IGNORED

Rear brake pads-Never trust an engineer!

BeniciaRT_GT

BeniciaRT_GT

I just replaced my rear pads at 30K, and strangely, the fronts still look okay.

I'm trying out smugmug for pictures, so I posted the article there. Link here!

Quick and easy but very close to too late!!!

What really chaps my leathers is the pads were $125

I'm sure they are expensive partly because of the worthless sensor. Pretty expensive for something that seems to cause everyone headaches by either triggering the warning too soon, or not at all.

The holes in the pads/calipers didn't work either, so I think it is a quality control problem from the manufacturer/vendor. I'm sure both systems could work as advertised, but the pads are too inconsistently made.

duckbubbles

It's been my experience that aftermarket pad cost sometimes 1/3 of the BMW pads. Maybe aftermarket pads aren't available for your bike.

Frank

BeniciaRT_GT

I don't think so, but I haven't done serious research. I needed the pads right away.

With the sensor as part of the pad, I'm not confident they are out there yet, and I'd be suspect of their quality control even more than the oem pads...

Good info, thanks. One of the admins needs to add your smugmug write up as a link in the faq because that is a great write up of brake pad changing on the new bikes. I havn't checked but I'm guessing the hexheads use the same brakes.

I just replaced my rear pads at 30K, and strangely, the fronts still look okay.

Nice to know that some of the characteristics of the old K's carried over to the new ones. grin.gif

Since I bought the Brick a year and a half ago, the back pads have been replaced twice. The fronts, not even once yet.

Carnadero:

Use the front brake more and lay off of your right foot! I go through front pads faster than rears.

Now if BMW could just get their brakes to stop squealing!

Carnadero:

Use the front brake more and lay off of your right foot! I go through front pads faster than rears.

Now if BMW could just get their brakes to stop squealing!

Impossible if you have linked brakes.

My experience on my K1200RS shows that I changed the rear pads every 12,000 miles. Sold the bike last year and never had to change the fronts!

• 4 weeks later...
BeniciaRT_GT

Okay, I got my bike back from the rear drive failure, and got to take the pictures I wanted to fix my how-to write up on smug mug.

Bigger and better now, so Y'all let me know if I need to change anything and I'll update it.

Boy, this thread fell off in less than a month, no wonder there don't ever seem to be many posts in the K-bike forum, they all fall off in a few weeks!!!

These new model "K" bikes are supposed to toss the Gen. 1 bikes back into the stone age given their power, handling and engineering(you can keep your can-bus system). So far, I have my doubts.

Your isn't the first "new" rear drive failure and $125.00 for one set of pads (damn where's the KY??). Oh, I almost forgot the computer up-grades.

I think I'll hang onto my '04 KRS for a while longer.

I did a bit of research on this and noticed that EBC lists a different part number got the left and right pads for the new K1200GT.

The left pad part number is the same as for the K1200S pads (both sides). This leads me to believe that the right side is only different because of the sensor. Since it is unlikely that the entire caliper on the right side is changed and requires a different shape of pad, just because the sensor is present, you can probably use identical EBC FA335HH pads on BOTH sides of the GT's front end ...just like the K1200S does (if you don't care about the sensor).

BMW wants $125 for the right pad set (with sensor) and $80 for the left side front (no sensor). EBC's left side set (FA335HH) which will probably fit both sides if you don't care about the sensor, typically goes for $30-$35 a set.

Most dealers don't seem to have a listing for the new GT's pads (maybe they are slow to revise their price tables online?). They do list prices for the K1200S pads, and this was where I got the typical price for the EBC FA335HH pad used on the left side of the left side of the GT, and both sides of the S. The EBC part number for the right side (where the sensor is fitted) is FA441HH, but I was unable to find any dealer pricing online.

As for the rear, EBS lists this as FA338HH. I suspect that the MUCH cheaper EBC FA363HH pads that are used on both the K1200S and R, will also fit the rear of the GT if you don't care about the sensor.

If the sensor is like the one fitted to a BMW car I had, it is just a wire that gets worn through when the pads get thin. If so, you can short out the sensor terminals to extinguish the warning light.

But BMW's price of $125US for a pair of crummy pads is bloody robbery!

russell_bynum

I agree with RFW.

I'd short the sensor wire (since it doesn't seem to work anyway) and go with EBC pads....which are probably better than the BMW pads anyway.

Further to my comments above, it is interesting that the part numbers listed at the MAX BMW site for the new GT's left and right calipers, are EXACTLY the same as those on the K1200S. So if the wear sensor is not wanted, it appears that there is no reason that the "S" front pads cannot fit the GT.

Strangely, the rear caliper part numbers are different between the GT and the S. Is this just a minor modification to the caliper that makes no difference? It would make no sense to use a different and incompatible caliper on the GT as on the S, considering the front ones are interchangeable and the bikes are otherwise so similar.

BeniciaRT_GT

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That is just the info I need! I'll use the old pad sensor for the continuity required, and use EBC pads next time!

Thank you for the info!!!

I love this place!!!!

Archived