IGNORED

Vibration on a K1200LT

Zebe

I recently bought a 2002 K1200LT and love it but.... When I'm at highway speeds (60-75+) I notice a humming and vibration when I lean to change lanes. Anyone have this problem or now the reason. Also my front brake squeaks a little.

My wifes 03 GT has a slight buz between 4.2 & 4.8k

My understanding is that they all do that.

As far as the brake noise... pads are Ok I assume?

Welcome aboard wave.gif

This posts should really be under 'RENCHING K Bikes & may end up there if/when some mod wakes up grin.gif

You don't mentio nthe miles on the machine or any mechanical or accident history. Assuming there is no history I can say that mine did vibrate slightly at 68 MPH and quit below or above that speed. I would take it to the dealer for an opinion...or let another LT rider give it a shot on the highway. And brakes??? New pads or old pads on the bike????

tom collins

you noted that you get these sensations when you lean to change lanes. i would suggest checking the tires. if they are not new or close, they may have a wear patter or cupping that will cause the noise and vibration you describe. these bikes are very sensative to tire pressure. also, some tire brands tend to display this symptom more than others. if the tires have over 5,000 on them, i would not be surprised if this is causing the noise.

tom collins

Bruce Barrow

As Tom said, I would bet that the front tire is cupping on both sides of center. My 99 RT did the same thing and my 05 LT has the same pattern to the front tire (Bridgestone 020's). It can make a howling noise at times when leaned over but nothing at all when straight. The LT is new for me. Anyone have any suggestions for tires and tire pressures. At 6000 miles the front is definitly cupping. I will change tires later this spring and really plan to ride a lot more than the 1st owner did. A wonderful ride by the way.

Bruce thumbsup.gif

Check your tire wear. Worn tires will do that. After you check & change your tires, check the pressures. Run them higher than recommended, 45 front 48-50 in the rear.

Zebe,

I just bought an 00 a couple of weeks ago and rode it home from NJ. It too makes a humming noise as you describe when making small turns and lane changes. I am sure that it is the tires. My bike has about 4500 on a set of Metzler 880s and are just starting to get a good flat spot. When you make a small lean, you are just jumping up on the ridge of the flat spot and that's where you're getting the noise and vibration. I, of course, am basing this on my experiences with my ME880 on my RT. I get the same exact noise/vibration on the RT when the Metzs start to get worn.

As the others have said, check your air pressure, make sure it is at the max for the tires, and ride some twisties for a while and wear that ridge off the edges of the flat spots. Enjoy the ride, they are sweet aren't they??

P.S. I read on the LT website a very good post about making sure you have the correct tires on the LT. Because of it's weight, you need to be sure that you have the correct tire. Many other tires will fit it, but only Metzler and Bridgestone (at the time this post was written) had the tires with a sufficient load rating for the LT.

As for the brake squeak, my rear brake squeals as well, and for the most part is totally worthless. It will get new pads and a caliper rebuild this week.

Anyone have any suggestions for tires and tire pressures. At 6000 miles the front is definitly cupping. I will change tires later this spring and really plan to ride a lot more than the 1st owner did.

42psi front and 48psi rear. 6000 is about when mine started cupping and they are shot by 8-9000. I've switched to running Avon's on the front with the 020 on the rear. The Avon gets a bit more life on it, but the cupping doesn't start until much later. Very good combo IMHO.

I usually get 12-14K from a set of ME880's running them at 45 & 50 psi (front & rear, respectively). But my riding is 1 up, bags mostly empty, distance riding.

Everyone I know that runs ME880's gets high mileage from them, but there is a big sacrifice in wet weather traction and I ride in all weather. Pay your money and take your choice.

Archived