IGNORED

Salt Lake City Expose!

azkaisr

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom...of the press."

Why would I start out a ride tale of my trip to Salt Lake City for a tech daze? Well my fellow lovers of democracy, Sometimes being a correspondent of truth takes you into harms way for there are despots in the making everywhere. I only hope that the truth is never repressed….

144087600-L.jpg

Unlike most ride tales, because of time constraints and looming deadlines, I had decided to not take the bike the 800 miles to Andy’s place. Instead I decided to take an airplane!

144087582-L.jpg

It wasn’t all that full and I got to see some pretty cool stuff on the way there

144118440-L.jpg

This image shows some of the public art around the city. It is a Hohokam Indian pot reproduction done with landscaping stones. Pretty cool

144088123-L.jpg

This is Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. It is one of the main landmarks of the city. From here the city stretches about 40 miles in every direction. Crazy how big the metro area is here.

144119624-L.jpg

So this is picture of the road we often use to get into the mountains. Totally different perspective when you are this high up and going slow grin.gif

144119524-L.jpg

After a while we started to make our way to that big hole in the ground that Arizona is so famous for. Now one of the first jobs I held was working for Grand Canyon Helicopters back in the late 80’s. It still gives me goose bumps every time I go there

144126465-L.jpg

144126716-L.jpg

144127106-L.jpg

144128416-L.jpg

It really is a magical place and you all should make plans to see it in person.

144152980-L.jpg

After heading North for a little while longer, we started to descend into the Salt Lake area. Here is a massive Pit mine that is bigger then some of the local mountains!

144152644-L.jpg

Landing in town

144128537-L.jpg

Got into the rental car and headed over to “Camp Andy” He lives on a nice street. Great view!

144128620-L.jpg

I found the place easy enough from all the motos. Being the ace photojournalist I am, I decided to really try and capture both the good and the parts of the BMW scene. Sort of like how Hunter S. Thompson did with that other moto club back in the 60’s.

144151635-L.jpg

Figuring the best angle was to just try and fit in, I went in undercover…Bracing myself for the worst I went in

144128473-L.jpg

Not surprised the first Hoon is one of the ring leaders Jamie. It seems to me he is at all the main events. His knowledge of moto skills may just be a front, but if he ever decided to go legit, I bet he could make a decent living as a Auto Shop teacher.

144120224-L.jpg

The little guy in the foreground is some sort of secret initiation piece. I would tell you more about it, but have to think of the movie rights you know. Oh notice how Andy is already thinking “what the heck have I gotten myself into letting these Hoons into my home“!

144127687-L.jpg

My first real break in the story comes when a real rough looking fellow called “Killer” decided to break in half his alternator cover. I think that may be a felony in some states though I am not sure if Utah counts. Rather then snapping it in half like a phone book, he decides to use a dremel like tool. Only problem is the last time “Killer” used one of those was never. Another thing to note here is the fact that Andy moved the nice table cloth back so “Killer” wouldn’t cause any property damage. In these circles, I guess some things just get damaged.

144128190-L.jpg

The man was breaking bits left and right

144120903-L.jpg

Andy was getting pretty twisted with the way “Killer” was just breaking stuff like it belonged to Whip.

144120915-L.jpg

He managed to get the pieces cut but then he decided he needed to deburr the edges using one of the other pieces in the kit. We all know trouble is just around the corner folks.

144128666-L.jpg

Remember that nice clean table cloth?

144119988-L.jpg

Note to self, NEVER put a running power tool down on a nice table cloth that is folded to keep it out of the way.

144120781-L.jpg

Unfortunately, Matt was not in the area to blame so I think he told Andy that somehow it just jumped out of his hand.

144152763-L.jpg

I don’t think he bought it for a millisecond. Thank god the Mrs. Was out cutting hair.

144152911-L.jpg

You have to wonder if having panini’s for lunch means there is a link to that other syndicate? Blake and Mark seem to be hungry.

144150961-L.jpg

The Harbor Freight Motorcycle table is on sale now until April 23rd if you anyone is interested.

Something just wasn’t right to me. I mean where was all the bad things we know they were up to? I mean there had to be something not this simple going on.

144153271-L.jpg

Finally, I got someone who was willing to show me the dark side of the SLC tech daze….Of course he doesn’t want to be recognized. For purposes of this post lets just call him Mr. Thumbs.

We made up an excuse to go to the Checker Auto Store and Best Buy. Visions of Tony Soprano were flying through my head as we headed out to find the seedy side of Tech Daze.

144152936-L.jpg

So there is a Gentleman’s club in Salt Lake City….we just drove right on by. Not even a Bada Bing comment. In the end we did stop at Checker and got brake fluid. At least I think it was brake fluid. For all we really know, Thumbs was there to make a collection.

144168066-L.jpg

We got back and Matt decided to bleed his brakes on the ST. Of course nobody made fun of the ST’s beautiful headlight

144153269-L.jpg

Andy was so upset by this time, he was just sitting by himself and channeling 1BMWFan.

144242710-L.jpg

I know Twin Maxes aren’t legal in Utah!

144167757-L.jpg

From out of nowhere I was attacked for trying to give you, the reader, access to this world. Luckily I have sloth like reflexes and managed to absorb the blow.

144153100-L.jpg

144239259-L.jpg

I took the bat away with almost a ninja like move and “Killer” in near total panic, hopped on his RT (without putting the Tupperware back on even) and rode out. My guess he took the “Southern Exposure” route.

144243234-L.jpg

Tell you what the man is a magician when it comes to wrenching and more importantly he can teach others giving them the confidence they need to mess with these expensive machines.

144241871-L.jpg

I think the ST looks better with all the stuff off, don’t you? grin.gif

144242678-L.jpg

After several hours the kids came out.

144168059-L.jpg

The little “Angel” herself….little did we know how challenging it would be to get this little Angel to go to sleep.

144242057-L.jpg

The mechanics all went in for dinner and let the kids clean up. Wonder what the Child labor laws are in Salt Lake. Actually Andy’s kids are great! And his wife is wonderful too!

144168159-L.jpg

After eating the fellows went out to finish Blakes Lights.

144239197-L.jpg

I have ordered a set of these this morning.

144239075-L.jpg

Clowning around with Dad

144167116-L.jpg

A long time ago in a galaxy far away…epic battles took place between the Empire and the Rebels.

144167812-L.jpg

It started out with “Killer” telling me that 1990 was 17 years ago. The little Angel couldn’t believe it either and I think this is why they didn’t want to go to bed.

144167397-L.jpg

Don’t tell me that look wouldn’t get you to give her an extra 30 minutes to stay up with the grown ups…

144167481-L.jpg

Others had less trouble sleeping

144238911-L.jpg

So we called it a night around midnight and settled into hearing bad jokes and laughing ourselves to sleep. The next morning I had to catch a flight home so I rousted Jamie at about 7am. He threaten me with repressing this story from you my readers. That is why I had to remind him of the Freedom of the press. Don’t make me post in AdvRider Jamie…I’ll do it!

144167201-L.jpg

I told Killer not to ride that darn pony all night.

144087670-L.jpg

Got back home early enough Sunday to go run some errands and tell the guys at Harbor Freight to hold me one of those lifts. What a fun day I had in SLC. I will be back up again to enjoy it some more.

Firefight911

They just get better and better!!

Nice work Hombre. Truly bummed I had to bow out on this one. bncry.gifbncry.gif

thumbsup.gifwave.gif

I wish I had known about that pony ride. I would have rescheduled the contruction.

Looks like a fun time was had by all.

It just goes to show ya, you don't have to ride to do a ride tale. Works for me.(At least it did last week)

Whip

Firefight911
It just goes to show ya, you don't have to ride to do a ride tale. Works for me.(At least it did last week)

Whip

Now, where is that Putz!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Great report. And surprisingly, it accurately displays what actually happened over the weekend. thumbsup.gif

I've got some pic's I'll post later.

Thanks for everyones help in pulling off an excellent Tech Daze. And a special thanks to Jamie for making the trip to be our tech guru.

Later...

I COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING!

That was sooooo well done Tom. Thank you Thank you!

There were so many excellent shots but this one.

144167201-L.jpg

HEY LADIES POPPA'S GOT SOME GOOD LOVIN RIGHT HERE WAITIN FOR YA!

tOO too FUNNY!!!!!!

Thanks, great pics and story...Helps put faces with names too.....Hope to get to a tech day soon....

Got to ax'a question......Why did Killer cut his cover in two?....Easier access for belt adjustment? confused.gif

Phil..........Redbrick

Belt access without side panel removal.

The funny thing is a HACKSAW would have done the job in 10 strokes without any plastic melt. Talk about the wrong tool for the job!

Still laughing lmao.gif

Belt access without side panel removal.

The funny thing is a HACKSAW would have done the job in 10 strokes without any plastic melt. Talk about the wrong tool for the job!

Still laughing lmao.gif

I tried a hacksaw first, wouldn't touch it, KMG then said he did his with a dremel tool. I cut it in half so that I can remove it by the roadside without having to remove the infamous "shark fin".
grizzly660fan

Great report Tom!

It was nice to meet you and Jamie! Also good to see those I have already met again! I had a great time. The bbque the night before was delicious, the event turned out great (I guess this being my first tech day) and it was fun to learn and watch (I didn't wrench on my bike, everything is current).

I feel like now I can do a valve adjust and throttle synch thanks to you guys. we just need a 3rd synch tool to confirm who's twinmax is correct Andy's or Bob's? ha ha ha

Thanks again all! I appreciate the info/help/teasing/fun/etc we had this weekend.

Garry

Great report Tom!

It was nice to meet you and Jamie! Also good to see those I have already met again! I had a great time. The bbque the night before was delicious, the event turned out great (I guess this being my first tech day) and it was fun to learn and watch (I didn't wrench on my bike, everything is current).

I feel like now I can do a valve adjust and throttle synch thanks to you guys. we just need a 3rd synch tool to confirm who's twinmax is correct Andy's or Bob's? ha ha ha

Thanks again all! I appreciate the info/help/teasing/fun/etc we had this weekend.

Garry

Hey don't be a twin max pusher!

Garry, it was awesome meeting you as well. I hope we get to ride together soon man. Anytime you are down South, make sure to look me up!

Tom

Great report Tom!

Garry

Get a Carbtune and do it right. grin.gif

Great report.

Some photos should have a warning about taking with food or drink. dopeslap.gif

Well folks, what can I say other than repeat what I've read over and over from others here: THIS BOARD ROCKS!!!!

I won't try to remember everyone's name (sorry Chris - lol), but from Jamie gracing us with his presence and knowledge, to Andy for being the host of all hosts, and to Tom for FLYING IN?! (are you freakin' nuts? dopeslap.giftongue.gif), what a GREAT weekend we had!! It was nice to finally spend some time with actual people, in person, as well as put names with faces instead of just bantering on the board (even though we did a lot of that too). smile.gif

Andy: I can't thank you enough for your more than ample generosity and support! From the "loaner", all the way to ignoring your bike and making sure that my work was completed before leaving (or would that be "getting out of your hair"? blush.gif)!

Jamie: Boy, where do I start? Words just don't cut it. From your kindness and guidance, to your efforts of getting my electrical working. I can't begin to thank you enough for everything you did, for everyone not just myself!!

I just may have to relinquish my razzing duties and retire "Nerdy-Jamie"... Hmm..., maybe I'll create a poll on that one instead...? thumbsup.gifplusone.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

All joking aside, you all really do rock, and you were but a handful! I can't IMAGINE what a larger Tech Daze would be like!!

Until Torrey..... wave.gif

Tom,

From out of nowhere I was attacked for trying to give you, the reader, access to this world. Luckily I have sloth like reflexes and managed to absorb the blow.
That was too damned funny! lmao.giflmao.gif

GREAT STORY and pics! thumbsup.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Well, it's a good thing your wit and your shutter finger are a lot quicker than your "sloth-like" reflexes! lmao.gif

It was a great pleasure to meet a bunch of the "Moroni-Town" Crew! wave.gif

I had a great time and it was also great to be back on the bike again after almost five months! tongue.gif

Thanks to Andy and Debi for opening up their home to a bunch of us Hoons . . . guess we taught him never to do THAT again! blush.gifgrin.gif

Thanks to all the rest for showing up sharing and the camaraderie . . . and to Tom for flying out just to journal the weekend for us. I'm ashamed to admit that my camera never left my tankbag! bncry.gif

Thanks also to Mark and Monika for their wonderful Gastfreundschaft on my way home! The horrible head winds on the way out were a nice tail wind on the way back (if laced with a bit of rain and temps into the 40's on the way back to St. George). thumbsup.gif

Today was a fast blast down the I-15 slab and home to my lovely wife who seemed to have aged a year while I was gone! grin.gif

I must've seen 15 LEO's on the way home today. It's SO nice to be back in CA where I get to pay $3.79 for oxygenated gas! tongue.gif

Even with the lowered mileage from the oxygenation, I still made it home the 250 miles from Baker with my light on only the last five miles or so (at a . . . sprightly pace! thumbsup.gif ). Gotta love those tailwinds! clap.gif

It's also nice to know that if I throw my back out at work, I'll always have a promising career as an auto shop teacher to fall back on! eek.gif

Love ya, Tom! cool.gif

Tom, that was a worthy exercise of your First Amendment rights. thumbsup.gif

You all were in my thoughts this weekend as I pondered my new-found ability to influence the weather through my trip planning.smirk.gif Next time I'll keep saying that I'm not going, right up until I hit the kill switch after pulling into the host's driveway.

bakerzdosen

Well, a hearty "two thumbs up" (because I can) for the trip report.

I've resisted posting since I haven't gotten my own pictures ready yet. This whole "real life" thing really gets in the way sometimes.

Thanks for the excellent narrative.

Sheesh! I fly in and you don't have no steenken Tech days! We know who rates around here.

Surely wish I had been there. I'll see Jamie in a couple weeks here on the right coast.

Archived