IGNORED

Dang-it! Made a HUGE mistake....

KTsRidin

First - sorry I haven't been on much, but I've got dial-up at home and a new/higher demanding job (stories for another time). But my silence doesn't mean I haven't been riding.

After I rolled over 100,000 miles back in November, I got to thinking about the new bikes coming out... actually, Jennifer suggested I should start looking grin.gif

I made a HUGE mistake yesterday.

Twice a year Jennifer and I help out the local dealership with the demo rides by signing up riders and talking about the newer models. So, this year it's the G650s and F800s. While I usually don't get to ride, the crummy weather meant less folks an a few opportunities for me.

I rode the G650xCountry... good if I was a dirty person smirk.gif ... then I made the mistake... I rode the F800ST. Holy cr@p Batman eek.gif

It was nimble, had as much HP as my R1100RT and is a lot lighter. Then I found out it gets over 60 mpg and service costs are half of the RT, geez, now I'm all torn up.

I love my RT. I it ride every day back and forth to work. But the ST would mean spending a lot less commuting. The dilemma, I never envisioned myself as a person with two bikes.

crazy.gif HELP!!! crazy.gif

Your collective esteemed advise would be most appreciated thumbsup.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Kirsten

Do it KT! grin.gif

Would I tell you wrong? dopeslap.gif Expect to see it in your garage when I see you two either before or after the UN. wave.gif

Wisdom...not from me. eek.gif

The dilemma, I never envisioned myself as a person with two bikes.

Kirsten

Simple Kirsten.

You buy the F800ST & give it to me smile.gif

That way you will only have one bike & I will have..........

Well never mind that tongue.gif

Seriously half again the MPG (60 vs 40) with todays & who knows what tomorrow prices sounds good especially if you have a substantial commute.

How big is the alternator? My wife had a F650CS & it had insufficient power for the Moto Lights I put on it.

If it has the electrical power & you lack the will power,

I say more power to you.... or would that be about the same power confused.gifgrin.gif

You guys are as bad as Jennifer. She just told me I could consider getting the ST as incentive to clean up the garage.

And no, I'm not getting a bike and giving it away (ala Marty tongue.gif) just because I have a counting issue dopeslap.gif

And really, what AM I thinking crazy.gif ??? How many people have an SO telling you to buy a bike thumbsup.gif

Okay, so.... blue or matte silver .... which color is faster clap.gif

Firefight911
You can buy a lot of gas for $10,000.00, the price of a new bike.

Paul made a funny!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

You can't buy an ST for $10k. Closer to $15k!

On another thought, BUY it! You won't regret it!!! thumbsup.gif

I love my RT. I it ride every day back and forth to work. But the ST would mean spending a lot less commuting. The dilemma, I never envisioned myself as a person with two bikes.

Kirsten

Go for it, clean up the garage and enjoy. Most folks have 2 cars, why not 2 bikes? clap.gif

Yeah, I'm figuring over 12K... and Paul has a point. But, dang-it, that bike is FUN!

F800ST = $12,000

Farkle = $ 1,000

FUN = Priceless....

Now, the serious question about power still needs to be answered (as does the one about which color smirk.gif)

Ah, if I only had a rich sugar daddy... anyone availabe?

Firefight911
Ah, if I only had a rich sugar daddy... anyone availabe?

Oh boy!!!!! This thread is headed down hill fast!!!!!!!!

Let's see??????? Wurty, Benicia, . . . lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

I'm kinda with Paul on this one; with the $$$ you'll spend, even after the trade in, you could buy a lot of gas for trips etc., which is why we have bikes in the first place.

However...

Life is short, and if you have the $$$ to do it without pinching yourself, and you really want the bike...go for it, seriously.

However...

Just to muddy the waters a little further; if $$$ is an issue, but you really do want a bike with those type of specs (light, fun, fast, high mileage, nimble), you might want to consider a lightly used VFR. I bought my used 2001 VFR for less than half the cost of the new Beemer you're looking at, and I love it. It does everything I ask of it and more, and I average ~52mpg (and I don't skimp on the throttle, if ya know what I mean thumbsup.gif).

If you want the performance, you can get it Much cheaper than the new BMW, but if you want the specific bike there's nothin' wrong with that!; go get it wink.gif

Lets_Play_Two
First - sorry I haven't been on much, but I've got dial-up at home and a new/higher demanding job (stories for another time). But my silence doesn't mean I haven't been riding.

After I rolled over 100,000 miles back in November, I got to thinking about the new bikes coming out... actually, Jennifer suggested I should start looking grin.gif

I made a HUGE mistake yesterday.

Twice a year Jennifer and I help out the local dealership with the demo rides by signing up riders and talking about the newer models. So, this year it's the G650s and F800s. While I usually don't get to ride, the crummy weather meant less folks an a few opportunities for me.

I rode the G650xCountry... good if I was a dirty person smirk.gif ... then I made the mistake... I rode the F800ST. Holy cr@p Batman eek.gif

It was nimble, had as much HP as my R1100RT and is a lot lighter. Then I found out it gets over 60 mpg and service costs are half of the RT, geez, now I'm all torn up.

Kirsten

I rode the 800ST yesterday at an open house. It won't draw me away from the 1200GT but I liked the bike. It has some get up and go and it is light weight. I'm not sure if I could ride it long distances with the high placement of the pegs and it would need a larger windscreen, but I liked it! It would be a perfect second bike (If I didn't already have three)

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

KT.. everyone knows that Blue is the very fastest color.. grin.gif but Silver isn't that far behind.. hence, my blue and silver K12RS. clap.giflmao.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Blue Label Johnny Walker vs Silver Label Patron....

I'd go with the Blue.........a Stich to match and one of those new Shoei Multitecs (All in Blue).

and then change your name to the "Blue_Flame"

Whip

Paul Mihalka

I'm a bit far from thinking about a replacement bike for my dear RT-lite, but if I buy new, the F800ST would be on top of my list, even for extended touring. Would I call it RT-Xtralite?

So Kirsten,

What color is the new ride???

What? You don't have it yet???

What are you wasting time here for... Go down and buy that puppy now!

Time's a wastin'............

Then I found out it gets over 60 mpg and service costs are half of the RT, geez, now I'm all torn up.
You will never make up the cost of a new bike in saving on gas & maintenance so get that part out of your mind. A fun rationalization, but beyond that it just doesn't hold up.

That said, there's nothing wrong with buying the bike because you just want it. My personal view is that it's too expensive to be a pure impulse purpose, but if you still want it after a cool-down period (and you can afford it) then... why not...

As usual, you guys are giving me a lot to think about....

* Blue vs. Silver via libation rationalzation... thumbsup.gif nice one Whip!

* Get just as good a solution for much cheaper by buying a used-non-BMW kicking good bike crazy.gif?!

* Playing the numbers... new vs. the cost of what I have, geez but I had having to face facts. Can't we all just live in our own fantasies? Oh, yeah, we do lmao.gif!

* Impulse buying - not good. Honeymoon over and you are still jonezin' for the ride? Smoke 'em if you got 'em! ooo.gif

So, here I am, wasting the day procrastinating (while I should be doing the taxes I didn't get done because I was in Mexico putting 6,000 miles on my RT). I'm not a "quick to act" kind of person on such matters so I don't think I'll be at the shop on Tuesday when it opens up... but I did already call my mom (is that still legal at my age eek.gif) to tell her what a great bike I just rode.

Feel free to keep you sage advice coming while I contemplate this matter some more. And where is my sugar daddy - RICHARD, where are you?! grin.gif

Firefight911

Can't wait until my bride sees this thread and chimes in about her experience when she rode it.

She still hasn't stopped grinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**Inner Voice** Buy it, buy it. You want it, you want it.

Hee, hee, hee. wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

H C Edwards

I too went to an open house yesterday, mainly to ride a K12GT. I thought it would blow my socks off, but oddly, it underwhelmed me. They also had an F800 in the test fleet (I would have preferred the ST, which they had on the showroom, but not in the test group.) The first thing that struck me was how good it looked. The photos don't do it justice. During the test ride (they kept the group down under 70 mph this year) I couldn't get over how much I liked the feel and the sound of that engine. Very cool. Seems kind of a steep price, though. But heck, go for it.

yOU kIDDIN'... dopeslap.gif

First take a shot or two of Green apple "pucker" and settle down eek.gifeek.gif...next get the check book out (it only hurts for a little while) thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif.... then get yourself a new helmet to match that slinky new 800 speed-rod.! clap.gifclap.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Tah-Dah.. clap.gifclap.gif

you did it --.! lurker.giflurker.gif waiting to hear if it happened..!

Good Luck..!

I'm a bit far from thinking about a replacement bike for my dear RT-lite, but if I buy new, the F800ST would be on top of my list, even for extended touring. Would I call it RT-Xtralite?

Quite a statement from someone who "hasn't given a thought". wink.gif

I think the little ST would be a fine touring bike. The luggage holds quite a bit, and could add a bag on the rack behind the rear seat. Weather protection looks ok. Heated grips, abs... thumbsup.gif

Break even point is somewhere around 453,261 miles.

Piece of cake.

Go for it.

clap.gif

Enjoy the new bike, it ain't about the $$$. thumbsup.gif

Oh, my, gosh! How could I not have thought about pounding a little "Pucker" to clear my head?! dopeslap.gif

So, I'm getting over the idea that I'd actually save money by spending money crazy.gif (but I do come by that honestly... my Mom's reaction was to note that you could get $500 worth of accessories with a new bike purchase). Now I'm to the, "is the price worth what I think I might get out of this and is the ST likely to replace the RT as my overall bike?" All I can say is, "Thank God the shop is closed on Mondays!" thumbsup.gif

What I've learned so far wink.gif:

crazy.gif Breath, just breath.

confused.gif If the feeling of exhilaration is still there, contemplate your checkbook.

frown.gif Don't, repeat, don't bother wasting Grey matter trying to convince yourself or others this would be a long-term "sound" financial move. Face the facts, you CAN live without it.

thumbsup.gif Given all of the above, if you still are thinking about the bike more than 24-hours later, plan on another test ride in your future to confirm/deny your exhilaration at riding something new.

dopeslap.gif If your SO gives you the thumbs up and you still didn't pull the trigger... you're an idiot eek.gif

and finally,

grin.gif People on this board own way more bikes then I ever will, so get over it grin.gif

Tune in next time when our leading lady says, "but can I get it in green with a gold pin stripe?"

Tune in next time when our leading lady says, "but can I get it in green with a gold pin stripe?"

Go Packers!!! .........or is that Pucker

Too bad that dealers closed.....they could already be mixing the paint.

Whip

Blue I'd go with the Blue.........a Stich to match and one of those new Shoei Multitecs (All in Blue).

and then change your name to the "Blue_Flame"

or "Smurf".

lmao.gif

Life is short, it's only money, blue is the classiest color, this sport is all about maximum fun, and we always regret more the things we didn't do than the things we did do. In short: do it.

Paul Mihalka

Kirsten, if you decide to do it and plan to finance it, do it before the end of April. 4.9% no down payment financing from BMW to the end of the month.

Break even point is somewhere around 453,261 miles.

Piece of cake.

Go for it.

clap.gif

Enjoy the new bike, it ain't about the $$$. thumbsup.gif

Likely the break even point will be reached (unless gas prices get real crazy) but...

(a) 25+% is not bad

(b) the RT has 100k & will likely have major issues in the next 100k.

Use the 800ST for the short haul & save the RT for the longer trips.

Bill_Walker

KT, your RT is TEN YEARS OLD, fer crying out loud! Ånd has how many miles on it?

Of course you should get a new bike! Why, it's practically unAmerican to keep your old bike any longer!

Wow, a break even point over 400k? I'm not Paul you know grin.gif

But now I'm just pained. I took an oath of office, once with the Navy and again for the Feds and now I'm "unAmerican" bncry.gif By God, I'd better just march myself down there and buy that German bike to regain my patriotism wink.gif

In reading your thoughts to Jennifer, she just keeps saying, "That's what I said! Don't you ever listen to me?"

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me lmao.gif

Taxes are done, shop opens tomorrow, and there's a few days left until the promotional % goes away. I've never bought a new bike, and if I do, I'm sure I'll find some way to regret it, but not for some time...

Stay tuned lurker.gif

Likely the break even point will be reached

I meant

Likely the break even point will NOT be reached dopeslap.gif

What about the electrical output on this bike?

Anyone know confused.gif

Paul Mihalka
What about the electrical output on this bike?

Anyone know confused.gif

400 watts. You probably have to choose between Gerbings and driving lights.

In reading your thoughts to Jennifer, she just keeps saying, "That's what I said! Don't you ever listen to me?"

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me lmao.gif

Taxes are done, shop opens tomorrow, and there's a few days left until the promotional % goes away. I've never bought a new bike, and if I do, I'm sure I'll find some way to regret it, but not for some time...

Stay tuned lurker.gif

Nah, you won't regret it. smile.gif After my first bike I kept telling myself I was going to buy used. I have yet to buy a used bike. No regrets so far. As someone else mentioned, you can't take it with you.

I keep getting in trouble with my SO. He seems to think I always need outside confirmation, I can't just take his word for something. Guess I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. dopeslap.gif

Go for it. New is fun. Everyone should have a new bike at least once!

In just over 12 hours, your local dealer will open........... lurker.gif

Kirsten, You've had time to get to the dealer, buy the bike, and post about it here. We're all waiting..... grin.gifthumbsup.gif

ooo.gif Geez, as someone put it so well.... "you work hard" blush.gif

And that's what I've been doing all day (in between still thinking about the bike crazy.gif). First chance to get in a real "confirmation" longer distance ride would be this weekend.

So, hold your horses and pop some more corn. grin.gif

Wait, lurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif, here ya go lmao.gif

KT,

What's with this work stuff???

Priorities!!!!

Your bike is down there getting old sitting in a stranger's home!

looking...

looking...

Found some more popcorn!

Mr. Bone, wanna share??? grin.gif

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

AdventurePoser

I test rode the new 800 last week and really enjoyed it's "big bike feel." Powerful, and good looking, I think BMW will sell a bunch of them.

Go for it, man!

Steve

Archived