IGNORED

Chromed or polished rims

Ankan

Hi.

I´m thinking of chrome the rims on my 12RT. Or I´ll have them polished.

Though I´m curious if there´s anyone around here who´s got pictures ? So I can see the result before I make up my mind. I guess that in both cases it´s gonna be quite expensive. I´ve ordered som polished parts from Wunderlich in Germany, such as polished brake and cluth levers, brake and clutch resevoir lids and handlebar end weights. The bike is getting a little bit of a "highline" finish.

I´ll post some pictures of my bike later on when I´ve mounted the "jewlery" wink.gif

I saw one with black powder coated wheels at the MOA rally. I liked the look, (sporty-aggressive) no bling. thumbsup.gif

Pat

Hi.

The idea of powder coating the rims has struck my mind as well. I have an idea where I´ll will have the "rim-base" powder coated with a glossy finish and the rest will be chromed. And maybe, the small "wheel side" (if you see what I mean) could have a stripe of chrome as well.

Or another alternative: Glossy powder coating of the entire rim and just the chrome stripe at the side. What would you prefer ?

I'm not sure but, more than one finish on the wheel would be tough to do. It might look a little busy also. JMO

Pat

I dont' have any pictures of polished rims, but I have seen several people who have polished their rims and the BMW alloy rims polish up very nicely!

clap.gif

Hey Andreas,

I did this on my Yamaha SR500.

There are 3 phases of effect. Full polish, satin brushed finish and paint.

It was a lot of work but the result was to my liking. It consists of polished spokes that come down to a small full polish ring all the way around then I satin brush finished the larger ring of the rim. All offset with gold. The effect catchs light nicely.

wheelfinish.jpg

wf2.jpg

The 1200rt has a similar rim profile.

JerryMather

Having had Chromed rims on my RT, I'd polish them if I were you. The Chrome rims came with the bike when I bought it and over time the chrome started coming off, so I had them stripped and powder coated to the stock silver color.

FYI: There are colors that look just like Chrome from your Powder Coater. But keep in mind that when you powder coat any thing it has to be baked on at above 400 F and some people say that it'll weaken an already soft wheel since it's aluminum.

Having had Chromed rims on my RT, I'd polish them if I were you. The Chrome rims came with the bike when I bought it and over time the chrome started coming off, so I had them stripped and powder coated to the stock silver color.

FYI: There are colors that look just like Chrome from your Powder Coater. But keep in mind that when you powder coat any thing it has to be baked on at above 400 F and some people say that it'll weaken an already soft wheel since it's aluminum.

Thanks for the heads up. Honestly I didn´t had a clue how powder coating works if you see what I mean. Though I think I´ll go for the glossy black p. coated. rim with a stripe of chrome at the side. I got a link from a friend. See for your selves.

AC Schnitzer.de

I´m seriously considering asking my parents if I could have some of the legacy in advance grin.gif

I saw one with black powder coated wheels at the MOA rally. I liked the look, (sporty-aggressive) no bling. thumbsup.gif

Pat

The rims that you saw at the rally, was that the oem rim ? Cause I´m going to repaint mine in glossy black. I´ll test this first. And if I don´t like it, I´ll order the rims from AC Schnitzer.

Andreas, I didn't look that closely at them, so I don't know. Sorry.

Pat

And of course I forgot to ask if it was a R1200RT that you saw ?

• 2 weeks later...

I´m seriously considering asking my parents if I could have some of the legacy in advance grin.gif

Not anymore. I emailed AC Schnitzer and asked how much a set of rims would cost. A pair set of rims cost 2,800 USD. eek.gif

That´s about 18´300 SEK with today´s currency value. Shipping cost at 365,00 SEK (54 USD) not included.

Archived