IGNORED

Top case painting...

jakfrost

I have decided to take the plunge and invest in a color matched top case, and have a couple of questions.

I am wondering if anyone has done a little prep on their own to help keep the cost down and know how to remove the BMW roundel...

I have removed the backrest and seperated the top half from the bottom at the hinges, but it would seem the double wall is a 'glued in' installation. This probably prevents getting at the back of the roundel in order to remove it, right?

So super careful masking?

Anything else? The paint code is 911 for the Piedmont Red, should I pick up some at the dealer or let the paint shop mix it...I'm nervous the paint shop may not get it exactly right tongue.gif

Jim

I believe that he roundel attaches with adhesive. Take a look here: Link

I had mine painted and I know for a fact that he did not mask the roundel or remove the inner liner from the case.

Thanks Mike, thats what I needed know before I broke anything. I guess gentle prying should get it off...

Oh, and when I tried to buy some paint from the dealer he said 911 isn't the red paint code, its a general code for the color scheme on the overall bike. The 'red' bits are a 912 code.

Also I would have to go to a BMW auto parts suppy to buy the paint. I wonder if a 1/2 liter would be enough. Probably, a liter seems like a lot for the top half of a top case tongue.gif.

Jim

To remove the roundel:

1)Grind/file the end of a popsicle stick to a chisel point.

2)Use this to carefully pry up the edge of the badge.

3)Take dental floss and get it under the edge of the badge.In a back and forth motion, "saw" through the adhesive backing. (wearing leather work gloves for this is a good idea)

4)Wet the adhesive residue with lighter fluid or kerosene, and chisel it off with the popsicle stick. (this won't mark the paint/plastic. Finish with a fluid dampened rag.

I've done this many times and it works like a treat.

I guess I can use the roundel again if I can find the appropriate adhesive...?

Jim

3M Trim adhesive tape is widely available. R.C. servo tape (the thin black type) works great also.
Jerry Johnston

I'd like to add - apply a little heat from a hair dryer - not a heat gun (too hot). It'll help amke the roundel come loose. If you screw it up it's not very expensive to replace.

Yeh, I was thinking about heat helping but wasn't sure how much the roundel or the top case could take...and if it would make it better or worse.

I drove 60 miles each way to buy the paint this afternoon, (nearest BMW Auto dealer), only to find the parts dept. closes at 1430 on Fridays. bncry.gif

Jerks.

Nice job if you can get it, as they say.

Thanks for all the tips,

Jim

g_nuse...how many riding days does 12,800hrs (in the air) get me wave.gif

Had mine done a year ago. If you want photos let me know. They look great, have held up very well and other RT owners notice very quickly.

Wayne

To remove the roundel:

1)Grind/file the end of a popsicle stick to a chisel point.

2)Use this to carefully pry up the edge of the badge.

3)Take dental floss and get it under the edge of the badge.In a back and forth motion, "saw" through the adhesive backing. (wearing leather work gloves for this is a good idea)

4)Wet the adhesive residue with lighter fluid or kerosene, and chisel it off with the popsicle stick. (this won't mark the paint/plastic. Finish with a fluid dampened rag.

I've done this many times and it works like a treat.

A plastic putty knife from your local hardware store may also work. I used this to remove the front fender reflectors from my R1100RT prior to cutting the slot for Motolight installation. I used 3M Adhesive Remover from a local auto parts store to remove the residual stuff. Heat probably is a good idea as I suspect the adhesive on the top case roundel is different from that used on the above mentioned reflectors. I like the dental floss idea. I've used 3M Weathersrtip Adhesive No. 8008 for a variety of things including attaching kneepads to airhead gastanks but don't know if that is still the current P/N.

Well the roundel came off pretty easy, just little prying and it came off leaving almost no residual adhesive...however, I WAS surprised to find there are 2 locating dowels on either side of the back of the roundel.

So be careful lifting from the top or bottom, you could snap off one or both of the dowels if you don't know they are there, ( me...).

Better to lift from the sides thumbsup.gif

Jim

John Diakonis

Jim, Piedmont Red is a tri stage color, meaning that there is a base color applied first, then another color on top followed by a clearcoat to seal everything in. If you don't do it that way it WILL appear different. When I paint BMWs' www.prismmotorcyclepainting.com I only use Glasurit paint so the procedure, colors and mettalic content is the same as the factory. Hope this helps.

Thanks John, all info helps when you are standing with the painter at the shop...

Just picked up the top case this afternoon and drove home like a proud father clap.gif

The color is near perfect and only a couple of tiny dust dimples thumbsup.gif

It looks great, thanks to all who added info to the thread wave.gif

Jim

Archived