IGNORED

For those of you interested in what lane splitting in LA looks like

OldBoldPilot

OldBoldPilot

What you are about to see is entirely legal in California. Found this posted on a Harley message board I frequent. Don't know what make of bike, though it hardly matters.

Baba_ORiley

Interesting video. Some random thoughts:

1) It may be legal but just looks illegal to new eyes

2) Don't any of the cages ever change lanes on the 405?

3) it really must freak out drivers new to California

4) the driver of the white Chrysler Pacifica driver at about 2:35 into the video appears to not favor lane splitting at all

5) Did the rider's overtaking speed exceed what is generally consider okay for lane splitting? Seemed to be going 20+ mph faster than stopped traffic.

6) I can really see how this would cut commute times

7) What's the point of having HOV lanes on freeways if it's no quicker to use them versus regular lanes?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I don't think this activity would qualify under the legal description of when and how lane splitting is to be conducted, but we'll let the lawyers sort that out.

Looked wreckless to me.

I don't think this activity would qualify under the legal description of when and how lane splitting is to be conducted

+1 on that

Classic LA traffic.

Occasional lanesplitter myself.

The intense focus one must keep to do this successfully, is simply exhausting.

At least I find it intense and exhausting, but that jazz sure makes it seem like a cakewalk. dopeslap.gif

Hence I'm only an " OCCASIONAL " lanesplitter.

yes, it is fast. yes, chryslers do change lanes. yes, it does freak out new drivers but they learn. many times the carpool lane does move faster than other lanes, but merging dampens it somewhat.

I don't think this activity would qualify under the legal description of when and how lane splitting is to be conducted, but we'll let the lawyers sort that out.

Looked wreckless to me.

The rider is abusing the gift of lanesharing just a bit.

1. If you are using the car pool lane you can not leave it (or cross the double yellow) without using the enter exit. That is a violation same as a car or anybody for that matter.

2. The traffic is not technically static enouth to use the privilege.

3. The speed of his forward progression may be a bit high.

4. Excessive lane changing would yield a ticket also.

I only watched the first 40 seconds!

I don't think this activity would qualify under the legal description of when and how lane splitting is to be conducted

There is no law describing "when and how lane splitting is to be conducted." That's why it's not illegal. Of course a whole range of other laws do apply and do result in tickets.

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

THis was copied directly from CHP Answers

What you are about to see is entirely legal in California.
No, it's not, at least as pictured in the video (for the reasons that Tony mentioned.)

Safe lane splitting is legal though, as well it should be.

To be specific.

Nor Cal for the most part has HOV lanes that are time specific and not fully dedicated to HOV marked with white dash lines

So Cal has completely dedicated HOV lanes segmented off with double yellow lines with entrance / exit locations at certain points (marked with white dash lines)

Clear?

ShovelStrokeEd

Didn't see much he did wrong and it was, indeed, "wreckless". Nothing I would classify as reckless though. I do much the same to avoid heavy traffic wherever I find myself.

Yes, California drivers are much less prone to lane changing than the much more aggressive drivers in the north-east or in and around the Houston area for just a couple of examples. Another difference is that the lanes on most major freeways are pretty wide out there and there are lots to choose from. Trust me, I'll take the day on the worst of the Cali freeways to an hour on I-95 through any county in South-east Florida or I-4 in the land of the rat.

Only one time did I ever encounter a LEO out there who took exception to my riding in a very similar manner and that was on the 91 freeway when I was using the little dividing lane between the HOV and the #1 lane as a passing zone. Even there, it was no more than a finger shake and a yell at 70+ telling me "this is not a passing lane". Then he moved on, doing the same as I just did. eek.gif

OldBoldPilot

1. If you are using the car pool lane you can not leave it (or cross the double yellow) without using the enter exit. That is a violation same as a car or anybody for that matter.

All of the above is correct. But with the exception of the issue of entering and leaving the HOV lane only at specified points, it all depends on whether the officer tracking you had a good breakfast or not that morning.

As to the HOV lanes, Orange County (yes, the OC) currently has a proposal on the table to allow vehicles to enter and exit HOV lanes at any point whatsoever. That, if adopted widely, should make things even more interesting (in much the same way that Vietnam was "interesting").

As to the HOV lanes, Orange County (yes, the OC) currently has a proposal on the table to allow vehicles to enter and exit HOV lanes at any point whatsoever. That, if adopted widely, should make things even more interesting (in much the same way that Vietnam was "interesting").

As Tony mentioned, this is how it works up north. Plus, it's how the HOV lanes are actually used down here, so it's more a legalization of existing practise than anything new. I wouldn't expect much change at all...

That scared the crap out of me! I don't have enough faith in my fellow man to trust him to keep in the middle of his own lane so I can have room to get between him and the fellow beside him that I also don't have enough faith in.

If I'm driving my car in bumper to bumper traffic and chose to sneeze and veer in my lane, am I responsible for clipping or cutting off a lane splitter? Do I have to adjust my outside mirrors to check for lane splitters?

Seems to me, in my Southern ignorance, to cause more problems than it fixes. Sort of like the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Motorcycle insurance must be sky high out there.

beemerman2k

This is the only way to get around in Los Angeles. If they made lane splitting against the law, I'd quit riding in LA, except on the weekends to the mountains or something.

Besides, it is far safer to lane split than to sit in that traffic, waiting to be rear ended, by the cars and trucks. I've seen a few incidents while I was there when cars rear ended each other while in heavy traffic. They see traffic go and assume it's going for good, then they start twiddling with the stereo or the cell phone, not realizing that traffic has stopped, and them bump! Right into the car in front of them.

One morning on the 405, I saw a big truck rear end a car that then rear ended 4 more cars! Were a bike on the lane, as opposed to splitting lanes, he would have been crushed.

Oh, and I believe that's Miles Davis playing the music.

While lane splitting or filtering is not illegal here in West Oz, the guy in the clip could be fined for changing lanes without indicating.

He is leaving himself very vulnerable to being hit...

I lane split whenever there is traffic. It's illegal where I ride but I do it anyway. Most of the times, it pisses other drivers a lot but I don't intend sitting in stop-and-go traffic and smelling their fumes on a hot summer dsy. I've had drivers become citizen police and try to chase me down while simultaneously calling the police traffic hotline. To them I say, good luck!

Here's my rules for safe lane splitting:

- Never lane split when traffic speed is in excess of 30 mph. Aggressive lane changes should be possible at those speeds.

- Never lane split at speeds over 40 mph. And while anybody with skills can lane split at over 60mph or more, the risk reward is all risk.

- Observe drivers at least 3-5 cars ahead of you to see whether they see you.

- Watch out for any signs of deliberate blocking or lane changes. I've never encountered anybody opening a door on me , but it's the story of urban legend.

- And the basics: cover the front brake and clutch at all times. Most lane splitting should occur in 1st or 2nd gear powerbands, If you are in 3rd, you are probably violating the 1st or 2nd rule.

- I never turn my indicators on because if there is an accident, I'm screwed wither way.

RT specific tip.

- If your mirrors can lane-split, your saddlebags will NOT be a problem. Don't get the impression that your saddlebags are holding you back.

Lane splitting IS aggressive driving and you need to be 10x times as cautious as regular driving. In regular commuting it is a painful necessity. In 20 years of lane splitting, I've yet to hit somebody or lose a mirror. While I hope to maintain that record, I'm not letting my guard down any time.

Francois_Dumas

Yes, gets extremely boring after that... lmao.giflmao.gif

Somebody mentioned exhaustion. I too find it very tiring. It is allowed in many European countries (although not as excessive as this video is showing - only 10 km/hr speed diff, no lane changing, etc.), I personally do not like doing it. It IS very 'intense' even with (here) less hostile/unaware drivers. There is always ONE at least...... wink.gif

Also, with our broad RT (cases) it makes for a lot less 'easy going' than with a 'regular' bike.

And I find it even MORE taxing with Nina on the back... not for the manoevering, but for the responsibility....

However.... with such traffic jams each tie you near the western part of The Netherlands, no way I am going to sit in my lane for an hour and burn my clutch and finger muscles.... lmao.giflmao.gif

Wow, that's scary. He's clearly going too fast to be safe.

As a frequent traveler on these same LA freeways (in my car), I notice people changing lanes unexpectedly (oops, there's my exit), drifting over into my lane (talking on cell phone), not paying attention (which results in slamming on the brakes and having to dive into another lane to avoid rear-ending the person in front of you) and other scenarios.

When you're splitting lanes at that speed, you have no reaction time to avoid things like that. One day his luck is going to run out.

ShovelStrokeEd

He really isn't going all that fast. The wide angle of the camera lens and the proximity, not very close either, exaggerates the apparent speed differential. There are one or two places where he cuts it a little close but, you will note, when there is a gap, he moves into it. The people who can't seem to even control their cars with sufficient skill to remain in the center of their lane are best left behind anyway. In tight traffic, there is no diving from lane to lane to avoid a rear ender, there is already a car there so that, so called, danger just doesn't exist. Finally, it isn't luck, it is a skill and, like any other, takes practice to attain and maintain. Prime among the skills is the ability to look ahead and read the flow. Try this while concentrating on your mirrors or the cars next to you and you will go splat.

+1 Ed. Couple of thoughts: After Russell told me to look at the hole not the cars and the idea that I'm safer being a (reasonably) moving target, it became easier. (Thx, Russell)

Yes it is mentally "full focus time". I immediately turned any music way down and got busy. It's kinda "Your Moment of Zen" time.

GS mirrors are right at pickup truck mirror height. (Never lost one though, Norah........or two!)

Quite a few people do move to give your more room here. And I ALWAYS waved to thank the obvious ones. Passing on the goodwill.

I miss it everytime I'm stuck in the POS truck in traffic.

+1 on Ed and GelStra.

I think the video has been speeded up in some places. And his bike is way skinnier than a BM. Which makes it much easier to split. In general I think this guy shows a lot of awareness, good lane changes and the right balance of care and speed. I lane split every day on my commute and I likewise wave the cars that make my life easier.

At least in the UK, I've found that I get noticed a lot more (and given more courtesy) since I have been wearing a full Hi-Viz top. Course that may also have something to do with me resembling one of our LEO's...

I'll post a vote for reckless. This kind of riding just doesn't allow enough of a safety margin, particularly with the speed differential between him and everyone else. All it takes is ONE car to change lanes unexpectedly, and he is hurt or killed. Moreover, I'll bet he surprises and irritates a lot of cage drivers, which doesn't help our already-tarnished image.

I have no experience with lane splitting, so my opinion on this topic may not be very credible. Still, this seems like playing with snakes. How many days, weeks, or months of commuting like this before he gets bitten? I'm sure some have beaten the odds, but the stakes are too high for me to play the way he does.

Jay

ShovelStrokeEd

Jay, no offense but,

I have no experience with lane splitting, so my opinion on this topic may not be very credible.

Exactly, and to share the wealth, I include all the others who haven't done it.

Once you gain some experience with it you realize that not only is it not particularly dangerous but, out there in California, it doesn't tarnish the image or surprise folks at all. It is more or less normal and more or less expected.

It is more or less normal and more or less expected.

Case in point: today riding on city streets, as we're coming to a light, the car in front moved to the right and stopped well short of the crosswalk allowing me an easy split to the front and room to spare when the light turned green.

(Quote) How many days, weeks, or months of commuting like this before he gets bitten? (Quote)

I, too, do this everyday. I don't like it and indeed it is exhausting (35 miles each way and I split probably close to 20 of them). However if I didn't, I would be stop and go with the cages and how long would it take for some dolt to rear-end me? That could be as final as a lane-splitting mishap. I'd rather be moving. I won't tell you how many years I've been doing it without a problem...could jinx it (probably already did).

Pete

Jay, no offense but,...

None taken, but it still looks dangerous to me. As someone once said, "I may be wrong but never in doubt". wink.gif

I've driven cages in LA and you quickly get used to the lane splitting. It's the only way for a bike to get around and it helps traffic move. In fact it is encouraged in some countries. The perspective that it looks reckless comes more from a thought of driving in the traffic you're used to, traffic that doesen't allow lane sharing so it looks scary. If I tried to lane split in Minneapolis someone would try to hurt me. People get mad if you switch lanes too closely from there perspective. We'd all be a lot better off on our bikes if all cities allowed it and everyone got used to it. There isn't a day of riding that I don't wish I could lane share.

My criticism, for what its worth, isn't of lane splitting in principle, but of this particular rider's use of the privilege. The repeated swerving, dashing across lanes, and excessive speed all look careless to me. I agree that the perspective of his camera may make it look like he is going faster than he really is, and he may have stepped up his aggression a notch to show off for the camera.

I suppose I will have to just experiment with lane-splitting the next time I am in CA, but I may have to remove those wide RT cases! I will definitely not even try to keep up with this guy though.

Jay

My lane splitting philosophy is quite simple, never lane split faster than you are willing to crash. I lane split up to 30 MPH and that's it. One little tidbit about videotaping yourself lane splitting, the tape could probably used against you in court in the event of an accident.

Cheers!

I've spent a lot of time lane splitting in both Northern and Southern California. It is much safer when the traffic is basically stopped and bumper to bumper. Then the cars are locked in place and it is much less likely a car will decide to change lanes without realizing you are coming through. All of the gaps in the cars shown in the video would be enough to keep me out of the space between lanes. I also concur with the comments about the speed differential shown in the video and apparent illegality of splitting between the HOV lane and the regular lanes.

Bill_Walker

My take:

1) Maybe it was the music, but this guy seemed really smooth to me.

2) He continued splitting after traffic was moving at a reasonable pace and lots of gaps had opened up. I wouldn't have done that.

3) There were a couple of places where the split got too close for _my_ comfort, at least. I really hate splitting between two tall vehicles. Then again, I don't do it on a daily basis.

4) It got real interesting along about 2:40 where the vehicle in the car pool lane came over the line toward the bike.

Disclaimer: I only watched about 4 minutes.

I'll second the "it's exhausting" comment, though I suppose it gets less so with practice. I've done it many times, but the times may be weeks or months apart (I try to avoid LA).

Richr8 wrote:

Looked wreckless to me.

Tony_K wrote:

As Ed already replied, there wasn’t really that much wrong with the riding in the video. Yes, the speed may be a little excessive, but other than that I didn’t see anything really illegal. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as “excessive lane changing” only “unsafe turning movements”. There is also no such thing as “static enough”, I routinely split traffic that is moving at 75+ mph. Furthermore, contrary to an earlier assertion that it is safer to split traffic when the cars are standing still, I personally find it safer when the traffic is flowing at moderate to high speeds (less jockeying for position taking place). As for going in an out of the carpool lane, it is debatable whether or not this is illegal. VC 21714(a)-(b)(2) basically states that a motorcycle is allowed to ride on or across lane markings delineating adjacent traffic lanes. It is arguable that this also applies to the markings separating the carpool lane from the #1 lane.

What disturbed me the most in the video was the rider’s apparent lack of ever checking his blind spot. It appeared to be a helmet cam, which never looked anywhere but straight forward. If you shoot across multiple lanes in heavy traffic, without checking your blind spot, you’re asking to get creamed by another rider whose also splitting traffic.

My $.02.eek.gif

I routinely split traffic that is moving at 75+ mph.
That action does not fall under the heading of 'lane sharing' and I can't believe that any California LEO or court would consider it legal. Nor would I want to test the theory that motorcycles can simply ignore HOV yellow-line lane markings in front of a judge. Let me know how that one goes.

I'm not trying to shake my finger and I'm hardly Mr. Law And Order myself, but c'mon guys...

SteveSardone

I'm just jealous-if I did that in north texas traffic the cagers would make it their mission to take me out. coming home from Austin yesterday an 18 wheeler pulled over to block me from passing and then blew his horn when I went by-my opinion they are the pigs of the road.(sore subject):)

russell_bynum

As Tony mentioned, this is how it works up north. Plus, it's how the HOV lanes are actually used down here, so it's more a legalization of existing practise than anything new. I wouldn't expect much change at all...

<hijack>

When I moved to CA, I first moved to the Bay Area. I thought the "open" carpool lanes were stupid and pointless because people could/would/did dive in and out at will, and the merge slowdown, plus the fact that you couldn't go as fast because if you did, some jackass would dive in front of you at 5mph when you're trying to go 70mph.

Then I moved to SoCal and saw the carpool lanes setup with limited entrance/exit points. Yes...some people jump the line, but for the most part, people don't violate the double-double yellow. The lanes flow much better, and the jackass who tries to merge with a 70mph HOV lane while he's going 5mph is the exception, not the rule.

IMO, changing the carpool lanes from something that works to something that doesn't work is just one more clear example of cranial-rectumitis on the part of Caltrans.

</hijack>

Avi, I can't believe you have the nerve to do that in NJ, the lanes have to some of the narrowest in the country. I wouldn't trust drivers who are not used to lane splitting no way, no how !

EL-SQUISH-O, WATCH OUT BUB !!

russell_bynum

BTW,

I thought the pace was a hair fast in a few places, but overall, he (she?) was doing fine. Lane changes were logical, and the rider did a good job watching up ahead to make the lane change before actually getting boxed in.

The thing that bugs me about splitting in Cali is the grey area in how the law is enforced. I had one guy scream at me on his loudspeaker because I wasn't signaling my lane changes. I was going 10mph (maybe) in stopped traffic and was gradually moving from one side of the dashed line to the other...whatever I needed to do to maximize clearance. Signaling that sort of thing just doesn't make any sense. Technically, yes...I legally should have signaled, but it didn't make any sense to do so, so I didn't.

Likewise, the gap that often exists between the carpoool lane and the slow lane...technically you can't ride there. But that's stupid. It's a big wide area and is by far the safest place to be. Most LEO's realize this and don't care. Some act like you were just caught doing wheelies through a school zone while tossing meth candy to the 2nd graders. confused.gif

The thing that bugs me about splitting in Cali is the grey area in how the law is enforced. I had one guy scream at me on his loudspeaker because I wasn't signaling my lane changes. I was going 10mph (maybe) in stopped traffic and was gradually moving from one side of the dashed line to the other...whatever I needed to do to maximize clearance. Signaling that sort of thing just doesn't make any sense. Technically, yes...I legally should have signaled, but it didn't make any sense to do so, so I didn't.

Likewise, the gap that often exists between the carpoool lane and the slow lane...technically you can't ride there. But that's stupid. It's a big wide area and is by far the safest place to be. Most LEO's realize this and don't care. Some act like you were just caught doing wheelies through a school zone while tossing meth candy to the 2nd graders. confused.gif

I can guarantee that many LEO's are not familiar with VC 21714, as it is an obscure code which applies only to motorcycles and trikes. Many LEOs, especially non-CHP officers, riding on the freeways in SoCal have little reason to study up on all the laws that pertain strictly to freeway travel. As such they sometimes erroneously apply the laws that they do know and use on city streets on the freeway.

You should have asked the officer that yelled at you which turn signal you should be using if you're riding on top of the lane markings... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

There are some very skillful and brave riders.

I'd have to be blindfolded to ride on the back.

Here in Minnesota, cage drivers would make him a 2 dimensional object in about a half mile.....

Nor would I want to test the theory that motorcycles can simply ignore HOV yellow-line lane markings in front of a judge. Let me know how that one goes.

Same here.

Bill_Walker
I routinely split traffic that is moving at 75+ mph.
That action does not fall under the heading of 'lane sharing' and I can't believe that any California LEO or court would consider it legal. Nor would I want to test the theory that motorcycles can simply ignore HOV yellow-line lane markings in front of a judge. Let me know how that one goes.

I'm not trying to shake my finger and I'm hardly Mr. Law And Order myself, but c'mon guys...

Umm, Seth, you did notice that the guy who said this is a LEO, right? The "work bike" in his sig is an RT-P. He didn't say WE should split at 75+.

Umm, Seth, you did notice that the guy who said this is a LEO, right? The "work bike" in his sig is an RT-P. He didn't say WE should split at 75+.
No, I didn't notice that. blush.gif But considering his point of view if I end up with a LEO behind me while lane splitting at 75 mph then I guess he is the guy I want! That way during my stop I can say that while yes, I was riding between traffic at 10-20 mph over the limit and ignoring the yellow lines... it was safe. grin.gif
Baba_ORiley
...an 18 wheeler pulled over to block me from passing and then blew his horn when I went by-my opinion they are the pigs of the road.(sore subject):)

I second that opinion.

ShovelStrokeEd

Funny that, last time I was out to visit with Jamie and Leslie, and it has been waaay to long, I did a little creative interpretation of the lane sharing rule. Probably running about 20 over, all the cages were at 10 over, and I finally got to the off-ramp I wanted. Never bothered with the brakes as it merged into another freeway so I just railed it. Who comes around me on the outside? On the off ramp no less. LEO on another BMW, I was on my GS Adv, gives me a little wave and rails it up to 100 or so to merge into the new traffic pattern.

I would have to say that 90% or maybe more of the motors out there are pretty savvy about what it takes to ride in traffic and understand the difference between managing said traffic and reckless driving. Remember, these guys do it all day, every day, and on a bike with crash bars that can easily hook a bumper. Takes 'em about 10 seconds to make an evaluation of you as a rider and, if you show them you are more interested in your survival than just blindly following some arbitrary rules, they will cut you an enormous amount ot slack. Gotta think that Sock Monkey flapping her arms back on the rack helped more than a little as well.

VC 21714(a)-(b)(2) basically states that a motorcycle is allowed to ride on or across lane markings delineating adjacent traffic lanes.

This is a bit of a hijack, but could you explain how you came to that interpretation? Here's VC 21714, which I read as saying that a big trike can't split lanes or use the carpool lane. And here's 27803 defining what a big trike/three-wheeler is.

Thanks.

MotorinLA
VC 21714(a)-(b)(2) basically states that a motorcycle is allowed to ride on or across lane markings delineating adjacent traffic lanes.

This is a bit of a hijack, but could you explain how you came to that interpretation? Here's VC 21714, which I read as saying that a big trike can't split lanes or use the carpool lane. And here's 27803 defining what a big trike/three-wheeler is.

Thanks.

NP

The heading of VC 21714:

”Motorcyclists and motorized bicyclists; operation of vehicles; prohibited areas”

Thus, the section applies to motorcycles per the heading of the section.

Cont.

The driver of a vehicle described in subdivision (f) of Section 27803 (VC 27803 describes ‘trikes’ and similar three wheeled vehicles) shall not do either of the following:

(a) Operate the vehicle in any lane established under Section 21655.5 as an exclusive or preferential use lane for high occupancy vehicles.

This is the subsection that allows motorcycles (2 wheels) to ride in the carpool lane. clap.gif

Cont.

(b) Operate the vehicle in either of the following:

(1) The area on, or immediately adjacent to, the striping or other markers designating adjacent traffic lanes.

This is the subsection that allows motorcycles to drive on or immediately next to the markings that separate lanes traveling in the same direction (it supersedes the section for other motor vehicles that states a motor vehicle shall be operated as closely as possible to the center of the lane). As the carpool lane and #1 lane are "adjacent traffic lanes" in most places, it stands to reason that you may ride on top of, or across, these marking as well. clap.gif

Cont.

(2) The area between two or more vehicles that are traveling in adjacent traffic lanes.

This is the subsection that makes it legal for motorcycles to split between cars. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The section reads poorly because it appears to prohibit these activities, however, the prohibition applies only to trikes.

Archived