IGNORED

Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Jacqueline

First, I can tell there is some concern that I may be getting to close to the wild animals when I’m taking pictures blush.gif. Let me assure you I am mindful of my distance and respectful of the animals need for space especially when the animal is a mother. My camera is not some high powered expensive thing, but it does allow me to take some okay shots from a distance thumbsup.gif . Example:

Look on the right side of this picture about half way down, to the right of the pine tree…… yes, there is where these flowers are.

Some beautiful blue flowers…..

162071922-L.jpg

Look on the right side of this picture about half way down, to the right of the pine tree…… yes, there is where these flowers are.

162071925-L.jpg

Another picture giving even more perspective as to how far away I was when taking the first picture of these flowers…. I was on the other side of the gorge from these flowers…. A safe distance clap.gif.

162071927-L.jpg

My plan was to get a job when I was up here to help keep myself a float while I enjoy Alaska. Barb, owner of Alaska Leathers has put me to work in her store/shop. I love it! Barb is such a wonderful person. I’m learning things and meeting a great many people (both local people and travelers from around the world that are living their dream of coming to Alaska). My first job for Barb was to go and purchase a book which she has at her counter for Riders passing through to sign. What a great idea, and what a great book that will become over the next few years cool.gif.

162181338-L.jpg

Robert (a rider out of Texas), Barb, Max (a rider out of Texas)

I have been having a wonderful time venturing out around Anchorage. A short ride north of Anchorage I stopped at Thunderbird Falls. It was a one mile hike through the mossy forest to watch the falls thunder down the rocky cliff face.

161671576-L.jpg

161671589-L.jpg

161671597-L.jpg

162071915-L.jpg

162075859-L.jpg

When I had been to Thunderbird Falls back in Sept. 2005 it really grabbed me, it’s beauty, the serenity, and an eagle was gliding on an airstream over head. That day I was not able to capture the eagle or the feel of that spot on film and yes, I had really hoped to have a replay now, this time. But that was not to happen (no eagle), and as I enjoyed the view, the water fall, the sounds (the birds, the breeze, the waterfall) I was reminded that some thing happen once in a lifetime and if we are lucky, we are not to busy or to preoccupied to realize when these things are present. Seize the day, seize the moment.

Hiking back from the Falls I took this picture…..

162075864-L.jpg

I have thought several times during my adventure how different places and the plants are and how similar places and the plants are. One plant that seems to grow EVERYWHERE is the dandelion.

I can hear a lot of you right now saying “well ya, it’s a weed”. A dandelion is in fact a yellow-flowered herb. A weed is any plant growing where one does not want it, so a beauty rose could be a “weed”.

Rode down a fanatic road……. Later learned it was Knik-Goose Bay Rd.

Can you imagine living in this cabin…..

162075870-L.jpg

AND having to get up every morning and look out the window at this?????……….

162079256-L.jpg

162079267-L.jpg

Knik Arm

162079279-L.jpg

162079277-L.jpg

Continued down the road (about 25 miles) just taking in all the breath taking scenery had no idea where the road went or where I was headed. Yes, I could just keep going…..

162176619-L.jpg

162176637-L.jpg

162176605-L.jpg

Then this eek.gif

162079276-L.jpg

What the??????? NO, bncry.gif this road can’t JUST END!!!!!! But it did.

Turned around….. and headed back towards Wasilla with a stop at the Iditarod Trail Race Headquarters. A very informative place to learn about the Sport of Dog Mushing.

162176655-L.jpg

162176565-L.jpg

162176647-L.jpg

Look at the beautiful blue eyes this guy has… smile.gif

162179470-L.jpg

There were some puppies in a pen and they came to life when these two little sweethearts showed up. They live near by and ride their bicycles here everyday to play with the pups.

162179426-L.jpg

162179461-L.jpg

162179478-L.jpg

The ride down the Glenn Highway headed back to Anchorage near an open grazing area I spot these two moose…… (these pics are just for you Whip)

162179444-L.jpg

162179486-L.jpg

The moose on the left appeared to have an issue with the one on the right…..

162181299-L.jpg

Time for me to leave before things get heated between the two..

Hey J

Thanks for the moose pix. Ya think you'll be up to oil changes amd tire repairs by the time we get there. I'm sure we'll need some help.grin.gif

Louise is gonna love those puppy pix and the dog with the blue eyes looks intense.

We are all counting the days until departure......Josh is headin out next week.

I'll show him a pic of that cabin and tell him that's where he's gonna stay.

Thanks for the Ride Tale.

Whip

Hey J

Ya think you'll be up to oil changes amd tire repairs by the time we get there. I'm sure we'll need some help.grin.gif

After yesterday YES!!!!! I spent another $500+ crazy.gif on new tires (yes again), oil change, and repairs to the fork seal. The fork seal should have been a warranty item, but what's a girl to do when she can't get into a BMW dealer (the one in Anchorage SUCKS.... and they DON'T call you back). But any oil change done on my bike now will be done by me, and when it's time for new tires (before I head home) I'm sure I'll be able to pull them off and put them on..... I've watched it enough in the past two months thumbsup.gif.

On this trip I've lost weight (unlike Kaneman), but gained a lot of knowledge, and met a lot of really wonderful people thumbsup.gif..... and it's ALL GOOD!

On this trip I've ... gained a lot of knowledge, and met a lot of really wonderful people thumbsup.gif..... and it's ALL GOOD!

Than it was trip well worth taking thumbsup.gif

At least you are keeping your distance from the dangerous wild flowers grin.gif

When are we going to see Salmon pictures?

And I think that view out of that cabin would get boring after about 40 years.

Keep having fun!

Tom

When are we going to see Salmon pictures?

I have not forgotten..... I have fishing gear all lined up (someone is lending me thumbsup.gif), I picked up the fishing schedule (what's in season) yesterday, and I have to locate where I can get it cleaned and frozen thumbsup.gif.

And I may ride downtown (yes, right in downtown Anchorage) today and have a look at the creek, who's fishing, what luck they are having, and take a few pics. grin.gif

How ya doing Jackie...

We miss down here in the Sunshine State..

Talked to my brother who lives outside of Anchorage says it's been quite windy up there...Be safe I hear the wind can blow really stong in Alaska.

If you need any help up there let me know and I'll get my brother and his family to help you out he will be more than happy to help ya...

He's taken already but as a mountain man he is 6'7 and 310 lbs. he is really a mountain....

Congrats on finding a place to hang out! Barb was great to deal with when I got my tires up there. Wish I could come visit!!

Great pics!

i'm a satisfied customer of alaska leather. must be nice to work in a job w/o crunching numbers. stay safe.

ps...it's about 100 degrees down here.

Gary in Aus

Jacqueline,

thanks for all the great photos and it's a pleasure reading of your journey, thanks for sharing.

I haven't been to Alaska and your story so far may be just the incentive needed to make something happen.

Your photograph of the sign detailing the Iditarod Race has me intrigued as the top right hand flag is the Australian flag and I will now have to find out what it is doing on the sign.

I vaguely remember quite a few years ago a television item about a man from Canberra training on a wheeled dog sled {no snow - bit like the jamaican and australian bob sleigh teams}for a race , this may be it.

Keep up the reports.

Thanks for the stories and all the pictures, Jackie. Glad to see you're having such a great time.

I was also pleased to see the bust of Joe Redington and "Feets". I've been a follower and supporter of the Iditarod for a number of years now. The race each March, at least to me, is fun to follow, and I love how the dogs are held in such high regard! They are beautiful. Their website is at http://www.iditarod.com/ . And, yes, Gary, there are "mushers" from Aus.

Enjoy your trip and stay, Jackie. thumbsup.gif

Hi Jackie,

I'm new on this forum, having gotten my first beemer after you hit the road. Since I started hanging out here I've mostly been looking at hexheads, ridetalk and ridewell, as I've been learning about my bike and how to deal with it. Last night for the first time I ventrured into ridetales, and your's is the very first, so far the only, since this took almost 3 hours and I just finished it, one I've seen! I assume that it is "exceptional", in every sense of the word.

What an epic adventure! clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Like everyone says, you go girl, and keep up the posts!

Best wishes!

Jan

where I can get it cleaned and frozen .

Hey, woman! If yer gonna start changing yer own tires ain't it time ya cleaned yer own fish????

Great to follow your trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Makes me want to ask Whip if he's got room for another hoon on his trip......

where I can get it cleaned and frozen .

Hey, woman! If yer gonna start changing yer own tires ain't it time ya cleaned yer own fish????

Great to follow your trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Makes me want to ask Whip if he's got room for another hoon on his trip......

PM sent!!!!

Jacqueline, I enjoyed talking with you at Torrey.

Your ride tale has been, IMHO, one of the best I've seen here.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, you are right! But first things, first! smile.gif I'll be lucky to even catch one! I have never been good at fishing....it might have something to do with beening able to sit still long enough tongue.gif.

bakerzdosen

Well, I'll just add this:

I love Anchorage. Every time I go (even in mid-winter), I come back thinking "I could live there." HOWEVER, if you get hooked up with some locals, here's a word of advice. Fly by Night is a pretty good comedy club so it's worth going if you're looking for something to do. Just don't go to Mad Myrna's for the "drag show" - especially if you're staying sober - without REALLY thinking about it ahead of time (though it will probably be a bit different since you're female). Yes, a lot of the locals go because there's just not a whole lot to do there at night. Regardless, just trust me on this one.

I have yet to live it down at work. dopeslap.gif

Move to Alaska....forget about your friends.

4 days ....tell Barb to give ya some time off....this is supposed to be a vacation.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

I think she just doesn't need us anymore Whip. Hope she is having a wonderful time. Maybe we will get a Christmas Card.

BeniciaRT_GT
I think she just doesn't need us anymore Whip. Hope she is having a wonderful time. Maybe we will get a Christmas Card.

I think she hasn't been pushed over since she got there and that is why we haven't heard from her!

You scared her off!

Move to Alaska....forget about your friends.

I have not forgotten about my friends...... REALLY!!! I miss you all... wishing it could always be Torrey grin.gif. Yes, I have been working a lot for Barb... and I've been camping at the H-D dealership at night. I've been meeting a lot of riders that stop at Alaska Leather and in the camping area at the H-D dealership. I work Tuesday (8am to 7pm) for Barb, then Wednesday I'm headed out for Dawson City, Yukon and the adventure will heat up again.

I promise to do an update Tuesday evening on the events of the past week thumbsup.gif.

Work 8am to 7pm.

Wow.....I would talk to the union about that.

Looking forward to tomorrow. "Events of the past week"

Whip

Better watch it hanging around that H-D dealer, next thing you know you're seduced by the lure of the rumbling song of the V-Twin. cool.gif

Better watch it hanging around that H-D dealer, next thing you know you're seduced by the lure of the rumbling song of the V-Twin. cool.gif

Don't forget the Mountain Man on the Harley.

lmao.gif

...........but whose Barb?

Better re-read page #36 crazy.gif

from page 36....

My plan was to get a job when I was up here to help keep myself a float while I enjoy Alaska. Barb, owner of Alaska Leathers has put me to work in her store/shop. I love it! Barb is such a wonderful person. I’m learning things and meeting a great many people (both local people and travelers from around the world that are living their dream of coming to Alaska). My first job for Barb was to go and purchase a book which she has at her counter for Riders passing through to sign. What a great idea, and what a great book that will become over the next few years .

Thanks, but Whip already clued me in. [guess my reading retention isn't as good as it used to be tongue.gif]

[guess my reading retention isn't as good as it used to be tongue.gif]

Let this be a lesson to all!!!!!!!!!!

There will be a test at the end of this tale blush.gifgrin.gif

"I promise to do an update Tuesday evening on the events of the past week "

Is it Tuesday evening where you are?????????????????????????????

Sheeeeeeesh...I got to get going early tomorrow!

Ya'll let me know how it turns out.

Good night!!

Whip

The road to Alaska is paved with good intentions amigo...my guess is that she stopped to smell the flowers man.

grin.gifgrin.gif

bakerzdosen

See, she's still got several hours before it gets dark in Anchorage, so she's good for it.

Of course, I won't be up then, but still... I'm sure it's coming.

Good night!!

Whip

Yes, it's Tuesday evening grin.gifhere in Alaska and ONLY 9:06 pm grin.gif, with 4 more hours of daylight!!!!!!

I'm working on it.... crazy.gif ...(the ride tail)

Jacqueline,

After all these miles, still not writing you own wride tale. smirk.gifgrin.gif

Do not succumb to peer pressure when on a write.

Those Bozo's that don't have the patience to wait for you, well, let 'em go. tongue.gif

Wride your own wride, write your own wride tale.

thumbsup.gif

Oh, BTW, you call working in a motorcycle related business a job? lmao.gif

Take care. wave.gif

Good night!!

Whip

Yes, it's Tuesday evening grin.gifhere in Alaska and ONLY 9:06 pm grin.gif, with 4 more hours of daylight!!!!!!

I'm working on it.... crazy.gif ...(the ride tail)

What day is it now......hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????

I will be without my computer for the next several days.......unless I steal Killer's, Chris's, or Tom's.

Enjoy the Ride Tale without me.

grin.gif

Whip

SORRY, SORRY…… last night my laptop went dead! There were no outlets to plug into at the McDonalds I was at, overnight I had to recharge the laptop in the bathroom at the H-D. Dearlership. I also want to say Thank you... for being there, for being you, for being such a GREAT group of people.

Sorry for the lapse…. It’s so easy to loose track of time, what day it is, and even how many days have passed…..

Some of the local riders on the ADVrider board got together for a BBQ and invited me.

164827942-L.jpg

a view of Anchorage from Mike's mountain side home:

164827935-L.jpg

164827948-L.jpg

Mike (where the BBQ was held) had picked up a GasGas (a trials bike) recently and had carved out a challenging route on the mountain side beside his house.

164827953-L.jpg

164827959-L.jpg

164827950-L.jpg

It proved to be some great entertainment. Some of the riders gave a good show. I knew better then to try it. What a nice afternoon and a great group of people.

I went to Downtown Anchorage to check out Ship Creek and how the salmon fishing was going.

164840299-L.jpg

It is currently King Salmon season…. Plenty of people fishing but not so many King Salmon. I spoke with a gentle man that runs a little fishing equipment rental business on the side of the creek. He said the salmon had not come in yet, maybe it had been to cold, and maybe it had been to hot or maybe a well known Stellar Sea Lion was in the ocean at the mouth of the creek keeping the salmon from coming in. I heard some very interesting stories about this Stellar Sea Lion and how he comes up the Creek eating every Salmon he can and even pulling them off the fishing lines.

There was a Fishing Derby going on and with one day left it looked like a 42 lb. Salmon was going to take top prize.

164840305-L.jpg

Can you see me trying to real in a 42 lb. fish????? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif I hear the other types of Salmon are not as big, so I think I will wait a few more weeks for another type of Salmon to come into season before I try to catch one.

This week was full of a great many riders from all over the lower 48….

It was interesting looking at all the different bikes, some of the Farkles they had, some of the damages they had….

I met two other riders with a broken fork seal, another 650GS and 1200GS.

Can you guess what kind of bike this is????

164835333-L.jpg

This rider, out of Kentucky is a LUCKY MAN!

164835354-L.jpg

He’ll be even luckier if he can get through Canada (to get home) with his bike in this shape.

164835356-L.jpg

$5,500.00 worth of damage to the bike (according to the estimate he got today).

What could cause this kind of damage to a low milage Goldwing? A Deer on the Alcan! The Goldwing slid on its side a distance that grounded the foot peg down to nothing. The rider only suffered a very sore body for a few days.

I have been camping this week at the Harley Davidson Dealership. They are super nice people, with a wonderful set up for riders traveling through. A nice grassy area for tents, not noticeable from the road,

164840312-L.jpg

164840317-L.jpg

164840296-L.jpg

a locked (clean) bathroom with a shower, and one of the best restaurants in Anchorage right across the street.

At Alaska Leather I have met a great many riders. One of my last costumers yesterday was a woman with her riding companion Bailey, whom I got the pleasure of fitting with a pair of Doggogles.

164835351-L.jpg

Isn’t he just adorable in his new eyewear?

After hanging in Anchorage for three weeks it’s time to ride on and see what other wonders await.

I’m heading to Dawson City, Yukon for a big get together of Adventure Riders. The ride to Dawson should prove challenging. I will be going through Chicken and have the fun of riding on 56 miles of gravel road. I will let you know how I make out (or how my bike makes out).

Anchorage has been great:

Mark was wonderful to put me up for a while… THANK YOU Mark!

Barb was wonderful to put me to work for a while (what a very hard working, really wonderful person she is)….. THANK YOU Barb!

The H-D Dealership was wonderful in letting me take advantage of their facilities….. THANK YOU!

I’ll be returning to Anchorage in a week or two.....

next post will be when I have internet again.... tonight, tomorrow, soon.... not a week from now promise!

Have a good trip and a bunch of fun. wave.gif

Seems like the time to bash HD again.

Imagine their nerve, no masseuse on site.

grin.gif

How cool that the dealership provides this service. clap.gif

Looking forward to the next bit of the tale.

wave.gif

motorman587

Ms. Jacqueline,

You did not return my phone call. frown.gif I wanted a photo op in Fairbanks about four days ago. Did the haul road, you will enjoy Chicken and the "Top of the world highway", if I did it so can you. Dawson City was great too. You will take a ferry across the river, "free" of charge. I am in Denli at a "Cafe" as you stated has internet. I suck with the pictures through, you rock on the pictures.

Seems like the time to bash HD again.

Imagine their nerve, no masseuse on site.

grin.gif

How cool that the dealership provides this service. clap.gif

Would it not be wonderful if some of the dealers in the lower 48 would offer camping/shower facilities! Certainly some of them have the space. Truckers have places across the country that offer similar services but I have never heard of any bikers utilizing them.

Jacqueline - your pictures and comments continue to bring smiles and enjoyment! Looking forward to more of them! thumbsup.gif

Jacqueline,

After all these miles, still not writing you own wride tale. smirk.gifgrin.gif

Do not succumb to peer pressure when on a write.

Those Bozo's that don't have the patience to wait for you, well, let 'em go. tongue.gif

Wride your own wride, write your own wride tale.

thumbsup.gif

Oh, BTW, you call working in a motorcycle related business a job? lmao.gif

Take care. wave.gif

Thanks Tim...

It's not as easy as it looks, and I have now been on the road OVER TWO MONTHS and in that time I have ridden OVER 15k (that is 15,000, fifteen thousand) miles blush.gif. In some ways life is easier living off a motorcycle while in other ways it's more difficult.

I love it when someone asks (I was asked again today) me if I'm on the run grin.gif.... like I would tell them if I was tongue.gif.

I also got a big kick out of some of the riders coming into Alaska Leather.... they'd looked at me and say "I know you" or " Aren't you Jacqueline, the rider out of Florida". I guess I can run but I can't hide lmao.gif.

I'll be working on my ride tale here shortly....btw I'm in Tok, in my tent, and yes on the internet thumbsup.gif. How cool is that?

roadscholar

Hi Jacqueline, sounds like you're doing great, we (the home folks) would expect nothing less. What you've accomplished so far is impressive from where you started, and it does just keep getting better. thumbsup.gif

The road to Tok….

Three and a half weeks ago I rode from Tok to Anchorage. Today I rode from Anchorage to Tok and in three and a half weeks things have changed! It’s warm, the snow and ice is gone, and the wildflowers are out in FULL bloom!!!!!! Don’t get me wrong both rides were great and though it was the same route they both offered something different. The ride today was JUST WHAT I needed! It was like a drug. Keep in mind I have not gone any long rides in the past three weeks, I have pretty much stayed in Anchorage…. It is great getting out of town…. The mountains, the flowers……… the sheer beauty of Alaska……this is what I love. It’s so hard to capture in a picture…. But it is SO BEAUTIFUL and I was screaming with joy (and I mean screaming) as I rode. (I really think I have an addiction here that I’m not sure how I’m going to handle it…. The need to ride….. and not just around the block.)

165119035-L.jpg

165146718-L.jpg

165140691-L.jpg

165144051-L.jpg

165144035-L.jpg

165144043-L.jpg

165145452-L.jpg

165134856-L.jpg

the wildflowers are out....and I'm loving it.....

165136010-L.jpg

165144033-L.jpg

In the morning it’s off to Chicken… and the gravel road! I have to say with the TKC 80’s on the bike, today I felt in total control (and the bike feels so lite now. Guess I’m use to it.)…but only had small amount of gravel to deal with. I hope I remember to let some air out of the tires before I hit the gravel….. And I have it from a good authority that Tom is no where in the area.

Archived