enough to convince me that I need an aftermarket seat. The low seat durn near killed me. Although I've heard folks talk about putting the seat up a notch or two and it being more comfortable. I'm gonna try that but will probably still go with a Rick Mayer saddle.

It will be worth the wait I promise. smile.gif

Archived