IGNORED

Dang-it! Made a HUGE mistake....

KTsRidin

Lone_RT_rider
Is it the weekend yet?? lurker.gif

lmao.gif

Anyone have anymore "Orville's Deadintherocker" ?...

I am just about out of popcorn here!

Shawn

lurker.gif

(Actually, he died in a bathtub . . . DAMHIK. crazy.gif )

/hijack

Here ya go, buddy! lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

No if we only had some "liquid bread" to wash all this popcorn down with! grin.gif

No kidding - the weekend couldn't come quick enough.... for a number of reasons.

Weatherman says the weekend will be in the upper 50's-low 60's... perfect thumbsup.gif

Perhaps I'll stop by Thursday evening since they are open late... but then, maybe I should just wait... but then, why delay it any longer????? dopeslap.gif

Dear God - is it the weekend YET?! bncry.gif

(Actually, he died in a bathtub . . . DAMHIK. crazy.gif )

Ok that is definitely a visual I did not need. eek.gif

On the original topic, as long as you can afford it and you waited the 24 hrs, I'd normally buy the bike. However, keep in mind that first year bikes from BMW are FULL of bugs and things that get changed in future builds. I think there's been three different builds of the new K1200GT's since they were introduced a year ago. And that was with most of the bike already being sold in two other forms so you wouldn't think it would be so buggy. On the new F800 bikes being all new from the ground up you may want to wait the year so you're not working out the bugs in the bike for BMW.

Paul Mihalka

Kirsten, F800ST move real fast. When I get them at work, they come in one day and leave the next. If you know you want it, call the dealer and give him a $500 credit card deposit over the phone. Very frustrating if you go there to buy it and the bike is sold tongue.gif.

KT,

What's with this work stuff???

Priorities!!!!

Your bike is down there getting old sitting in a stranger's home!

looking...

looking...

Found some more popcorn!

Mr. Bone, wanna share???

hANNAbONE - sTILL hERE.. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Lone_RT_rider
... How many people have an SO telling you to buy a bike thumbsup.gif

That would be me! Ta Daaaaaaa! thumbsup.gif

Yeah, me to! If I listened to her all the time, retirement would end up being a single-wide with nightly meals of Bulk oatmeal. crazy.gifdopeslap.gif

Shawn

Yeah, me to! If I listened to her all the time, retirement would end up being a single-wide with nightly meals of Bulk oatmeal.

Shawn

Yeah, but if all I ate was oatmeal I would lose wieght and then ALL of the motorcycles would be FASTER!!!!! This is a good plan! lmao.gif

Okay - so here's the ride report.....

Saturday, Jennifer and I rode on my 111K mile, stalwart stead (a.k.a. 97' R1100RT) to test ride two-up on the F800ST.

F800ST: Given the weight to HP ratio, it seems to have as much power and pull as the 1100RT. thumbsup.gif Oddly, Jennifer said the smaller seat wasn't that bad. "It's softer than the RT," was her comeback. eek.gif

We took it on curvy roads, in some lighter traffic and at highway speeds. General consensus....

thumbsup.gif This is a really nice bike and would certainly work as a commuter and for shorter (200 mile or so) trips two-up. But, the wind exposure would make it more difficult to do longer trips.

After dropping Jennifer off at the house, I went out onto the highway and did some more "spirited" smirk.gif riding through traffic. Great ride. Nimble while still maintaining a sense of confidence would kind of say what I was thinking.

When I got back to the dealership, it turned out that Jennifer had suggested to the staff that I take out a new 07 R1200RT. ooo.gif Well, I had to do what I was told tongue.gif so off I went.

R1200RT: The second I got on it I thought, "Yep, this feels familiar." And here I'd been thinking for so long I'd feel more comfortable on a smaller bike. dopeslap.gif It seemed odd to me that I instantly felt more comfortable on the bigger one. Not long down the road I learned the joys of "real" cruise control. While I have a hard time keeping my bike under 75 mph, I had a hard time keeping this one under 85! crazy.gif Cruise control would help keep me out of radar range on those long, open routes. All the "bells and whistles" are really nice, but I was surprised how much this engine felt like my "buzzy" RT. Guess I expected it to be smoother.

So, rolling back into the dealership I knew I wasn't going to give up my RT just yet. The old RT is a great bike and I think she still has a few mile in her. thumbsup.gif

But, I also know I'm ready to have something smaller to commute (almost 90 miles everyday) to the office with.....

and so.....

grin.gif Next Saturday I will take delivery on my very first new bike. grin.gif Yes, I don't have to have it. Yes, it's a lot of money and I could save by waiting for something used (or getting a different bike). But, in the end, I realized I could buy a new, blue, F800ST and still feel like I hadn't made a HUGE mistake. clap.gif

Endnote: Sunday was spent cleaning the garage and starting to put together a workbench for myself. Little did I know what buying a new bike would do for getting me to clear out the clutter. Perhaps that was Jennifer's motivation all along. dopeslap.gifeek.gif

As always, thank you all so much for your thoughts, insights and "words of wisdom"... um, ooo.gif yeah, that's it lmao.gif

Sorry to make you all get fat eating so much popcorn,

Kirsten

Firefight911

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I did the same test ride (650 & 800st) and LOVED the F800ST!! I am soooo jealous!! Enjoy!! grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Congrats Kirstin! And don't worry, some of us are already fat...the popcorn couldn't make it much worse... lol.

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

Kirsten, congrats! I love the F800ST. If my next bike (I hope soon) is a new one it will be that. Then I prep it to be a RT-Xtralite. But with me it will be to Torrey etc. God willing and the creeks don't rise, and this oold body holds together.

lurker.giflurker.gifaWESOME...I'm so sick of popcone right now I could just... tongue.giftongue.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Congrat's on the new sled..

"Blue Flame" --- then ...right?? thumbsup.gif

"Blue Flame"... we'll see. Perhaps once you all meet the new ride you can help with a name.

OMG - dopeslap.gif- what am I saying?!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Kirsten, congrats! I love the F800ST. If my next bike (I hope soon) is a new one it will be that. Then I prep it to be a RT-Xtralite. But with me it will be to Torrey etc. God willing and the creeks don't rise, and this oold body holds together.

K

I think all this talk about a new 800 has got our man Paul talking about going to Torrey after all and on a new bike to boot.

Great Job!!!!

Hope to see you both soon

Whip

BTW......

If not the Blue Flame how bout

Blue Diamond

Blue Streak

Blue Ribbon

First Place

Blue By U

sapphire

lapis

tanzanite......

Okay I'm bored...later

Geez, now you all got me going on a cool name..... (no Whip, I'm not trying to encourage you blush.gif )

I like the superhero theme... Saturday CAN NOT come soon enough.

Paul - sorry it will be a bit, but hope it all works out for you.

Turning blue holding my breath waiting for Saturday thumbsup.gif

Kirsten

BeniciaRT_GT
Ah, if I only had a rich sugar daddy... anyone availabe?

statements that make me say:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just saw this post and had to comment on that before I read the whole post!)

As to the bike, Paul is right, if you get 20 mpg better for $12K vs. no payments, how long is it before you get your money back?

You better try a much better argument to justify your want

By the way, I say GO FOR IT!!!

BeniciaRT_GT

So you picked the slow color! I guess that is okay, but you really should have gotten silver.

If you wanted smoother AND protection, you should have took a ride on a GT before you left the dealer.

Water under the bridge now. Go get 'em girl!!!

Enjoy, and post

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

and more

Pictures

There's NO way I'm getting on a K1200. I already have problems keeping the speed something reasonable (at least by legal standards) blush.gif

Stand by for the photos... they're coming soon thumbsup.gif

Still disappointed you're not filling in as my sugar-daddy smirk.gif But at least I've got my "sugar mama" dopeslap.gif

One day, 14 hours and counting clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

wave.gif Well, I went, my mom shelled out the bucks (at least a bit for the down thumbsup.gif) and the baby is home. It's a beautiful, blue ride that wouldn't let me get home before putting on over 100 miles. I'm already set-up for my 600 mile service. I planned on next Saturday, but I might have to get her in sooner grin.gif

Seriously, this is one fine bike that is a blast to ride.

So......

147660191-M.jpg

Pretty good looking... of course I'm talking about the bike! Steve Anderson looks almost as happy as me grin.gif

147660185-M.jpg

The old war horse and the new colt. I'm SOOOOOO glad I'm keeping both.

As soon as I get a chance, I'll do more of a ride report and some photos clap.gif

And just in case you are wondering, here's my mom... she got into the spirit too. And no, she's not looking to adopt.

147660189-M.jpg And she only needed a two-step stool to make it on.

Jerry_75_Guy

147660185-M.jpg

The old war horse and the new colt. I'm SOOOOOO glad I'm keeping both.

Beautiful shot!! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

The 800's performance and lighter weight create a great counter point to the RT's specs; they compliment each other well.

Being able to walk into your garage and have to 'choose' is a beautiful thing grin.gif

Those are a couple of sweet looking rides !

Tool Cool and cruel, posting pictures of your wonderful new bike. I want to talk with the moderators about not posting new bike pictures. It just makes the rest of us green with envy.

Ok who am I fool'n. I'm glad you got a new bike so I can say to my self and convince wife with, "hey everybody on the board has a new bike, but me. It's time I added a new bike to the garage." Yeah that's the ticket. Y'all keep buying and posting pictures of your new bikes. Meanwhile, I'll try and get my trustsy 97 R1100Rt out on the road more than I have the last three riding seasons. Oh yeah congrats on the new bike. clap.gif I thought you wanted the fast color? tongue.gifthumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Archived