IGNORED

Moving to the US with my R1100S - Trobles

fabchi

I'm moving to the US from Italy for good and I'd like to bring my motorcycle with me. It's a BMW R1100S, but the carrier says that the US customs are very strict about regulations and requirements and many times they send back the bikes they don't have the specs that I can't find anywhere.

Nobody is able to help me. I asked BMW, but obviously they can't help, I guess they are not interested in it.

Does anybody have any idea or infos to try to be able to bring my bike with me?

Paul Mihalka

It is almost impossible to bring a non-USA specification bike permanently to the USA. Simply if it does not say USA version and is in the right VIN range, they won't let it in. Some bikes have slipped through by inattention of burocrats, and others had to be re-exported to Europe. It is best to sell it and buy one over here.

You may just want to sell your bike where you are.

The strength of the Euro over the US Dollar will put more money in your pocket at the end of the day.

You then can just buy a replacement bike when you get here.

There are lots to choose from.

You will save yourself a lot of headaches.

You may just want to sell your bike where you are.

The strength of the Euro over the US Dollar will put more money in your pocket at the end of the day.

You then can just buy a replacement bike when you get her

There are lots to choose from.

You will save yourself a lot of headaches.

+1

I tried to bring an R80GS into the US from Canada. Wasn't worth the amazing hassle. BMW Canada - nice folks - couldn't give me any help because bike was originally sold in South Africa, and they couldn't understand how anyone had managed to get it into Canada.

Picking up a nice used R11S here will be a no brainer.

FlyingFinn

All the above (practically impossible to import a non-US bike) is certainly tru when a US citizen tries to import a vehicle from abroad.

But I think it's an entirely different story if a personal vehicle is imported as a part of a "move" into United States.

About 8 years ago a friend of mine moved here and brought his car with him from Finland. All the stuff they imported (furniture etc.) was inspected by the customs officer. The inspection of the car included visual check of the normal paperwork (title etc.) and "it seem to have a catalytic converter?" and that's it.

How about the American military forces who come back from a long term over-seas assignment? I understand those boys and girls import personal vehicles without much difficulty.

--

Mikko

Thank you all guys, for the attention you give to my problem.

I would be very sorry not to bring my bike with me. They don't give me much for the sell over here because they say it has too many kms. But the bike is good. Riders in Italy are becoming like fashion shoppers.

Anyway, I am filling a container with my stuff, and there would be room, my wife is American, so there might be less controls.

Carlos, a reader of this forum, wrote some suggestions and said that if I change the speedometer I might have success. Now the problem would be to find a used speedometer in a reasonable time and price.

dopeslap.gif

brennaman

How about the American military forces who come back from a long term over-seas assignment? I understand those boys and girls import personal vehicles without much difficulty.

Military used to take vehicles back from overseas with little trouble, but that was 30 years ago. Now the vehicles they are bringing back were bought over there, and it is US spec., or was previously shipped overseas and had started out US spec. All of the major bases overseas sell US spec. cars and bikes. Anymore, the expense to convert, and all of the work to make it US spec., makes it not worth it.

Here is some contact info.

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S. If it is not brought into compliance, it can not remain in the U.S. and it must be exported or destroyed. For example, if the motorcycle you intend to import is a Harley Davidson, many of those bikes were exported for sale in a foreign country and do not conform to U.S. standards. The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements. You can get a copy of this manual, entitled the Automotive Imports Facts Manual,(order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100. From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry and the EPA Form 3520-1 and the DOT form HS-7 must be submitted to CBP to receive the Entry Summary document CBP Form 7501. You will need this form to register the motorcycle in your state. Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, and the bill of sale. You will be required to pay 1.5% to 2.9% duty, which will be assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

FlyingFinn
I'm moving to the US from Italy for good...

Since you are moving here for good, it really does seem you are out of luck. If it was just a temporary move (like my friend) then you could actually import "anything", ignore all the EPA and DOT bureaucracy and pay no duty.

"Automobiles

Nonresidents/First-time immigrants may temporarily import a vehicle duty-free for personal use if the vehicle is imported in connection with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles do not need to accompany the owner, but should arrive in the U.S. at approximately the same time, at least within a few weeks. If a delay of more than a few weeks should occur the importer must prove that the delay was justified. Vehicles are defined as an automobile, trailer, airplane, motorcycle, boat or similar vehicle. Vehicles that don’t conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the United States. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirement. Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation. Duty must be paid at the most conveniently located Customs office before the sale is completed. Conforming vehicles so imported may remain in the U.S. indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes."

The entire document:

Moving

--

Mikko

Now the problem would be to find a used speedometer in a reasonable time and price.

dopeslap.gif

I do not think this would be difficult. There are a couple of web sites where guys often sell their bikes in pieces after a crash, and parts can be found there at reasonable prices. A new speedo from BMW might also not be that expensive.

Your biggest problem is going to be other issues.

I exported my US-spec Toyota MR2 to Germany for a year (because of a non-military job), then reimported it. Especially at the US end, the hassles and costs were more than I expected.

I would have been better off buying a used car there, then selling it, even if I got a really bad deal on both transactions. And that's what I did, the second time I went there for a year.

It could only be a bigger hassle and more cost it you've got a non-US spec vehicle.

So my suggestion is that you should sell your bike in Italy even if you get a bad deal, and buy another bike in America even if it means yet another bad deal. You'll be better off.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all guys, tomorrow the container will arrive and it'll leave Genova on the 22nd. Without my bike. It's too much trouble to try to move a bike in the US. I also talked with people in Aviano - where the military base is located- that transport vehicles and they told me that if I were an American soldier I could have had the possibility to do it, but no hope otherwise.

All right. I'll get another bike in the US. Hope soon.

Thanks again. wave.gif

Archived