IGNORED

K1200GT recall

WEDGE

I've just received a notice regarding an oil tank problem with what seems like a simple fix but the warning says don't ride the bike. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Wedge

Read the recall notice carefully..... The recall has to do with moisture accumulating at the vent pipe of the oil tank and FREEZING "if" the bike is ridden in sub zero weather. Once the vent is blocked by frozen moisture, your oil tank can build pressure and rupture.

If you never ride in sub-zero weather, then nothing to worry about.

Recall is a very simple replacement of the oil tank cap and the installation of a sticker under the seat.

Good luck!

If you're riding short distances in cold (where water would freeze) weather then don't ride the bike.

If you have ridden in freezing weather (again, short distances) then I would be concerned enough not

to ride the bike except to get the cap replaced and the tank inspected.

According to the recall notice, the problem occurs when condensate freezes. When this happens, the tank

could rupture. If you don't ride in the cold weather then this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

BTW, I had a chance to compare the old cap and the new. The new is a half inch or so taller and looks like

it does vent (where the old just seals the tank).

Something else that irks me is a service bulletin that I was told about. It says, in part, if there is no hole

in the filter for the dipstick, break the diptstick off. Of course, mine has a hole but no dipstick (which is

apparently easy enough to break off--makes me wonder). The whole question came up because the

RID was indicating a problem with the oil level. Checking the plastic tube, I saw plenty of oil. I could

see the froth in the tank yet the computer says there's not enough oil. I actually checked the manual

again to be sure of what I read the first time.

My new cap will be here next week.

Sounds like the same recall for my K-1200-S. It takes longer for the service dept. to write it up than to do the job.

Sounds like the same recall for my K-1200-S. It takes longer for the service dept. to write it up than to do the job.

Agreed. It took longer for the tech to put the bike on the lift and do the safety check. The repair itself requires removing the seat, removing the old cap, and screwing on a new one. No Biggie.

Archived