IGNORED

Front wheel removal

Lawman

Anxious to try out my new tire changing equipment I decide to replace my front tire..After unscrewing the front axle enough that it should be sticking out nearly an inch I notice that instead of unscrewing from both forks it has only been unscrewing from the left fork and that the left fork has been forced out since the axle did not unscrew equally on the right side..I tighten it back up to relieve the stress on the left fork and try again..This time it comes out of both forks equally..I remove the wheel but now I'm wondering if I've done damage to the fork and what is actually going on there..I really don't even understand the mechanics involved there and in fact I don't even see any wheel bearings..Can someone splain this to me and tell me if I've likely damaged the left fork?

Anxious to try out my new tire changing equipment I decide to replace my front tire..After unscrewing the front axle enough that it should be sticking out nearly an inch I notice that instead of unscrewing from both forks it has only been unscrewing from the left fork and that the left fork has been forced out since the axle did not unscrew equally on the right side..I tighten it back up to relieve the stress on the left fork and try again..This time it comes out of both forks equally..I remove the wheel but now I'm wondering if I've done damage to the fork and what is actually going on there..I really don't even understand the mechanics involved there and in fact I don't even see any wheel bearings..Can someone splain this to me and tell me if I've likely damaged the left fork?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Just tryin to help.

I think you're probably ok. Don't forget, those aren't suspension forks like on most bikes, they are just used for alignment, the actual suspension is the spring and shock located up quite a bit higher and closer to the engine. If I'm not mistaken, the axle only screws into the far (left) side, and just fits into a close tolerance hole on the near (right) side. I'm also assuming you loosened up the lock bolt below the axle on the near side.

Archived