IGNORED

Wilbers USA Out of Action. Need an alternate.

Sidmariner

Something funny going on here. I just went to Ted Porters Beemershop http://www.beemershop.com/ web site and right on the front page he is advertising Wilbers. Right below the prominent display of Wilbers shocks is an advert for Ohlins Shocks. I am not making a judgment about this one way or another, just pointing out the facts.

Cheers! lurker.gif

SAAB93driver
Something funny going on here. I just went to Ted Porters Beemershop http://www.beemershop.com/ web site and right on the front page he is advertising Wilbers. Right below the prominent display of Wilbers shocks is an advert for Ohlins Shocks. I am not making a judgment about this one way or another, just pointing out the facts.

Cheers! lurker.gif

Might have more to do with YSS and Wilbers.

"Y.S.S. of Thailand employs former owner of TechoFlex/Wilbers,

and shocks are constructed on "expanded technological development."

Like many, I was very disappointed to hear this news. What is more irritating is Wilbers' decision to not ship orders which have already been confirmed. I know that that should have been better handled.

Dealing with Klaus has been good. Given Klaus' excellent reputation, I am willing to accept his recommendation for the Hyperpros and placed my order. Just wish they're here already.

• 3 months later...
SAAB93driver
Any idea whether Klaus's new line of shocks will be "lowerable" like Wilbers?

They are. My order with Klaus for a set of Wilbers shocks to lower my wife's 2004 R1150RS one inch was cancelled by Wilbers. Klaus advised that he would be offering the Hyperpro shocks, said they were as good or better than the Wilbers, and could be custom built to lower the bike, just as the Wilbers. Klaus will service the Hyperpros same as he did the Wilbers.

Even though he offered me a full refund, given his good reputation, I went with the Hyperpro shocks. They are made in the Netherlands.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Shocks&make=BMW

Ron

Did you ever receive your Hyperpro shocks? Any impressions?

I ordered my Hyperpro's (not from Klaus) May 20th. Ten weeks before my 2 week ride out west.

They promised me 6-8 weeks delivery. 16 weeks later, they still were not in my hot little hands. Canceled the order, and through Kyleusa ordered Ohhleans. Had 'em within a week!

Bike is in for warrenty work + having the shocks installed as I type.

Each time I called, it was "They will be shipping in a week."

The guy on the other end told me Wilber's was defunct, and Hyperpro was taking over the manufacturing of Wilbers shocks, hence the delay. How true dat is? I dunno.

I wondering how many people have ordered Hyperpros and are waiting on their order?

SAAB93driver

I wondering how many people have ordered Hyperpros and are waiting on their order?

That was reason for my question. My order is with Klaus and is now 5 months old, including the wait time when I actually ordered Wilbers. Multiple delivery dates have been given to me, none have been accurate. I think Klaus is working off info he is given from HP but I have lost my patience with the situation - he is in the middle perhaps, but I am on the end.

I received the Hyperpro's from Klaus after the stated 4/5 week wait. I installed them early June.

My wife really likes the way they transformed the '07 RT. Course she was used to the Wilbers on her '96 R11RS.

Can't help with the delivery times currently, I ordered them the same week Wilbers pulled out of Klaus' business.

SAAB93driver

I ordered Wilbers on 3/15. I switched my order from Wilbers to Hyperpro the day Klaus called me with the bad news about Wilbers - that was April 18, with the target of having shocks by end of May. As of August 14 I don't have a current date they will ship to USA.

I gave him a reasonable deadline for when I require an accurate ship date and if at that point he still cannot tell me when the shocks are leaving the factory then I will cancel the order. Personally Klaus has been an upstanding guy but I think his hands are somewhat tied - maybe mine is is the order from hell (tho it is just standard shocks with rear having hyd preload adjuster - even purple springs - nothing special). I hope that they are able to pull through for me but we will see.

SAAB93driver
Sounds like to me it is not the US distributor, but the manufacturer causing the delay.

So, is Hyperpro making Wilbers now?

I personally have no knowledge the they are making Wilbers.

All I want is the shocks that I ordered for my bike and right now I'd be happy if someone would give me an accurate date they will leave Europe. I knew that there was some risk in going with a "new deal" that Klaus set up but I was willing to take that risk and thus I have been more patient than I would have been under normal conditions but even that has a limit.

I agree it sounds like a factory problem and not a problem with Klaus's group, but at the end of the day it is my problem and if I need to find a different supplier/manufacturer I will.

• 2 weeks later...
SAAB93driver

Just an update, Klaus/Hyperpro finally delivered. Shocks were on my doorstep this afternoon. Nice plastic case and documentation, nice T shirt, shocks look good, hopefully will install this weekend.

I did notice on the front shock preload adjustment while installed won't be possible, or at least very difficult, - the threaded collar is on the top of the shock. Also the threaded shaft at the top does not have a slot or socket head on it, I don't know how I will keep the shaft from spinning when I turn the upper retaining nut, cross that bridge when I come to it.

At this point happy to have the shocks in my hand.

Installed Hyper-Pros a week ago - HEAVEN!! - the rebound adjustment - 46 clicks worth CAN be reached on both the front and rear shocks ... it's on the bottom - the top is a spring preload(?) gross adjust, factory (Klaus) set and won't need attention unless you go on the South Beach diet.

May be wrong about the terminology, but the ride is PURRRRFECT!

Eckhard Grohe

Are there a couple of flats on the top of the shock???? There were on my Ohlins I just installed and I made a wrench to hold the top of the shock when tightening the nut. Far better than flats a hex or a slot. You probably could make a light duty wrench out of a 1/4 in. thick piece of aluminium. I used a 1 1/8" wrench that I cut off and ground down because I was to anxious to wait a couple of days to get a piece of alum scrap from work. There was also an opening on the left side of the casting, where the shock mounts, where the wrench went in on my 1100RT.

SAAB93driver

Nope, no flats, just a threaded rod - looks just like the end of a bolt. My Works Performance front shock has a screwdriver slot and the stock unit a socket head on the end. I don't see any way to hold the rod with a wrench on the lower end either but I don't know (yet) if the rod will turn when I tighten the retaining nut.

Yes, we received them about the first of August. Had them installed and made sure the suspension was properly adjusted for her. Then we went on a 6 day ride through the mountain highways of CO and northern NM. She LOVES the bike now that it is an inch lower. Much easier for her to manage. She can just about flat-foot it at a stop and the shocks perform very well, better than stock. The pegs on the 2004 R1150RS tend to be mounted higher than on my RT and she doesn't even come close to dragging a peg. But of course, we are just a couple of old foggies out enjoying the ride.

I chopped a little more than 3/4" off the side stand and welded a small 3/16" plate to the end to provide an enlarged footprint. Haven't done anything yet with the centerstand mod. Very pleased with the Hyperpros. Just wish we had done it sooner.

Ron

916952-DSC03703_2small.JPG.90af7aa020ff7049bcb50daf9d3ffa60.JPG

Archived