IGNORED

Throttle cable replacement.

mikeR1100R

The Haynes manual states that throttle cable replacement should be done every 18,000 miles. Since I will have the tank off to do the fuel filter on my 98 R1100R with 23,000 miles, I thought I would replace the throttle cable as well, (also the battery}. My question is should the throttle cable actually be replaced that often? I don't have any isssues with throttle operation or problems with TB sync. Would it be prudent to just inspect and lube the cables?

The cable distributor unit looks pretty complex with a number of moving parts. Does any part of that assembly need lubrication or will that eventually just attract dust and grime and gum it up? If I replace the throttle cable, would it not make sense to replace all four cables coming and going from the distributor unit?

Also, does anyone have a good method of lubricating the cables? The method shown in the Haynes book looks very messy.

Thanks,

Mike

Do NOT lube the cables. Apply some light grease to the barrel-ends but that's all. I wouldn't bother at 23K unles you are having problems. I just replaced my original throtle cable ('96 RT with single cable) at 55K because it got stiff.

The fast idle cable hardly ever needs replaced.

Mick

I just replaced the cables on my 04 R1150RT for the first time at 60k. I wasn't having any problems but I did it for peace of mind. I didn't see any reason to change the fast idle cable and as long as I own this bike it will probably never get replaced. I don't think it will ever break because of its limited travel and use. Some people recommend replacing the cable junction box. I bought one and I did replace it. In my opinion it was a waste of my money to replace the junction box. The old one looked fine after I cleaned the dirt and grime off of it. I will not plan on replacing the junction box again and if for some reason it does fail I will use the old one I took out last week. But I doubt it will fail.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Especially with only 18K on the bike.

As mentioned, the cables are designed to operate dry.

In my opinion it was a waste of my money to replace the junction box. The old one looked fine after I cleaned the dirt and grime off of it. I will not plan on replacing the junction box again and if for some reason it does fail I will use the old one I took out last week. But I doubt it will fail.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Archived