IGNORED

newbies and Torrey

Bheckel169

Paul Mihalka

Watch out for slow riding. Last time in Torrey I went with the group on the ride to Sweeper Madness. It was a "spirited" pace which I don't mind, but coming back I told the group that I'll go by myself and take it easy because I want to see the scenery. So I was the one who got stopped by a very friendly County Sheriff and got a warning. Two lane road. 87 in 65.

Couchrocket

Wow, I'm in. Just like that I go from lurker to noob. Feels good, Doug! This will be my first Torrey adventure. Can't wait.

Randy

Hey!!! I know this guy! We had the pleasure of working togtether for years!!! Hi Randy... looking forward to riding with you, and Doug, and Randy P., and Steve, and Russell, and Bob, and your brother! Holy cow, we've dang near got our own zip code . . . grin.gif
Bill_Walker
Possibly. If I do take the slow ride, you can rest assured that there will be no snow.

Oh. And here I thought that "slow" was just a typo for "snow". lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Hi All,

First time to Torry for me. Have meet many of the east coast board members at El Paseo gatherings and a Ride Smart Class but first time riding west of the Mississippi.

Had plans to ride out with Old Fart (Paul Mihalka) before he "torched" his bike. Will ride solo into Colorado and meet up with mrzoom (Rich Elardo) for a couple days of riding prior to arrival in Torrey on Wednesday or Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting, riding and sharing the passion that bonds the members of this board! thumbsup.gif

Damn, why didn't someone wake me up. When did this happen? Is there a thread?

Is the Old Fart OK?

Hi All,

First time to Torry for me. Have meet many of the east coast board members at El Paseo gatherings and a Ride Smart Class but first time riding west of the Mississippi.

Had plans to ride out with Old Fart (Paul Mihalka) before he "torched" his bike. Will ride solo into Colorado and meet up with mrzoom (Rich Elardo) for a couple days of riding prior to arrival in Torrey on Wednesday or Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting, riding and sharing the passion that bonds the members of this board! thumbsup.gif

Damn, why didn't someone wake me up. When did this happen? Is there a thread?

Is the Old Fart OK?

Yes, Paul's OK, but his bike looks like a marshmallow after a weenie roast. Paul started a thread in "Other Topics". Here it is: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/840649/an/0/page/2#Post840649

...There are a few other mandatory events that you'll have to participate in (e.g., the Marty Hill bike washing seminar, covered by Russell Bynum if Marty isn't available; the PhillyFlash "how to lead a slow ride" seminar...

See y'all there.

WARNING FOR ALL TORREY NEWBIES: If Philly Flash says anything like "Slow Ride" or "Boring Ride" and "Trust Me" in the same sentence -

Be Very Afraid!!! blush.gif

Wish somebody woulda warned me ahead of time! grin.gif

lmao.gif

...There are a few other mandatory events that you'll have to participate in (e.g., the Marty Hill bike washing seminar, covered by Russell Bynum if Marty isn't available; the PhillyFlash "how to lead a slow ride" seminar...

See y'all there.

WARNING FOR ALL TORREY NEWBIES: If Philly Flash says anything like "Slow Ride" or "Boring Ride" and "Trust Me" in the same sentence -

lmao.gif

I just hope it doesn't snow lmao.gif

Dennis Andress

See y'all there.

lmao.gif

Didn't we help him change his alternator belt on the last slow ride?

See y'all there.

lmao.gif

Still the best ride in Torrey I ever had. Thanks again for leading that one Howard. thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

No, you helped me change the alternator belt on the last snow ride.

And Laney, I understand your trepidation whenever I lead a ride. But you keep coming along. Let's see, what kind of a ride should I lead you on next? How about if I lead the ride to the alter. I'll be sure to make it slow and boring. I promise. Trust me. grin.gif

How about if I lead the ride to the alter. I'll be sure to make it slow and boring. I promise. Trust me. grin.gif

Awwwww!!!

Thats just sahhweeet!!!!!!!! clap.gif

PhillyFlash
Still the best ride in Torrey I ever had. Thanks again for leading that one Howard. thumbsup.gif

That was a great one, Brian. Let's see, we broke the sound barrier, made Bounce Bynum's head spin around, saw Buttercup almost hit a wall when we dropped from 100 to 35 mph for the curves, watched as Luky passed out from dehydration, showed Laney that it is possible to ride above the speed limit and still have fun, and raced back to Cafe Diablo just in time for dinner. Yep, just a typical day at Torrey.

How about if I lead the ride to the alter. I'll be sure to make it slow and boring. I promise. Trust me.

Take my advice.

The slow and boring part comes after the trip to the alter, just ask my wife !! eek.gif

That was a great one, Brian. Let's see, we broke the sound barrier, made Bounce Bynum's head spin around, saw Buttercup almost hit a wall when we dropped from 100 to 35 mph for the curves, watched as Luky passed out from dehydration, showed Laney that it is possible to ride above the speed limit and still have fun, and raced back to Cafe Diablo just in time for dinner. Yep, just a typical day at Torrey.

For those that missed that ride... here's a ride report. The funniest part of the whole ride, when I almost hit the wall... Tool followed me straight into the pull out, thinking I was going to stop and take a picture of the beautiful view. I still crack up thinking about that one.

http://www.teambutterkup.com/?page_id=52 (words only, pictures will be reposted soon)

kris

Wait a minute! If memory serves...

You showed me it was possible to ride above the mark on the speedometer that has the three digits.

If I remember right, it was a bit over three digits!

For extended periods of time... blush.gif

You forgot about how you just us stopped beofre the deer jumped out in front of us in Capitol Reef.

And you also barely got us back in time for me to wash my hair before dinner! crazy.gif

And that was MY first trip to Torrey. eek.gif

And it was fun! grin.gif

Hi Mark,

It will be nice to meet a fellow Canadien. This will be my first time in Torrey and I am looking for it. See you there.

Real

PS: Great pictures, I recognize many place i was a couple of years agon on my cross country trip.

marcopolo
Hi Mark,

It will be nice to meet a fellow Canadien. This will be my first time in Torrey and I am looking for it. See you there.

Real

PS: Great pictures, I recognize many place i was a couple of years agon on my cross country trip.

Bonjour Real. A bientot a Torrey! (can't find the accents on the keyboard). thumbsup.gif

Bob Palin
Bonjour Real. A bientot a Torrey! (can't find the accents on the keyboard). thumbsup.gif
Francaise est interdit en Torrey! eek.gif
marcopolo
Francaise est interdit en Torrey! eek.gif

And the Queen's English too?

Bob Palin
And the Queen's English too?
Well, there are two of us and we just talk to each other grin.gif (she spells funny though)
Les is more
The slow and boring part comes after the trip to the alter, just ask my wife !!

I've met and spoken with your wife. She never said anything about you being slow.

Dayumn, Kris!! Thanks for those blasts from the past! clap.gif

(But . . . where's the rest of the Gunnison 'Tale?? crazy.gifbncry.gif )

For those of you who are interested in some of the spirit of this place that hooked so many of us here in the beginning, check out some of Kris' other great 'Tales linked to on the right of this link! thumbsup.gif

It was write-ups like those of Torrey and the Pied Piper Tour--and all the fabulous pictures--that got me so determined to get my bike and meet up with these other Hoons in person--no matter how far the ride! Picture me sitting for hours on end in my La-Z-Boy reading these stories and dreaming of someday being able to get out on the road. crazy.gif

My "first" time in Torrey was just Leslie and I on the way home from the first UnRally in Gunnison. I recall a conversation with Wurty and a few others going something like: "What's that?? 'What's Torrey?' You mean you've never ridden Torrey?? You've GOT to stop by on your way home!"

It was beautiful and fun and amazing, but my first REAL BMWST.com Torrey experience was later that fall (Torrey IV) and it is truly the wonderful, warm and welcoming people who love riding, love to laugh and have a fun time that make it SO special. There were many newbies there who were just as shy and as unsure of how they would be received as we were, but Torrey is all about friendships--new and old--and riding incredible roads. And like at the UnRally, I just walked up to folks and introduced myself and even though I was very new on the DB and didn't know hardly anyone--almost everyone to a one introduced themselves and the rest of the group and I was instantly at home. I've been to many other rides and club events where the atmosphere of inclusiveness was nowhere near as welcoming as it is with this group. I really think it's because it is the clear intention--spoken right out front--that this is what Torrey is all about: sharing the love of SportTouring and cameraderie with other true "riders" and making lots of new instant friends with wonderful people from all over.

Thanks again to all those who set the standard and those who continue to raise the bar for what this place stands for! Our lives have been so enriched by the people we've met and the experiences we've had since finding this little corner of the Web! There's just not enough money and vacation time to ride to all the places we want to see, but we're working on it! wave.gif

As Gleno would say: "Let's MOTO!!" clap.gif

Bill_Walker
No, you helped me change the alternator belt on the last snow ride.

And Laney, I understand your trepidation whenever I lead a ride. But you keep coming along. Let's see, what kind of a ride should I lead you on next? How about if I lead the ride to the alter. I'll be sure to make it slow and boring. I promise. Trust me. grin.gif

Well, if you calculate the average speed for the ride including the time taken to change the belt, it probably was a slow[/b] ride (in addition to being a snow ride.

Speaking of which, maybe we should start calling you "The Man From Snowy Road". grin.gif

I've met and spoken with your wife. She never said anything about you being slow.

Leslie strikes again! smile.giflmao.gif

Dennis Andress

It looks like this thread is helping the newbies learn the cast of leading characters.

Whose got Torrey pictures?

66623964-M.jpg

The slow and boring part comes after the trip to the alter, just ask my wife !!

clap.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

Did you say Torrey 2001

Kris and Sam getting ready to Party.

P000643.jpg

General Dick Frantz

P000650.jpg

P000656.jpg

sam in the right frame of mind.

P000652.jpg

Kris , Gleno and Terri, my brother Maxwell Smart, & Guido

P000645.jpg

Wurty and Agent 86 ( my brother) .

You can see I got the good looks and he got the Brains.

P000649.jpg

It looks like this thread is helping the newbies learn the cast of leading characters.

Once they arrive in Torrey, everyone's a leading character. wave.gif

The question is - can you find a NON-character in this picture! characterspoolside.jpg

OK, maybe there is one non-character in the group...

noncharacter.jpg

The Sock Monkey and the HD.

71908352-L.jpg

Even the Lawman was in Torrey last year.

71918452-L.jpg

I sure hope they straighten out some of the roads......NOT!!!!!!

71922192-L.jpg

It's sure lonely around the Chuckwagon without you guys....

71927376-L.jpg

Noobs....please show up early and stay late.....Louise and I would love to hang with ya.

Whip

Bheckel169

I had no idea that starting this thread would elicit so many comments and jokes. I hope you don't take this too far as I'm only 4' 11" and a bit challenged on my 1200 RT. I've got to warn you that starting and stopping are a little bit dicey for me but once I'm on the road, I'm one with my machine. See you in Torrey.

Bruce

Dennis Andress

4' 11" and a bit challenged on my 1200 RT

Challenged? Dude, you rock! 4' 11" on any bike is unreal!!

I guess I'll be another newbie to add to the list of attendees. I spent the night in Torrey in Nov '05 while on a solo ride...the place was pretty much deserted! The roads are so fantastic, I can't wait to get back.

For my May schedule, I asked the bidding software to give me the Torrey weekend off. I didn't care what else I worked during the month. But of course, the system assigned me a trip on Saturday and Sunday! With a bit of a cash bribe, a co-worker has picked up my trip for me; that gives me nine days off in a row. Sweet. Got a room reserved at the Econolodge(?)...will leave SoCal Wednesday, spent the night in Flagstaff or at the Big Ditch, then roll into Torrey Thursday evening. Sunday it looks like I'll head north to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Bozeman, Cody...wherever the roads are open and I can get back home by Thurs night. Hopefully I'll recognize some of the guys from Steves1150's long day ride back in March.

See ya in Utah!

Bheckel169

Yeh, usually I have a couple of riding buddies who ride with me. We humorously call it "pitching and catching". When I start a ride, I climb on and one of my buddies holds the handlebars and the other hugs my top case and steadies the bike for me as they lift the kickstand. I start the bike and get up some good revs and take off. I have to be sure that I've visited the men's room first because there's no stopping once I'm "on board". When we return from a trip, my pals park first as I circle around them and they "catch" me as I slowly, ever more slowly come to a crawl and they grab the bike and again, steady it for me while I get off. The only problem I'm going to have is that my friends aren't coming with me to Torrey, so I'll need some help from some of you folks. Since Wurty seems to be really popular, I'd like him to be one the "catchers" if he doesn't mind. I'll let you more experienced folks pick the "pitchers". This will be a lot of fun and I've found that at 4' 11" I've made more friends this way. See you in Torrey!

JerryMather
Since Wurty seems to be really popular, I'd like him to be one the "catchers" if he doesn't mind.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

If you've got a sheepskin cover on that thing............Wurty's there for ya! thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
What is the story with the sock monkey?

Ah, hell, somebody just had to ask. What a can of worms you just opened. Now he's gonna come out of his hole again.

lurker.gif

Since Wurty seems to be really popular, I'd like him to be one the "catchers" if he doesn't mind.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

If you've got a sheepskin cover on that thing............Wurty's there for ya! thumbsup.gif

I'd have to cover my eyes........... lmao.gif

Whose got Torrey pictures?

66623964-M.jpg

BTW...who is that masked, alien looken being????

SC_SVRider
I'm only 4' 11" and a bit challenged on my 1200 RT

eek.gif DUDE! Please tell me how you do that??

I'm 5' 4" ( or 3' 1/2" as Shawn says) and still can't touch the ground on an RT! I opted for a R1100R instead... thumbsup.gif

Shawn, if the RT is missing this weekend, don't worry, it's just me taking it out to "scuff" in the new tires before Torrey!! lmao.giflmao.gif

JerryMather
66623964-M.jpg

BTW...who is that masked, alien looken being????

If the photo was one of those scratch and sniff types................Wurty could tell ya. wink.giflmao.gif

Marty Hill

Wow! Some very unusual people come to torrey. eek.gif As shy as I am, perhaps I should hide behind the building for a day or so. dopeslap.gif

Since Wurty seems to be really popular, I'd like him to be one the "catchers" if he doesn't mind. I'll let you more experienced folks pick the "pitchers".

OH.... I CAN'T WAIT to see Wurty as a "Catcher". I've been trying to get him to catch for years... but he's always thinking with all his experience that he should pitch!!

lmao.gif

Kudos to you for making the best of your ride and finding a way to make it all work. That's what I call thinking outside the box...

Dennis Andress

How we ever got from welcoming Torrey newbies to pitching and catching is beyond me. It's nice to see everybody in character though.

More pictures?

71193928-L.jpg

66624034-L.jpg

66623970-L.jpg

Butterkup's new ride(s)... not sure which one will end up in Torrey. No matter... they're both red and fast.

853086-mini_R1000.jpg

853086-mini_R1000.jpg.da2ea65219847723760a2e8762909628.jpg

Archived