IGNORED

Wilbers USA Out of Action. Need an alternate.

Sidmariner

After a lot of research and penny saving I was ready to place my order for a set of new Wilber Shocks for my '02 R1150RT. To my surprise, Wilbers has taken away the distribution rights from Klaus at Wilbers USA. Klaus explained the company would not allow him to sell the high-end Wilbers along with lower cost shocks for more frugal customers.

Now I'm looking for an alternate supplier for Wilbers or maybe some convincing that Ohlins are a better investment. Any suggestions?

Sadly If all you said is true I think your news about Klaus and Wilbers will be very upsetting to a lot of folks. frown.gif

For Wilbers to flush a rep like Klaus down the toilet like that... makes you wonder.

And for Klaus all the phone calls he'll have to answer saying "sorry I can't help you anymore."

What a shame.

Further to my initial post, Klaus explained he trying to set up an account to sell Hyperpro shocks, which apparently shared the same designer and many of the features of the Wilbers. He isn't set up to sell them yet and won't have any more information until late April. In the meantime, he has customer orders for Wilbers from as far back as early March which he cannot fill at the moment.

I agree Wilbers is sending a bad message here. I told Klaus my decision to buy Wilbers was significantly influenced by his excellent reputation and history of great service and support. I will be reluctant to buy from a vendor with no proven track record.

Having been a retailer at one time, I feel for small businessman who strives to keep a business afloat by offering a range of products for every price conscious customer. Wilbers obviously doesn't understand the value of the "Good Will" that Klaus built up on their behalf. What a shame.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Dang! dopeslap.gif

If I hadn't waited until today to do my Tax return, I could have had a set of Wilber's. I had already spoken to Klaus and done the pre-work prior to ordering, I just wanted to hold off until my return was done to make sure I didn't have any unexpected tax burden.

I guess I'll be looking at Ohlin's now and their less than stellar customer service. Klaus was really great to deal with. I may wait and see what he comes up with.

This really smacks. I hope nobody buys their shocks, but they will. I will wait to see what Klaus comes up with. Just got my tax return ! Now the wife will find a place to spend it. frown.gif

WirelessRider

I went to the wilburs usa site all it shows is wilburs product, am I the right place, ?? did not see the conflicting product.

Later Spike

SAAB93driver
After a lot of research and penny saving I was ready to place my order for a set of new Wilber Shocks for my '02 R1150RT. To my surprise, Wilbers has taken away the distribution rights from Klaus at Wilbers USA. Klaus explained the company would not allow him to sell the high-end Wilbers along with lower cost shocks for more frugal customers.

Now I'm looking for an alternate supplier for Wilbers or maybe some convincing that Ohlins are a better investment. Any suggestions?

That really bites since I ordered a set on March 15 and they have $100 deposit from me. So far nobody has contacted me with the bad news or a refund of the deposit.

I went to the wilburs usa site all it shows is wilburs product, am I the right place, ?? did not see the conflicting product.

Websites are not instantaniously up to date.

Peter (the original poster) spoke directly to Klaus. From the horses mouth so to speak.

I would imagine Klaus is doing everything he can to reinstate his distribution status and stay in business with other ventures.

Wilbers though wants exclusivity.

There will more than likely be a large disruption in the flow of how business will proceed for a while until some adjustments are made.

Again I feel for the man (Klaus) who just wished to expand his business.

Urban Surfer

lets get em!

Through this forum, with the many people who ride BMWs or other bikes that need shocks, we can send a strong message to whom ever is pulling the rug from under Klause.

I bought Wilbers shocks. Even though I didn't buy them from Klaus, he helped me in every way he could to guide me through the installation.

Klause is a good man.

We must contact Klause and find out who to write to, and do the the right thing.

After all we bikers aint we. cool.gif

I wrote a short email to the home office in Germany asking for direction on where to buy their shocks in North America now. I expressed my disappointment in their decision to cut off Klaus and told them I thought it was a big mistake.

There are always two sides to the story of course. I would be interested in discovering their true motivation for the change. For example, I once was an exclusive retailer for a line of marine radios in my area, until West Marine (the biggest marine supplier in the US)just moved in and took over the product line. A small retailer has no defence against bigger players when they decide they want to kill your business. Who knows, maybe Wilbers will pop up at Max, Bob's, A&S or Sierra in the near future?

SAAB93driver

Wilbers website shows 2 sites in USA, one in NJ which I imagine is Klaus's and one in panhandle of Florida.

Wilbers website shows a press release from a mag article from April 2007 still showing the NJ number for contact info. and on another page under the "service points" the following: "information about:Klaus Huenecke

Mr. Huenecke is a trusted and reliable licensed dealer of Wilbers Products GmbH for some years now. From his office in New Jersey he started the Wilbers exploration of the USA. Due to his huge experiences with our shock absorbers and with our whole product range, he is THE expert in the USA you can turn to whenever you got servicing or installation questions."

Whatever happened must've happened quick.

Wilbers web page

Rider1200RT

Well that blows big time! I like Klaus a lot as he made time for me to talk about the right shock set-up for my GSA and riding style. What about repair/rebuild service?? Can he still do that at least??

sigh,another great vendor bites the dust.... bncry.gif

I bought Ohlins for my 2000RT, and had them shortened - disassembled and a 10mm spacer placed around the shaft inside the shock body to keep them from extending fully at rest. They work beautifully. 10mm spacer reduced the ride height by about 1 inch. You would need to shorten your side stand. Centre stand can't be shortened.

Don't forget about BITUBO's. I got a set off EBAY for a good price and they look and feel as good as the WILBURS on my buddy's 02 rt. Plus they have more adjustment on both the front and back. Here's a link the the US dealer I think it's HERMY's BMW in PA. http://www.herdan.com/bitubo/

843940-MVC-026F.jpg.a0aa46230fd59f70b782fb510a832cf4.jpg

Oh Jeeesh.

I just placed an order last Wednesday. Spoke with Klaus and Dee at length. Neither one mentioned any difficulty with Germany and my order accepted along with my down payment.

I’ve heard nothing from either of them.

I hope this works out. Klaus is a really great guy.

I guess I'll be looking at Ohlin's now and their less than stellar customer service.

Really? I had a good experience with them. I ordered from Marin BMW and they had the shocks/springs setup for my weight etc and sent directly to me. I forget the pricing details.

Jim VonBaden
I bought Ohlins for my 2000RT, and had them shortened - disassembled and a 10mm spacer placed around the shaft inside the shock body to keep them from extending fully at rest. They work beautifully. 10mm spacer reduced the ride height by about 1 inch. You would need to shorten your side stand. Centre stand can't be shortened.

Sure it can!

Boy am I glad I got Ohlins now. clap.gif

At any rate, if you still want short shocks, you can special order them through Ohlins.

Jim cool.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
I guess I'll be looking at Ohlin's now and their less than stellar customer service.

Really? I had a good experience with them. I ordered from Marin BMW and they had the shocks/springs setup for my weight etc and sent directly to me. I forget the pricing details.

That's encouraging. Thanks!

I ordered a pair of Hyper-Pro shocks this morning. They are a Netherlands company and was designed by the same man that did the orginal Wilbers. They have a larger shaft than the Wilbers and the seals sound better. Pricing is in line with Wilbers also.

Just another option.

SAAB93driver

Finally got in touch with Klaus, he gave me the background, I switched my order so Hyperpro it is. www.hyperpro.com

It appears like a comparable shock, same price, same warranty. Klaus indicated that it is a respected brand in Europe and he believes it compares favorably and even better in some respects. I didn't feel he was painting a rosier picture than reality, I felt it was evident in the conversation that the split with Wilbers was not what he would have wanted but had little choice. I can understand it was a business decision but an order is an order, they should have transitioned from Klaus in a more professional manner if that was their end goal.

Klaus copied me this letter, and said I could post it here. He's still planning on handling service and warranty claims for Wilber's products he's sold.

Wilbers USA April 16, 2007

Ref.: Wilbers line of products, manufactured in Germany

Dear Customer:

I am sorry to say that as of 4-16-07 we will not be offering the Wilbers products out of Germany.

Orders for Wilbers shocks or springs out of Germany, that have been placed with us after March 1 – 07 up to April 13 - 07, can not be delivered, because the manufacturer decided not to ship our orders, despite acknowledging them in writing.

What has happened???

I decided some time ago to expand my business by adding a line of high quality, but more economically priced twin-shocks for the vintage market, the YSS product.

Please understand that I started marketing the Wilbers products back in 2001 without an exclusive contract from the manufacturer, and still do not have one today.

Mr. Wilbers came to know about my interest in the YSS products a few weeks ago, and as a reprimand, told me that I am not part of their “preferred” vendor group any longer. As such, the delivery commitment of 14 working days would not apply to Wilbers USA any longer. I would have to wait for the product to be delivered when they are ready to ship it. I swallowed, waited, and told my customers that there is a delivery crunch due to high order volume in Germany, hoping that Germany would ship the pending orders a bit later.

Asking for the delivery time again after about 10 days, I was told that as long as I would invest money with a competitor, I would not be supplied outstanding orders. I asked him to discuss the issue so we could arrive at a solution that would be satisfactory to both of us. He declined, demanding that I would state and commit in writing to be an exclusive Wilbers supplier, not carrying any competitive product, without offering me an exclusive contract. I declined respectfully and again expressed my interest in continuing with Wilbers, but the need to discuss the issue.

I suggested to continue the supply of product to the US market and not to “penalize” the customer base because of our differences. I offered to turn the business over to a successor if we would not arrive at an agreeable solution, but to continue serving the market until that point of time. Mr. Wilbers strongly declined, telling me that I would not understand the seriousness of the situation and told me that my orders – all of which had been confirmed – would not be shipped to us.

I am sorry that it came to this, but my business ethics do not allow me to continue dealing with a person or business under those threats. Disagreements happen every day, and can be resolved by discussing them, but they should not be carried out on the back of the people we both need most – our customers.

I have contacted another supplier of High Quality shocks in the Netherlands – HYPERPRO, explained the situation and asked if they would work with me. I am glad to say that they agreed, and as of today April 17, I am proud to offer the HYPERPRO line of shock absorbers.

All current orders will be contacted over the next few days, informed of the situation, and asked whether they want to accept the Hyperpro product, or cancel the order and receive a refund of their down-payment.

We continue doing business under the registered name of Wilbers USA. We continue serving the Wilbers products we sold in the past with warranty claims, regular service, modifications etc. We will honor the 5 year warranty extended to you at time of purchase to the fullest.

I know it will be difficult in the next few months promoting a new product, and basically starting from scratch, but I am committed to do so. Please contact us with your suspension questions and needs, and say hello when you see us at the next rally, show or meeting.

It is a long explanation, but I felt you needed to get the full story to understand the situation.

Thank you for your time in reading this letter. I am looking forward doing business with you in the future.

Sincerely

Klaus Huenecke

Klaus is a class act! I really like the guy, and the main reason I went with Wilber’s in the first place.

I waited hoping to hear something from him and spur of the moment yesterday I pick up the phone and gave him a call regarding my order. Spoke with him at length on what had happened - much of it already report here - accurately. He took time to explain the alternative and answered all my questions.

I too decided to switch my order to HyperPro. Just plain bad business on Wilber’s part. I'm sure we will all be happy with the switch. I spoke to a friend who had HyperPro on his race bikes and he's been very pleased with the performance and support. With Klaus behind the deal now we should be in great shape. Also glad to hear he's still going to be able to service the Wilber customers he had.

A load off my mind.

Klaus is a class act! I really like the guy, and the main reason I went with Wilber’s in the first place.

Klaus really understands customer service. He will get my business.

I don't know if this is a Erropean thing or just that Wilbers has so much business that they think they can do this. They certainly do not have the customer in mind. I work in a small business where we sell many competers products so the customer has the choice. We have never had one complaint from the manufacturers that we sell and service. Good old American competition.

My 2 cents !

I don't know if this is a Erropean thing or just that Wilbers has so much business that they think they can do this.

Erropean I know it was a typo but it's rather appropriate.

Wilbers is from Germany and it must be a trend.

After all most of us here are riding on a bike that forced many shops to CLOSE due to their exclusivity policy of a BMW only dealership.

Well! Wasn't that an interesting thread? Ideally, the hundreds of views and numerous posts on this issue should be a wakeup sign to Mr. Wilbers that he has embarked on the worst kind of business promotion...namely turning off hard-won brand loyalty through retailer intimidation and demonstrations of bad faith to customers.

Now that we have closed the loop on the whole issue I am firmly on the side of Klaus and his solid business ethic. My order for Hyperpro shocks goes in today. thumbsup.gif

Now...I wonder if every order for Dutch shocks will come with complementary cheese? wink.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

My order for Hyperpro shocks goes in today. thumbsup.gif

Leaning that way myself. I'm gonna wait just long enough to convince myself this is an equivalent technical solution. There have been many folks singing Wilber's praises here and I haven't heard much about Hyperpro's.

Nonetheless, Klaus is a stand up guy who I would like to send my business.

Rich

Rich

I don't even need shocks and I want to buy something from this guy. Seems like a real class act.

Rich

I don't even need shocks and I want to buy something from this guy. Seems like a real class act.

Really? I figure there are always two sides of the story. Even if his is true, Wilbers is a total dirtbag company, who's to say the new vendor won't do something similar?

One of the advantages to me of Ohlins and the like is they are serviced, sold, and supported by multiple people in the USA. Rather than a single person.

There have been many folks singing Wilber's praises here and I haven't heard much about Hyperpro's.

For the most part people buy on quality, reputation, availability and service.

Hyperpro will grown in the US now because of what Wilbers gave up.

All things being equal EXCEPT the key component of KLAUS, who Wilber's tossed aside.

Klaus is a huge part of the success . Now his energy and comittment will be focused on HYPERPRO. Hyperpro is a very lucky company! thumbsup.gif

There have been many folks singing Wilber's praises here and I haven't heard much about Hyperpro's.

For the most part people buy on quality, reputation, availability and service.

Hyperpro will grown in the US now because of what Wilbers gave up.

All things being equal EXCEPT the key component of KLAUS, who Wilber's tossed aside.

Klaus is a huge part of the success . Now his energy and comittment will be focused on HYPERPRO. Hyperpro is a very lucky company! thumbsup.gif

AMEN clap.gif For Klaus, he is the common denomenator. Customer service and concern for the customer goes 100 miles + with me.

SAAB93driver

I was already buying a set of shocks when this happened. Unlike some other vendors I think Klaus and his company just by being open about the situation is a step ahead of some others in the motorcycle aftermarket. He is handling it in a straightforward and professional way for the customers that are affected. Wilbers factory OTOH doesn't respond to customer emails about this situation, at least not mine.

Like I said, I already decided to buy a pair of shocks, given Klaus's response to my open questions and concerns and my albeit brief research of the company I'm willing to give his offer a chance.

Funny, I filled out a request form for shocks on the Wilbers home page in Germany and they haven't even responded. confused.gif

I guess my money isn't any good! tongue.gif

Let's see Ohlins, Hype... thumbsup.gif

Any idea whether Klaus's new line of shocks will be "lowerable" like Wilbers?

They are. My order with Klaus for a set of Wilbers shocks to lower my wife's 2004 R1150RS one inch was cancelled by Wilbers. Klaus advised that he would be offering the Hyperpro shocks, said they were as good or better than the Wilbers, and could be custom built to lower the bike, just as the Wilbers. Klaus will service the Hyperpros same as he did the Wilbers.

Even though he offered me a full refund, given his good reputation, I went with the Hyperpro shocks. They are made in the Netherlands.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Shocks&make=BMW

Ron

When I put Wilbers on my GT, I also added the steering dampner.

It said Wilbers, but I think it was made by HyperPro.

FWIW, I'll continue to do biz w/Klaus andshake my head at the shortsighted behavior of the W corporation.

Love my shocks, but would've gone a different route w/out Klaus.

Liked 'em so much, had our dealership become a distributor.

Oh, well.

lurker.gif

Like I said, I already decided to buy a pair of shocks, given Klaus's response to my open questions and concerns and my albeit brief research of the company I'm willing to give his offer a chance.

Same here thumbsup.gif Glad I was able to continue dealing with Klaus and all things being equal Klaus told me some time before that HyperPro was another high end source that wanted to break into the US market to compete with Wilber’s. Wilber just sank his best representative and turned an entire internet knowledge base against themselves. dopeslap.gif

I ordered a shock and fork springs for my new FJR. I must have gotten them in just under the deadline because they arrived, then I heard about Klaus's problems with Wilburs a few weeks ago.

I could have sold the suspension to another FJR owner before all this stuff became public knowledge, but after speaking to Klaus, decided to stay with the Wilburs at Klaus's recommendation. Here are some things to consider.

Klaus will back the Wilburs product. The 5-year warranty he offered was HIS warranty, not one that is financially backed by the factory. It was always there because of the way Klaus does business. It's HIS money he uses to replace/repair those products that may have a bad seal or other problem. He has a substantial inventory of Wilbers parts and even if he runs out, he'll buy the replacement parts wherever he has to in order to support the warranty he offered. That makes me give the man my trust.

Klaus operated without an exclusivity contract, although exclusivity was obviously expected of him. This is interesting when Wilbers in Germany is also the German importer for Maxon shocks from England.

Yet despite this and other factors, in my discussions with Klaus, he never once bad-mouthed the Wilbers product, the factory, or its owner. He always expressed his disappointment in the form of bewilderment at why someone couldn't see the bigger picture, i.e. that the customer was not being served. Even though I'd probably be screaming publicly at the top of my lungs if I got hosed the way Klaus has been, he has shown his true character and class.

None of this changes the fact that the Wilbers products are exceptional. Eventually, someone will take over the importation and distribution of these products, more than likely under the mandates set down by Wilbers. And life will resume as normal. This is just business.

I am excited for Klaus that he has found new opportunity. He deserves our support. I look forward to hearing from those who purchase HyperPro suspension, to see if it is something we can all get behind and recommend.

As for Wilbers, the biggest problem any future importer/distributor faces isn't the mandates of Wilbers/Germany. It's trying to match the reputation for customer service established by Klaus.

Steve_Witmer
Now...I wonder if every order for Dutch shocks will come with complementary cheese? wink.gif

Maybe they'll come with a postcard pre-addressed to Wilburs saying, "Sorry to inform you that you lost my business."

FWIW, my RT came with FoxRacing shocks installed by the previous owner and I have been very satisfied with those.

I would like to share an email I received today from Mr. Wilbers himself on the situation:

"Dear customer,

With this email we explicitly object to the statement of Mr. Klaus Huenecke in which he claims that we won't supply him anymore!

In February 2006 we visited Mr. Huenecke in his commercial unit with the desire to do the next-step; in terms of business relationships with the USA. This next-step asked for a bigger investment which we wanted to share with him, but Mr. Huenecke was not ready to invest his share for a conjoint future!

Unfortunately we came to know that Mr. Huenecke, instead of funding our products "Made in Germany"; decided to spend his money on suspension products made in Thailand, thus investing in the products of our own rival without any consistent reason. So, instead of thinking about a future with Wilbers Products GmbH and exclusively offering our suspension-elements to the American customers, he decided to become our competitor.

We asked Mr. Huenecke to explain to us why he has chosen to walk this road and as long as we do not have a satisfying answer and as long as this matter is not settled to our satisfaction, we cannot continue supplying Mr. Huenecke with our commodities. Should Mr. Huenecke make the decision to accept Wilbers Products GmbH as his exclusive suspension partner, the shipments and business relation with him will be revived immediately!

We started exploring the American market some years ago and our determination to offer our suspension-elements to the American customers has not at all changed!

Still we are searching for reliable business partners in your huge country and with some we have already entered into negotiations.

You, as our customer, can rest assured that the service and maintenance work will soon be resumed in the usual way.

In the meantime, should you be interested in suspension-elements "Made in Germany"; from our company, of course we are ready to gladly supply you with our high-quality suspension-products and until the matter is arranged to our satisfaction we even will deliver any of your orders from Germany postage-free!

Should you have any further questions, we are looking forward for your inquiries,

Best regards,

Benny Wilbers

Wilbers Products GmbH"

My response was:

"Thank you Herr Wilbers. I am grateful you took the time to respond to my inquiry.

Your products have an excellent reputation here in North America. This is, of course, because of the quality and reliability of the equipment you sell. I must confess though, that when I was ready to buy shocks and came to choose among many competing products it was the praise of fellow motorcyclists for Klause Huenecke that made me decide to purchase your shocks. Just imagine, even though I live on an island on the far west coast of Canada I was prepared to buy from a man in New Jersey whom I do not know. Last week, despite the fact that your were having a disagreement with Mr. Huenecke, he took the time to explain in detail the virtues of your shocks and make recommendations on which units to order for my motorcycle. I said "lets do it" and told him I was prepared to order. It was disappointing to me that he then said I could not purchase your shocks from him any more.

Once again, thank you for sharing this information. I will post your email on the bmwrt.com website so that the many BMW riders who now possess or are interested in purchasing your products can be made aware of the situation. I hope your shocks appear on the market again soon and that your business continues to grow in North America.

Your's Sincerely...

SAAB93driver

If an agreement could not be reached to continue the business relationship the smooth way to transition would have been for Wilbers to agree to deliver all acknowledged orders from Klaus or give him the option to cancel them.

If an agreement could not be reached to continue the business relationship the smooth way to transition would have been for Wilbers to agree to deliver all acknowledged orders from Klaus or give him the option to cancel them.

That would have been the honorable thing to do. Wilburs fugged up.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

I purchased a HyperPro steering stabilizer for my K12RS, due to the original being destroyed in a wreck by the previous owner. frown.gif I love the product, and when I need shocks for this machine, rest assured that I will buy HyperPro from Klaus! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

very true. basicly wilburs screwed it's customers for that time period & thus we all know about it. sounds like klaus was exploring another mfg that supplies fitments that wilburs does not supply and mr wilburs got all bent out of shape. also sound like wilburs wanted klaus to effectly be wilburs usa division headquaters instead of just a reseller. klaus did not want to be that. mr wilburs should have stepped back and realized that klaus made wilburs know to the us market (i spoke to and bought from him) and sold alot of suspension products for wilburs. v stromers are also big wilburs buyers as are most other bike mfg. in the end mr wilbur's aroganze has screwed his country of us sales and hyperpro should be very excited. in the end you gotta wonder how mr wilburs will react when he sees his us sales fall through the floor.

Unfortunately we came to know that Mr. Huenecke, instead of funding our products "Made in Germany"; decided to spend his money on suspension products made in Thailand, thus investing in the products of our own rival without any consistent reason. So, instead of thinking about a future with Wilbers Products GmbH and exclusively offering our suspension-elements to the American customers, he decided to become our competitor.

There's no way this was going to cut into Wilbers' sales. Klaus was trying to expand his own interest by offering a low end alternative and open his customer base which may have actually ended up placing orders for Wilber's. Who's to say which way it could have gone.

Archived