IGNORED

Look at my AWESOME Heel Toe Shifter on my 2004 R1150RT !

chat_vmax

I have a bad left foot that was caused by years of shifting with poor shoes / boots,, im talking dirt bikes and all sort of foot grinders,, i am having surgery this winter to remove a neroma,, [ scar / nerve between bones.. As a result if i use a standard shifter more than 15 / 20 clicks up my foot swells and I can barely stand any shoe / boot on..

As a result my brother and I made this shifter and it is great,, I can ride pain free all day long,,,!!!!

Thoughts ? Opinions ?

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showp...amp;thecat=5469

Edited by chat_vmax

I think you described it perfectly.

A W S O M E!

I think thats gonna totally fix your foot problem. But im not a real doctor, i just play one on tv.

smile.gif

nice work. thumbsup.gif

That looks like a great idea. I have a similar problem due to gout (the good life) in my left foot.

Are you thinking of mass producing the shifter? clap.gif

But im not a real doctor, i just play one on tv.

smile.gif

nice work. thumbsup.gif

I stayed at a Holiday Inn, does that count? tongue.giflmao.gif

That doesn't count, it has to be a Holiday Inn Express !! dopeslap.gif

That looks like a great idea. I have a similar problem due to gout (the good life) in my left foot.

Are you thinking of mass producing the shifter? clap.gif

I was not thinking of mas producing them,,, BUT I know what a bummer it is not being able to ride the bike you want, and getting stuck on a fat v twin just because it has a heel toe shifter,,,

With that said this board and it members has treated me so well in the short time i have been a member I would consider making one for someone that has a need.....

[ It took us a little over 4 hours ] BUT if there is a demand I could bend the lever [ took the MOST time,,, looks easy BUT it has to be dead on ] and then bend a few more from the one I got right,, sort of a template,, and then go from there,, it would be much easier that way...

Is there a interest??

Edited by chat_vmax
russell_bynum

The best products are created by someone trying to solve a problem that they personally have.

That's cool.

The heel part looks awfully close to the passenger footpeg. Are there any problems with the passenger accidentally shifting the bike?

How 'bout a small production run? (maybe 100 or so?)

...and, do they fit the 1100?

BTW, really nice job!

Really not qualified to answer the 1100 question,, I will let a member that is familar with the BMW's answer that one... BUT I can see me bending / welding as many as I know there is a need for in one sitting....

Is there a member that could "poll" oe assemlle an "order " so to speak...??

Options

1. I purchase Stock Lever , fabricate heel toe shifter, weld / paint, add rubber.. Ship and charge...

2. I bend many and ship / charge member....

3. I take members stock lever and side plate, and make it for them and ship back and charge,, really makes no difference to me,,, ... ??

[ e-mail is william.catalina@mylanlabs.com ]

Joe Frickin' Friday
How 'bout a small production run? (maybe 100 or so?)

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Careful! All your freetime will get sucked up when this becomes a profitable venture! DAMHIK! wave.gif

The best products are created by someone trying to solve a problem that they personally have.

That's cool.

The heel part looks awfully close to the passenger footpeg. Are there any problems with the passenger accidentally shifting the bike?

I did bring it way back because I wanted the option to shift regular,, or the next owner to shift regular without having to buy a stock lever,,,

The great thing is that if your passenger " tried" to shift it they could only put into a higher gear,, that would be very unlikely unless you were helping them by laying off throttle as they were trying to push down,,,,, BUT there was no safety issue as in downshifting you around a corner,, that wouldn’t be nice....:-))

The final product could be located at the member’s liking as there is about 3 full inches to work with anywhere back there......

Edited by chat_vmax

I like it! I'm selling my Harley, but the shifter is one of the two things I will miss. Unlike most of the BMW riders, I ride wearing casual shoes around town ( I know it's dangerous, but it's a California thing) and the shifter is not only harder with a soft-top shoe, it leaves black marks on them. I would be interested. How did you achieve the cut-out in the side panel, it looks like a casting?

After two major foor surgeries and a total knee replacement, every shift hurts. Sign me up! Super idea, but why not use aluminum plate for the pivot, weld on a male receiving tube in the middle and bolt pegs on front and back? Either way, hope you or someone can do one for my 1100RT. Let me know. Great idea. dopeslap.gif

"A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but doesn't"

After two major foor surgeries and a total knee replacement, every shift hurts. Sign me up! Super idea, but why not use aluminum plate for the pivot, weld on a male receiving tube in the middle and bolt pegs on front and back? Either way, hope you or someone can do one for my 1100RT. Let me know. Great idea.
dopeslap.gif

Can anyone verify that he R1100RT is same as far as shifter lever as the R1150RT,, I would like to help 3 board members if I can...??

Thanks Much

"A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but doesn't"

mikefigielski

The 1100 and 1150 have different shifters and different footpeg plates. I'm sure the same thing could be done easily on the 1100 but the parts are different. Looks good, nice job!

Dude -

That look great! After seeing some of the other parts available from individual entrepreneurs online, I'd suggest you: apply for a patent TODAY, start a website tomorrow, and SELL THESE THINGS NOW !

Really, you've done what looks like a really nice job with designing it, and you could have a cool little hobby that could pay for your gas and beer, at least!

Good luck!

AL

bakerzdosen

Well, I don't have an RT so I'm not a potential customer, but yeah, that really does look nice.

Bill,

Very nice work. I have a R1100RT and am interested in the heel toe shifter. Let me know when you figure out a price and if you can make one for the R1100RT.

Mirage

I would buy one!! Awesome fabrication. Can I get one in chrome?? Seriously, you've got a winner there! Keep us posted.

Steven_Brown

I was born with "club foot" birth defect very limited ankle movement so I shift by physically pulling up my leg. I get along fine but this would be better. What is cost as I would like one for my 1997 BMW R1100RT. Steve@JacksBean.com

GREAT IDEA AND JOB clap.gif

Couchrocket

If you do get into production for some of our folk w/ special needs, I have a stock shifter from an 04 RT that I took off to put on the Suburban Machinery lowered version on my bike. I'd be glad to put my stock shifter "it in the system" so that folk are not "down a bike" while waiting for the modification.

PM me if you need it.

• 13 years later...
Mark Dzielski

Greetings,

Can anyone share the plans ( or photo) of the heal toe shifter listed in this thread.

Thank you for your help.