IGNORED

newbies and Torrey

Bheckel169

I posted earlier about the tight knit group that will be assembling for the Torrey extravaganza and everyone made me feel very comfortable. I thought it might be fun to see who are the newbies (including me) who are coming to the rally. So, anybody who would like to share their story and try to locate some of us who are new to the group coming to the event, feel free to join in and tell us your more about you, where you're coming from and then if you like, we can identify each other and have a chance to make a connection when we get to Torrey.

I'm very familiar with the country down there and I can't tell you how excited I am to again, ride the red rock country.

Bruce from Utah

Calvin  (no socks)

Bruce, I too will be a newbie for 5 minutes.... I was in Gunnison last June for the Un V... I took a day trip to Moab and said to myself, "I'll be back" in my best Terminator voice..

Fast forward to Gleno's challenge to "Kick it Up" and I responded with a I'll be there........

I'm coming from Florida to play in your backyard...A surgical strike with a week in the area.. I want to see all the good stuff, ride all the great roads I've been hearing so much about and kick back and relax with all my new friends.

This is my first time there as well, though I was in Gunnison last June for the UnRally. I'll be coming from Ottawa, Ontario (about 6,500 miles round trip). I'm leaving Saturday and meeting DouglasR of the Board in Jackson WY on Tuesday. We'll ride down to Torrey on Thursday, and leave Sunday for Colorado. We'll be at the Capitol Reef. This is not Doug's first time there. Got new rubber (as in tires), so I'm good to go.

ericfoerster

Most of the new folks gather at the tattoo shop in Bicknell. There are a few that try their hand at tattooing a buddy; I’d rather see the mandatory “Torrey” ink done by a pro.

Marty Hill used to do the tattoos for a bottle of wine, might check with him.

For the newbies...If you didnt notice the other thread reminding everyone to watch out for deer in Utah you might want to check that one out... oh and also watch out for cows and other critters in the road... and these:

350725_568fa7caaf_s.jpg

They make it fun! thumbsup.gif

Geez, Eric. I was talking about newbies not naive newbies. However, I understand this year the old timers are going to have indian petroglyphs tatooed on each cheek as a remembrance of the red rock country.

Geez, Eric. I was talking about newbies not naive newbies. However, I understand this year the old timers are going to have indian petroglyphs tatooed on each cheek as a remembrance of the red rock country.
It will be

The Mark Of The Fremont People

fremontmark.jpg

StretchMark

This will be the first Torrey for HoonTang and I. We will be coming from Georgia. When we get tired of riding, the boring scenery of Utah and listening to the same Mother Mabel Carter autoharp songs on the iPod, we will be searching for western-themed miniature golf establishments. Any tips would be appreciated. smile.gif

I've met a few of the clowns at other events and look forward to meeting a bunch of the other folks.

I'll be the tall goofy red-headed guy drinking out of the Arrogant Bastage pint glass pilfered during Death Valley Days. Can't miss me thumbsup.gif HoonTang will be the shy one sitting in the corner by herself tongue.gif

russell_bynum

HoonTang will be the shy one sitting in the corner by herself

Right.

And I'll be the one riding 20mph through the park stopping every half-mile to take breathtaking photos.

lmao.gif

Ditto on the watchin for cows theres nothin like coming hot into a turn draging some parts

only to notice 60 head of cattle in the middle of the road about 30 yards ahead tongue.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Mark, after watching the video, I realized I had a few cold ones with ya'll at the Gunnysack... eh...

See you there.... thumbsup.gif

I've been through Torrey a couple of times...but not for any "events". I'm coming down from Edmonton Alberta alone ...so far. Checking in Friday PM. I am really looking forward to meeting the good folks behind so many helpful and just plain interesting postings I have read here over the last couple of years.

See y'all real soon.

Most of the new folks gather at the tattoo shop in Bicknell. There are a few that try their hand at tattooing a buddy; I’d rather see the mandatory “Torrey” ink done by a pro.

Eric,

Thanks for pimping my new business. lmao.gif

See you there or before/hi to tanker and shopper. wave.gif

HoonTang will be the shy one sitting in the corner by herself tongue.gif

Umm, doubt that.

Given this crowd, if I were you, I wouldn't leave her anywhere by herself. wink.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
HoonTang will be the shy one sitting in the corner by herself tongue.gif

Umm, doubt that.

Given this crowd, if I were you, I wouldn't leave her anywhere by herself. wink.gif

Since I'm so shy too, I'll be taking care of Christine in the corner drinking a little "courage in a bottle" in order to be able to come out of our shells and meet everyone:

117237936-M.jpg

Don't worry Mark, I'll take care of her so you don't have to Worry at ALL

Then it is on to the fresh meat, clap.gif identifiable by there fresh tattos!

lmao.giflmao.gif

Bruce and any other member for that matter, I will be staying at the Boulder View.

This will be parked in front of my room:

142_0782.jpg

Stop by and say hello. Including Boney, I want to hear that shark story!! thumbsup.gif

P.S. I'll probably have cold beer too!

Now a beer sounds a whole lot better then a tattoo! clap.gif

I'll be coming in on Thursday afternoon, late. Let the initiation begin, but be gentle!

Bruce

I will be the Noob's Noob or Noobiest crazy.gif?? Hell I havent even had any crown yet this morning! This will be my first long trip on the GT. I have never been to Torrey area and I have never met anyone from this board! Why am I going you say -- I dont have any tat's yet. eek.gif I have been reading and following this board since last summer and figure its time to get the initiation over with. Looking forward to meeting all ya all. I will be leaving Portland,Or on Tue's and arriving on thursday staying at the best western.

Mike

From one newbie to another, welcome Mike. I live in Utah and frequent the red rock country and you're in for a treat. I've been going to the Hell's Canyon Motorcycle Rally in Baker City, Oregon which falls on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of June this year, but this ride and the geography is something I'm looking forward to. I'll be staying at the Wonderland Inn and have a black graphite 1200 RT. Safe trip!

And I'll be the one riding 20mph through the park stopping every half-mile to take breathtaking photos.

lmao.gif

So, since you won't be needing the Tuono, can I ride it? grin.gif Maybe somebody has a nice scooter you could borrow? smile.gif

P.S. - I heard Marty's raising his prices from a bottle of wine to a bottle of Patron! Be prepared if you want new ink on your - uh, whatever part you want ink on blush.gif

... oh and also watch out for cows and other critters in the road... and these:

350725_568fa7caaf_s.jpg

And sometimes they make it even more fun by putting them in the middle of corners where you're leaned over.

Half the fun of Torrey is meeting new people and putting faces to DB names. Lots of socializing in the parking lot with bottles of stuff that's barely legal in Utah. I used to be surprized by meeting a whole new group of people each time I went. Now it's just par for the course. Whether you're new to the DB or an old hand just new Torrey, everyone will fit right in. thumbsup.gif

Crazy_Canuck

He aint getting the bottle of wine until AFTER he is done doing the Tatoo. wink.giflmao.gif

P.S. - I heard Marty's raising his prices from a bottle of wine to a bottle of Patron! Be prepared if you want new ink on your - uh, whatever part you want ink on blush.gif

thumbsup.giflmao.gifwave.gif

Bruce and any other member for that matter, I will be staying at the Boulder View.

Stop by and say hello. Including Boney, I want to hear that shark story!! thumbsup.gif

P.S. I'll probably have cold beer too!

Seeing as party central for the Torrey weekend is The Chuckwagon, wouldn't it be better to take your cold beer over there and socialize with the rest of us rather than expecting us to come to you?

Look for me, I'll be wearing a nametag that says Fred. dopeslap.gif My tent will be 3 miles north of Brinks Burgers. lmao.gif

Oh yah, for you newbies the show and shine is on Fri. and the light show is Sat nite after the food thing. lmao.gif Both are 3 miles north of the Chuck Wagon at Mart's tent. thumbsup.gif

Also ,newbies must elect a road captain so you should start your election campaign for this honored position NOW... grin.gif

Seeing as party central for the Torrey weekend is The Chuckwagon, wouldn't it be better to take your cold beer over there and socialize with the rest of us rather than expecting us to come to you?

Bob, I'll be doing that also ! grin.gif

I am a relative newbie, I have never have been to Torrey and am looking forward to it. clap.gifclap.gif
So, Rob, you been holding back on me? Which newbie are you a relative to, hmmm? grin.gif
Bill_Walker
... oh and also watch out for cows and other critters in the road... and these:

350725_568fa7caaf_s.jpg

And sometimes they make it even more fun by putting them in the middle of corners where you're leaned over.

I especially like the one that's on UT 12 headed towards Torrey, nearly at the bottom of a long, steep, straight grade, just before a 90-degree left with a couple-hundred-foot dropoff on the right. For all you newbies coming in that way, I've just saved you the "shock and awe" I experienced as my initiation!

Wow, I'm in. Just like that I go from lurker to noob. Feels good, Doug! This will be my first Torrey adventure. Can't wait.

Randy

Bill_Walker
Wow, I'm in. Just like that I go from lurker to noob. Feels good, Doug! This will be my first Torrey adventure. Can't wait.

Randy

Welcome aboard, Randy! Where in SoCal are you?

You're gonna love Torrey. I guar-an-tee it!

Hi All,

First time to Torry for me. Have meet many of the east coast board members at El Paseo gatherings and a Ride Smart Class but first time riding west of the Mississippi.

Had plans to ride out with Old Fart (Paul Mihalka) before he "torched" his bike. Will ride solo into Colorado and meet up with mrzoom (Rich Elardo) for a couple days of riding prior to arrival in Torrey on Wednesday or Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting, riding and sharing the passion that bonds the members of this board! thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

OK, there's lots of good-natured ribbing going on here, but all you newbies, just remember it's all in fun, just like most of the atmosphere is on a Torrey weekend. You'll all fit in just fine, so don't worry about it. That is, of course, as long as you follow a few simple rules and traditions:

Almost always, someone will come up and say hello. If they don't, say hello to the first person you see, and it will snowball from there.

All newbies do meet at the tattoo shop in Bicknell (the one right behind the Starbuck's, next to the synagogue), but not all must get a tattoo (just be sure to bring a notarized letter from your priest, minister, rabbi, or whoever, saying that it is contrary to your religious beliefs). Be sure to present it to Wurty for approval. You'll know it meets his approval if he gives you the customary "I don't have to get a tattoo" sheepskin jacket to wear. This is done in a private ceremony at a place of Wurty's choosing, so don't be worried if he asks you to come with him for a few minutes.

All newbies are required, however, to skinny dip in Fish Lake on Saturday. This is a tradition, and we all have done it. I can still remember my first time back in October of '01, and I'm sure all the veterans can remember the wonderful warmth of the lake when they jumped in, too. The lake is fed by mineral hot springs, and is a very pleasant 83 degrees year round. So just peel off those riding suits and jump right in. It's delightful, and the mineral water is very soothing for those new tattoos. Unfortunately, tradition holds that only newbies are allowed to swim in Fish Lake on Torrey newbie day (that's Saturday for all you newbies), but we'll all gather to enviously watch as you take that delightful plunge. Ah, to be a newbie again.

There are a few other mandatory events that you'll have to participate in (e.g., the Marty Hill bike washing seminar, covered by Russell Bynum if Marty isn't available; the PhillyFlash "how to lead a slow ride" seminar - one of my favorites; the Benicia RT/GT class on "rider promptness, and other tips on etiquette"; Arizona Al's ear canal exam; and azkaisr, aka pimp daddy's, ever popular seminar, "pimpin' fo yo homies." Some new workshops and seminars may be added, as there will be a large crop of newbies.

So come on out, cast you're inhibitions to the wind, and we'll see all of you at the 13th "Newbies' Friday Night Streak At Sunset" in the Chuckwagon parking lot, at sunset, of course. (Shoes permitted.)

See y'all there.

Dennis Andress
There are a few other mandatory events that you'll have to participate in (e.g., the Marty Hill bike washing seminar, covered by Russell Bynum if Marty isn't available; the PhillyFlash "how to lead a slow ride" seminar - one of my favorites; the Benicia RT/GT class on "rider promptness, and other tips on etiquette"; Arizona Al's ear canal exam; and azkaisr, aka pimp daddy's, ever popular seminar, "pimpin' fo yo homies." Some new workshops and seminars may be added, as there will be a large crop of newbies.

I'm glad you brought up the idea of a slow ride. Work(sucks), again, and I need Torrey badly. If you have any plans for a slow ride I sure want in on it.

wave.gifwave.gif

Archived