IGNORED

New dealer in St. Louis

gasser

Stopped by BMWMOA offfice today to pick up current mag and I asked if they knew about a new dealer yet, since we lost our's a year ago. The lady working there told me she heard May or June (this year) but doesn't know where. Any rumors? clap.gif

Stopped by BMWMOA offfice today to pick up current mag and I asked if they knew about a new dealer yet, since we lost our's a year ago. The lady working there told me she heard May or June (this year) but doesn't know where. Any rumors? clap.gif

The new dealer (Gateway BMW) has an ad in the latest issue of the MOA Owners' News, but no location. Their web site is: www.gatewaybmw.com It's still "under construction".

The area sorely needs one, but if they try the same approach as the previous, it won't last long. The market is not big enough to support a BMW-only shop. It will need to be multi-brand and have much lower overhead than the old place. You can't support a shop of that size in Westport and make it on that basis.

I don't live there any longer, but do pass through from time to time. It will be nice to have a delaer there again.

The market is not big enough to support a BMW-only shop.

There are plenty of people in the greater St. Louis area. BMW-only shops in smaller areas seem to do fine. (Eg. - Gina's BMW, Iowa City, IA; Bentonville BMW, Bentonville, AR) The old St. Louis shop was difficult to get too and inconsistent in their customer service.

If the new folks get a decent location and treat everyone well - not just the regulars - they'll do ok.

The market is not big enough to support a BMW-only shop.

There are plenty of people in the greater St. Louis area. BMW-only shops in smaller areas seem to do fine. (Eg. - Gina's BMW, Iowa City, IA; Bentonville BMW, Bentonville, AR) The old St. Louis shop was difficult to get too and inconsistent in their customer service.

If the new folks get a decent location and treat everyone well - not just the regulars - they'll do ok.

gINA'S bMW...you are kiddin' right..?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifeek.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I was told by a Triumph dealer that BMW mandated the BMW only shop rule and forced then to build the new building. They went broke.

Every BMW dealer I've been to in the past two years has been BMW only. Or, if they carry other brands, there's a wall with a door to separate the two.

There's an article in the MOA mag this month in which some execs from BMW USA are interviewed about a variety of things, including the dealer situation. They claim that the move to upgrade the St. Louis facility was the owner's decision. I'm not associated with any dealer, but a couple of years ago, when a gent I know was going through the process of opening a new dealership, BMW put him through pure hell. Colors and design criteria, stringent requirements regarding separate showrooms (for scooters, which BMW doesn't even sell in the U.S.), etc. He almost gave up on it completely. Others have.

I understand that BMW abandoned their BMW-only policy a couple of years ago, but it appears--to someone outside the industry--that they've really put the screws to a fair number of dealers, effectively closing them down. The statements in the article seem self-contradictory: claiming on the one hand that there's no reduction in the number of dealers, but acknowledging elsewhere that the current 150 or so is down from 300-400 a few years ago (I'm writing from recollection, so my numbers may be off). Anyway, it appears that BMW has caused a number of dealers to close down over the past few years, in an effort to maximize profits and project a brand image. Nothing wrong with that, but they've made it much more difficult for owners in doing so, and there is something wrong with that. Hopefully this trend is reversing.

Anyway, it appears that BMW has caused a number of dealers to close down over the past few years, in an effort to maximize profits and project a brand image. Nothing wrong with that, but they've made it much more difficult for owners in doing so, and there is something wrong with that. Hopefully this trend is reversing.

The trend will reverse as soon as H-D buys BMW Motorcycles.

Mike, I read that same interview. I've never read anything with more more hypocrisy.

The only thing that came to mind when I was reading it was that the BMW execs were showing their true colors regarding their beliefs about their riding customers, which is that we ain't too intelismart.

And, once again, BMW MOA's "hard-hitting" and "thorough" interview process did nothing to help anyone. The MOA is so intent on "getting on positive terms" with BMW, and they seem to be in such awe of them, all they do is kiss their ass.

For those who ride BMW Motorcycles, who have a good dealer that is geographically close, should count their blessings and not take their dealer for granted. For those of us who do not have a dealer close by, we can either stop our bitching and move on, knowing we will need to work a bit harder for dealer service, or buy something else. BMW is in no hurry to help anyone and we need to understand this.

For me, I like my GS. I'll continue to ride my GS. I just know that when I need service from a dealer, it will involve a lot of extra time and patience and money getting my GS to the dealer.

It really is that black and white. If you buy a BMW Motorcycle, accept the dealer situation and figure it will probably get worse before it gets better.

Tasker, I was trying to say it somewhat more delicately, but my impressions matched yours exactly. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, so I realize that "customer satisfaction" is valuable to a company only insofar as it builds profitability. But the BS content of the BMW party line was pretty high--they emphasized the high ratings that BMW gets in the "purchase experience," but they sure didn't talk about the after-sales experience.

I've really loved my BMWs, but I think that any focus on serving the U.S. customer is in a continuing state of decay.

As far as the MOA's incisive reporting . . .

lmao.gif

I agree 100%. That MOA interview was ridiculous - all softball questions answered as if the audience was made up of 2 year olds. To me, it only reinforced my belief that that I buy BMW bikes in spite of the company behind it.

We are very lucky in the LA area to have a number of excellent dealers. Not true in many areas of the US and a major weakness for a brand that markets itself as long distance riding oriented.

Whew! I thought I was the only one that sensed arrogance in the article. As a rider for 40 years, I've witnessed a lot, mostly with Harley--from humility to arrogance to a different attitude today. I am new to BMW (since lst fall) and really like the product, different than what I am accustomed to, but nice. The dealers that I've met seem okay but I get a sense from this and other forums that BMW is an auto company that happens to make motorcycles. Am I right or wrong in that? Also, I sense a very typical German attitude that "We at the factory know what's best and will tell you what to think." I can live with that because I've seen that attitude before. What I am encouraged by is this forum. This is a great way to test one's assumptions against those with more history with the bikes and the company. Thanks for all your input. thumbsup.gif

Yes, BMW "happens" to make bikes, but they've been making them for 80+ years, so it's not like they're new to it, nor has it been a passing fad for them.

I'm sure there are fantastic dealers out there.

Please don't flame me.

So far hassle has been worth it.

With an avatar like yours, there is no way I'd flame you! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

There are many great dealers in the US and I've been helped by many of them. And I constantly hear stories about many other great dealerships that I've not been too. In fact, many of those great dealerships are represented quite well on this board by people who truly care about their customers.

And you're right, for many, the "hassle" is usually worth the effort. So far, it has been for me. But when the distance from my house to the closest dealership becomes longer than four hours, I'll buy another product or stop riding.

There is a lot of negative crap spewed by many on various moto-boards about their dealers but I believe that most are good and do care about their service to their customers. This is why I always suggest that those who are close to their dealerships suppport them.

Much like most everything in life, you never know what you have until you don't have it, and miss it greatly. I'm okay spending a buck more per quart of oil with my dealer if it helps him/her stay in business.

Well, that certainly is good news for the riders in St. Louis! I'm glad to see that they are getting a dealer again. I will never need to worry about a dealer here in the vast expanse of Wyoming. No BMW dealer (closed in 1985, sold me three bikes from '79 to '85), no Guzzi dealer (one in Laramie, WY - 150 miles - closed in 1987, sold me two Guzzi's in '85 and '87), no Triumph dealer either. We do have a HD dealer in Casper, I do not let them touch my HD since they screwed something up whenever they did. I like BMW's, Guzzi's and Triumphs a lot, and I like to work on them too (I like my HD also, but working on it is a pain in the ass!). I do very much like my dealer of BMW and Triumph (Foothills BMW / Triumph in Lakewood, CO: 320 miles) but I just buy the bikes from them and mail-order parts. Would'nt be any different if I lived across the street from them! Well, except of course for new tires.

I wish the new dealer the best of luck. I do know that if BMW told the folks at "Foothills" to quit Triumph, they might get a rude awakening!

Bob

thumbsup.gif

If you ride around in the St. Louis area long enough it will soon become apparent that H-D owns St. Louis. There are many dealerships - several in St. Louis County, St. Charles County, directly across the big river in Alton and Bellville, Illinois and about 20 miles deep into Jefferson County. I rarely see other BMW's. A lot of sport bikes but very few Ducatis, Triumph's etc. I do not think that I have ever seen a KTM in the St. Louis area.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to think that a BMW franchise added to a Japanese make and another European make (Moto Guzzi for instance) might stand a better chance at staying open.

St. Louis dealer or not, down in Cape Girardeau you will find Grass Roots BMW and this shop is the place that I plan to patronize. I purchased my 12RT there last December. Herb and Reno Anderson and their crew will treat you decently and, if you are a tad cold or sleepy, they will fix you up with Herb's Scandavavian-influenced coffee that will put you into hypermode in no time.

Grass Roots is about 100 miles from my house. A person can take the fast ride down on the main highways or, what I plan on doing when I need service, sampling the seemingly unlimited supply of twisty two-lane country roads between my home and the dealership.

thumbsup.gif

Gus

• 1 month later...
Missouri Bob

Any news about Gateway BMW? One of my buddies in STL is thinking about buying another BMW, but would prefer to have a dealer in his area code.

Some people are so unreasonable.

Bob

Archived