IGNORED

Looking at New RT

ndfellow

Well I've finally decided to upgrade my 2000 RT to a new RT. One question I have is add-on accessories: seats, tank bags, windshields, all the fun stuff.

How good is the stock seat? If I get the heated one am I going to be happy? My current 2000 has a Russel on it.

Tank Bag? Does anyone's tank bag fit this bike or only BMW's?

Windshield - currently a cee bailys +2, am I gonna wanna do that quick?

Radio Kit? I currently only use and IPod with my autocom unit that I'll probably move over, is the radio kit worth it?

Tire Monitoring? I'm a gadget guy but really?

ASC? Dunno what this is?

Anti-Theft - Not in ND wink.gif

Everything else looks like a must have!!!

Thanks in advance and if I do this I'll have a TON of 2000 RT stuff for sale

You'll be very happy with your 1200RT.

If you're used to a Russel seat, you have been pampered and will be quite miserable with the stock seat after roughly 300 miles. If you ride any longer than that on a regular basis, go for an Air Hawk cushion or a custom seat. I do have the heated seat option and find it quite comfortable on cooler days like we are experiencing right at this time in the Great White North (Canada). I upgraded my stock windscreen for a Z-Technik screen (higher and wider) as I'm 6'3" and the stock screen was just too small.

I'm very happy with this new screen. Most people on this site have mixed feelings about the value of the BMW stock radio. I don't have this option, having run out of cash right after I decided on the ESA suspension option bncry.gif

I do enjoy the ability to change the settings on the run.

Overall, a great bike and hopefully you'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

pat thumbsup.gif

Pat,

I upgraded from a 2000RT to the 2006RT and love it. The 2006 is better in nearly every aspect for me. The one down side is the seat however. I find the pillion seat is much higher and as we are both large, there is a lot of pressure into my back. I think the seat gap is much smaller on the 2006 as well. I have one with the lot, love the ESA and the larger top box. I also use a Touratech Tank Bag and the only thing i dont like about it is the map case is not double sided. However it should be said that the velcro system for the map case is much better. I suppose you cannot have everything.

Trade up - you wont regret it.

Cheers clap.gif

How good is the stock seat?

General opinion is to think about an upgrade. I use an Airhawk.

Tank Bag?

Still looking myself. probably will go with the BMW bag.

Windshield -

Some people have reported broken support brackets when going to larger screens. I expect someone will market more durable brackets. Myself, I'm find the stock screen fine, but am thinking about a short screen for summer use.

Radio Kit?

Many do not like the performance of the radio. Seems pricey to me.

Tire Monitoring? I'm a gadget guy but really?

Got TPM on mine. Designed to work when in motion and not when stationary. Not a substitute for regular checks, as main use is to let you know that you have a leak developing while riding.

ASC? Dunno what this is?

Automatic Stability Control (anti-skid system). Supposed to have been available in Feb 07 - don't believe any have been delivered as yet. Suspect "issues" have arisen with the system. I would avoid until proven over a year of production. Also, if you ordered ASC it might delay delivery. Sales guy would know.

Anti-Theft - Not in ND wink.gif

Everything else looks like a must have!!!

Definitely cruise control and the heated seats. OBC is nice but I don't use all that often unless on a boring road. Lots of debate on the auto suspension system - I went with stock shocks with the intention to upgrade to Ohlins at 15K.

Thanks in advance and if I do this I'll have a TON of 2000 RT stuff for sale

I just got a used 2006 RT to replace my 2000 RT, so here's my take:

>>How good is the stock seat? If I get the heated one am I going to be happy? My current 2000 has a Russel on it.

Awful. You'll need a new Russel. The stock seat is too springy and makes my butt bounce off the seat up everytime I hit a bump.

>>Tank Bag? Does anyone's tank bag fit this bike or only BMW's?

BMW's tank bag has been excellent for me. I found a clean used one.

>>Windshield - currently a cee bailys +2, am I gonna wanna do that quick?

I like the stock windshield, but a CB would be good for the cold. The R12RT definitely has reduced protection compared to the R11RT, mainly at the shoulders/upper arms and the feet.

>>Radio Kit? I currently only use and IPod with my autocom unit that I'll probably move over, is the radio kit worth it?

My used bike came with a radio. It's very cool but it's pretty useless above about 40mph. It might be nice if you could rig the Autocom to it.

>>Tire Monitoring? I'm a gadget guy but really?

Matter of gadgetry taste. I check my tires regularly.

>>ASC? Dunno what this is?

Unlike ABS that almost everybody wants, I think ASC something BMW is trying to get people to want.

You're very lucky that the 2007 has non-powered brakes like your 2000. I hate the servo busy-brake R2D2 noises on my 06 and the way it dims the headlight as it draws power. Also, you might not like the exhaust tone compared to the 2000 (I don't). I could write a list of more niggling complaints... but I'm too busy riding.

>Well I've finally decided to upgrade my 2000 RT to a new RT. One question I have is add-on accessories: seats, tank bags, windshields, all the fun stuff.

>How good is the stock seat? If I get the heated one am I going to be happy? My current 2000 has a Russel on it.

Don't know about the standard seat, but my low seat is agony after 100 miles.

>Radio Kit? I currently only use and IPod with my autocom unit that I'll probably move over, is the radio kit worth it?

It seems like satisfaction with the OEM radio is related to height. I find at 5"10" with a low seat, I can easily hear the radio at highway speeds if the windshield is properly adjusted. Taller riders often report otherwise.

>ASC? Dunno what this is?

Doesn't this help prevent accidental wheelies - the scourge of BMW riders everywhere?

>Everything else looks like a must have!!!

>Thanks in advance and if I do this I'll have a TON of 2000 RT stuff for sale

While I moved from a GoldWing to a 1200RT, I'm sure you'll find it a great improvement over your 2000. Enjoy!!

Tom

bobanddianne

We have a new '07RT cool.gif

Wife and I are both content with the seats. One thing that helps any seat is to change positions regularly, slide to the front, then middle, to the back, etc., etc. possibly every fifteen minutes.

Regfarding the Tire Pressure display:

We were unfortunate enough to get two nails in the rear tires of our RS... and only one month apart. Now I am admittedly a bit gun shy about tire pressures. Here in the LA area we have so many pavement joints that go diagonally accros the lane (after years of repair and design upgrades)(plus rain grooves)( and misc. side slopes when two segments of different hieghts are joined together) that occasionally cause a slight uncertainness in the track of the bike.

When that happens, the memory of the nails in the tires flashes in my brain... and it is SOOO pleasent to be able to check the tire pressures IMMEDIATELY, and not just some time down the road.

So the Tire Pressure Display gets a big thumbs up from us. thumbsup.gif

I seem to be in the minority with the seat but I did 420 miles in one day last week and the stock seat is fine for me. I had a Rick Mayer on my 1150 and it was much better than the stock seat which I couldn't stand. My wife is also good with the stock pillion seat. I'm 5'11'' and 175lbs.

I also have the Z technik windshield and like it a lot as well.

I can't say enough about this bike it is better in every way than my 1150 which was a great bike.

Bill 07 R1200RT

... and it is SOOO pleasent to be able to check the tire pressures IMMEDIATELY, and not just some time down the road.

That's the ONE accessory on the new RT's that I wish I could have on my '06.

Well it is official, I just ordered up my 2007 RT. I was really amazed however checking with 3 dealerships no price how close 2 of them were and how much less the 3rd was. They really wanted the business and do a lot of BMW sales as well as have one of the best tech's in the area so I'm happy with my decision. Looking forward to being a hex head and learning more everyday!!!!!

PS - it took everyone days to figure out what the chrome exaust option was from BMW. If you don't know it is an entire new exaust kit so your entire system is chromed and not just the rear muffler. I really wanted it as I hate the discolored look that you get on the non-chrome ones but the $135 add on installed is about $700. YIKES!!!

Brightly colored exhaust pipes have been a BMW boxer badge of honor for years - probably since 1923. Just means you don't have the extra weight of double walled pipes or the lighter wallet of the $135+700 chrome option!

Enjoy your new RT!

PS - it took everyone days to figure out what the chrome exhaust option was from BMW. If you don't know it is an entire new exhaust kit so your entire system is chromed and not just the rear muffler. I really wanted it as I hate the discolored look that you get on the non-chrome ones but the $135 add on installed is about $700. YIKES!!!

I had the "Chrome" option on my previous 1200RT(which was totalled in Dec). The headers turned brown in short order; so in reality, only the muffler is chrome.

When I went shopping for my replacement, I decided on the stock exhaust(brushed stainless). I saved some money and I actually prefer the look over the chrome.

Another forum member(1BMWFAN I think) removed his headers and had them ceramic coated. That's the only way to prevent the headers from discoloring.

... and it is SOOO pleasent to be able to check the tire pressures IMMEDIATELY, and not just some time down the road.

That's the ONE accessory on the new RT's that I wish I could have on my '06.

IIRC, Z-Technic has an aftermarket TPM system you can add.

I really wanted it as I hate the discolored look that you get on the non-chrome ones but the $135 add on installed is about $700. YIKES!!!

You will find that within about 10 minutes of driving off the showroom, the "chrome" exhaust pipes will discolor just like the non-chrome ones. I had mine ceramic coated at performancecoatings.com for about $130, and have been very pleased with the appearance even 18,000 miles later.

Jay

sebjones906

Pulled a nail out of my rear tire. Luckily it didn't go clear thru. Being able to monitor the air pressure while on the go put my mind at ease.

I use the adjustable suspension button and the adjustable windscreen button every time I get on the bike... love them. I am 5'8 and the stock windscreen is perfect.

The Seat ... well ... I am still messing with it. I don't want to get an aftermarket seat until I have exhausted all possibilities.

+++ for the heater seat, front and rear and heated grips.

The fact that they got rid of the power brake servo sold me.

The more I ride it the better I like it.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Sorry to jump in here but did you have to polish the pipes up before you had them coated? I am interested in getting the ceramic coating, more than likely I will wait until late fall.

Sorry to jump in here but did you have to polish the pipes up before you had them coated? I am interested in getting the ceramic coating, more than likely I will wait until late fall.

The pipes get sandblasted prior to coating being applied. You shouldn't need to polish them prior to sending them.

>>>Ceramic Coating Description<<<

clap.gif Congrats on the new RT! You forgot to add one more thing(s) to your list.... secure those mirrors!

Zip ties, fishing line, small cable...something before they become road toast.

Enjoy the new bike and send pics! thumbsup.gif

With regarded to tethering the mirrors on the R1200RT, just yesterday the service manager at a local BMW dealership suggested to me NOT to tether the mirrors. He said that he has not seen an instance when an R12RT mirror dropped off while riding, and that if one did, the damage inflicted on a fairing panel by a tethered mirror could exceed the mirror replacement cost.

Fortunately, I have no experience R12RT mirror loss. Any specific experiences out there?

What a change, 10 miles, it didn't even take that long for this bike to stay underneath me forever.

Cruise, how did I ever live with out that?

Wind Protection seems very good compared to the old RT

Harder to dry when washing due to all the curves and area's that are small.

Seat - well that's going to get replaced in the off season

IMG_3510%20(Medium).JPG

• 1 month later...
With regarded to tethering the mirrors on the R1200RT, just yesterday the service manager at a local BMW dealership suggested to me NOT to tether the mirrors. He said that he has not seen an instance when an R12RT mirror dropped off while riding, and that if one did, the damage inflicted on a fairing panel by a tethered mirror could exceed the mirror replacement cost.

Fortunately, I have no experience R12RT mirror loss. Any specific experiences out there?

Lost the mirror on my RT last nite, just got on the interstate went maybe 1/4 mile looked down and r mirror was gone. Turned around and found it unharmed, and reinstalled. (got lucky) So it can happen. I think if it was tethered and dropped I don't think it would bounce that badly before you could pull over and remount and more than likely if you had it tethered it would never drop, (murhpy's law)

When I got my 2006 R1200RT back from the moving company, the right mirror fell off the first time I pulled away from a stop light. I went around the block and stopped in the middle of the road to pick it up. Fortunately, I live in a small down and people are used to such shenanigans (like horses on main street).

Seems the bike had been secured with the mirror against the wall of the truck and had been pushed out of the mount. No problem since I put it back on.

Archived